Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What happened to the light?

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
September 22, 2012 4:48:50 AM

Back in the day of Win XP, which was about 6 months ago for me, when I ejected a device via "safely remove hardware" the light in the usb drive or on the computer reader in the case of an SD would go out and I'd get a message that it was "safe to remove ..."
Now, with Win 7 on the same machine, I get the message but the light stays on. This is also true of a brand new ASUS laptop I bought with Win 7 pre-installed. My sister just got a new laptop from her employer and it does the same thing.
So, since I see the same result on 3 unrelated machines, which reduces the odds that I am causing the problem, I'm wondering if this is a "feature" of Win 7, is it a bug that is fixable or is it the water in this area and no one else has noticed this event?
I'm concerned because I'm getting a lot of messages that the device was not properly ejected and I hardly ever got that with XP, and then usually because I had removed it improperly.
Thanks

More about : happened light

September 22, 2012 4:53:08 AM

Well from a person that has been a heavy pc user for 20 years now and never ejected a device ever lol it is not a problem i have never corrupted or lost anything.. Just don't worry about it.
a b $ Windows 7
September 22, 2012 5:08:37 AM

Just tries that on 3 machines, Desktop and laptop running Win 7, light stayed on. Desktop running Win 8, light goes out. Moral of this story is...
Related resources
September 22, 2012 5:19:10 AM

dodger46 said:
Just tries that on 3 machines, Desktop and laptop running Win 7, light stayed on. Desktop running Win 8, light goes out. Moral of this story is...

Moral is why does something that was practical (a visual indication of the status of an external device) and worked well not work in Win 7? If the activity light is on when you get a message the CD/DVD burn is complete, are you going to ignore the light and eject it? Same with this or so it seems.
September 22, 2012 5:21:50 AM

thently said:
Well from a person that has been a heavy pc user for 20 years now and never ejected a device ever lol it is not a problem i have never corrupted or lost anything.. Just don't worry about it.


LOL. You are so lucky. Would you send me 6 numbers between 1 and 53 (no repeats)?
a b $ Windows 7
September 22, 2012 5:50:39 AM

dave1310 said:
Moral is why does something that was practical (a visual indication of the status of an external device) and worked well not work in Win 7? If the activity light is on when you get a message the CD/DVD burn is complete, are you going to ignore the light and eject it? Same with this or so it seems.

Perhaps they realised the error of their ways and corrected the situation, but you need to upgrade to 8 to reap the benefits....
They saw the light!! (Sorry...)
a b $ Windows 7
September 22, 2012 5:54:44 AM

sounds like to me the updated joke to is your frig light still on....
a b $ Windows 7
September 22, 2012 10:37:06 AM

When you send dave1310 his 6 numbers, can I have 6 non-repeated whole prime numbers between 1 and 5.
September 22, 2012 2:14:51 PM

dodger46 said:
Perhaps they realised the error of their ways and corrected the situation, but you need to upgrade to 8 to reap the benefits....
They saw the light!! (Sorry...)


Thanks. Even puns are acceptable if accompanied by useful information. (and that one wasn't bad. I must say.)
September 22, 2012 2:20:23 PM

das_stig said:
When you send dave1310 his 6 numbers, can I have 6 non-repeated whole prime numbers between 1 and 5.


Hummm No.
I think "whole" is redundant in describing a prime number but it does make the sentence flow better, doesn't it? ;) 
September 25, 2012 8:35:48 PM

1,7,q,another q,the batman symbol,annd a duck.
!