How to range, rank folders by their size?

Dima

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2004

Hello
How to range, rank folders by their size (the same as I can find and range
files by their size in the search window)?

View-->Arrange icons by-->size.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Dima" <kopn@bk.ruDelete> wrote in message
> Hello
> How to range, rank folders by their size (the same as I can find and range
> files by their size in the search window)?

Dima

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2004

Thanks for your reply.
View-->Arrange icons by-->size does not show the size. How to see the sizes?
"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> View-->Arrange icons by-->size.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Dima" <kopn@bk.ruDelete> wrote in message
> > Hello
> > How to range, rank folders by their size (the same as I can find and range
> > files by their size in the search window)?

Make sure you are using "details" view, then set view-->choose details and
make sure size is selected.

--

> Thanks for your reply.
> View-->Arrange icons by-->size does not show the size. How to see the
> sizes?
> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
>> View-->Arrange icons by-->size.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Dima" <kopn@bk.ruDelete> wrote in message
>> > Hello
>> > How to range, rank folders by their size (the same as I can find and
>> > range
>> > files by their size in the search window)?

Dima

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2004

The size column shows sizes of files only, not folders. I did not ask about
files.

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Make sure you are using "details" view, then set view-->choose details and
> make sure size is selected.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Dima" <kopn@bk.ruDelete> wrote in message
> > Thanks for your reply.
> > View-->Arrange icons by-->size does not show the size. How to see the
> > sizes?
> > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> View-->Arrange icons by-->size.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >>
> >> "Dima" <kopn@bk.ruDelete> wrote in message

Dima,

As Rick said. In addition:

If you want to add the "Folder size" column in Detail View, read below:

Using the dirsize.dll plugin, you can add the Folder Size column for folders
in Detail View. This plugin calculates the folder size and displays it in a
column. Download Dirsize.dll plugin and place the file in Windows\System32
folder. Now, register the DLL using regsvr32 command from Start, Run dialog.

regsvr32 %Systemroot%\System32\Dirsize.dll

Next, open a folder and set it to Detail view. From the View menu, click
Choose Details. Put a checkmark near Folder Size, and click OK. Use CTRL and
+ key (Numeric Keypad) combination to resize the column width, so that the
Folder Size column is displayed correctly.

To apply this setting for all the folders, click Tools, Folder Options. In
the View tab and click Apply to all folders. To remove the feature, simply
un-register the DLL [regsvr32 /u %Systemroot%\System32\Dirsize.dll]. Ignore
error messages if any.

You can download the module from here: http://markd.mvps.org/home.asp

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"Dima" <kopn@bk.ruDelete> wrote in message
> Thanks for your reply.
> View-->Arrange icons by-->size does not show the size. How to see the
> sizes?
> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
>> View-->Arrange icons by-->size.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Dima" <kopn@bk.ruDelete> wrote in message
>> > Hello
>> > How to range, rank folders by their size (the same as I can find and
>> > range
>> > files by their size in the search window)?

Dima

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2004

Thanks Ramesh,
How to find folders and subfolders larger than certain size on a HDD?

Dima wrote:

> Thanks Ramesh,
> How to find folders and subfolders larger than certain size
> on a HDD?
Hi,

See if one of these can help you:

TreeSize (free)
http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml

TreeSize Professional
http://www.jam-software.com/treesize/index.shtml

SequoiaView
http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Dima

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2004

Thanks Torgeir Bakken

"Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:

> Dima wrote:
>
> > Thanks Ramesh,
> > How to find folders and subfolders larger than certain size
> > on a HDD?
> Hi,
>
> See if one of these can help you:
>

> TreeSize (free)
> http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml
>
> TreeSize Professional
> http://www.jam-software.com/treesize/index.shtml
>
> SequoiaView
> http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/

> the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Dima

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2004

How can any one of these search for folders ans subfolders larger than
certain size on a HDD?
How to find duplicate files on a HDD?
"Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:

> Dima wrote:
>
> > Thanks Ramesh,
> > How to find folders and subfolders larger than certain size
> > on a HDD?
> Hi,
>
> See if one of these can help you:
>

> TreeSize (free)
> http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml
>
> TreeSize Professional
> http://www.jam-software.com/treesize/index.shtml
>
> SequoiaView
> http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/

> the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Perhaps sorting the listing by size?

Dima wrote:

> How can any one of these search for folders ans subfolders larger than
> certain size on a HDD?
> How to find duplicate files on a HDD?
> "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:
>

>>Dima wrote:
>>

>>>Thanks Ramesh,
>>>How to find folders and subfolders larger than certain size
>>>on a HDD?
>>
>>Hi,
>>
>>See if one of these can help you:
>>

>>TreeSize (free)
>>http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml
>>
>>TreeSize Professional
>>http://www.jam-software.com/treesize/index.shtml
>>
>>SequoiaView
>>http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/
>>

>>--
>>torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
>>Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of
>>the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
>>http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.mspx

Dima

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2004

The listing by size does not show large subfolders, but the listed folders
only.

"Bob I" wrote:

> Perhaps sorting the listing by size?
>
> Dima wrote:
>
> > How can any one of these search for folders ans subfolders larger than
> > certain size on a HDD?
> > How to find duplicate files on a HDD?

> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>See if one of these can help you:
> >>

> >>TreeSize (free)
> >>http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml
> >>
> >>TreeSize Professional
> >>http://www.jam-software.com/treesize/index.shtml
> >>
> >>SequoiaView
> >>http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/
> >>

> >>--
> >>torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
> >>Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of
> >>the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
> >>http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.mspx

TRENDING THREADS