I have a problem which many others seem to share, which is that the Scanner
and Camera Wizard has suddenly ceased to appear automatically when
downloading from a camera. Until a few days ago, I could plug my Olympus
into my computer with a USB lead, and a box would crop up offering several
courses of action. I would choose the one which permitted downloading the
camera files to a folder. Next the Scanner and Camera Wizard would pop up,
and after a few clicks, the camera files would be downloaded to my hard
drive, and any unwanted shots would be deleted. I mention all this because
some people appear to think that the Scanner and Camera Install Wizard is
the same thing, but it isn't.

Various cures have been put forward, like uninstalling Real Player 10,
finding wiaacmgr.exe and renaming it to Scanner and Camera Wizard, and
reinstalling the camera. I have tried these without success, and the
wiaacmgr file is not present on either of my XP computers (one Pro, the
other Home). I have also downloaded Autofix.exe, which found nothing wrong,
and tried to persuade Autoplay to do the business. I have also restored to
several different dates, to before the Wizard stopped appearing. (I think.)
And I've done sfc /scannow.

I can download the camera files by other means, but I want the Wizard back!
Does anyone know where it may have gone, or which of the latest critical
updates etc. may have clobbered it? Has Windows Image stuff deleted it?

David Kelsey

Further step. I have found wiaacmgr.exe on my XP Pro computer. I have
installed the Olympus on the machine by adding a device, and it appears OK,
but when I try to open wiaacmgr.exe, it thinks about it and then gives the
error:
--------------------------
The computer cannot detect the scanner or camera. Please make sure the
device is turned on and properly connected to the computer.
--------------------------
Well, it is actually turned off, because that is what you have to do with an
Olympus camera when downloading and it is connected by a USB cable. The
error message is one which habitually cropped up whenever I tried to get a
scanner recognised, and the cure was usually to restart. It makes no
difference if I turn it on anyway.

The camera appears in MY Computer, both as a storage device and as a camera,
now that I have reinstalled it. Neither brings up the S & C Wizard on right
click and 'get pictures'. It is possible that the camera driver is not
correct, since the camera is not found in the camera list in hardware
install, and the CD that came with the camera produces the usual 'This does
not contain any information about your device.'

But I haven't had all this nonsense before in the year or two I have been
using the camera.

David Kelsey

"David Kelsey" <david_kelseyNO@SPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a problem which many others seem to share, which is that the Scanner
>and Camera Wizard has suddenly ceased to appear automatically when
>downloading from a camera. Until a few days ago, I could plug my Olympus
>into my computer with a USB lead, and a box would crop up offering several
>courses of action. I would choose the one which permitted downloading the
>camera files to a folder. Next the Scanner and Camera Wizard would pop up,
>and after a few clicks, the camera files would be downloaded to my hard
>drive, and any unwanted shots would be deleted. I mention all this because
>some people appear to think that the Scanner and Camera Install Wizard is
>the same thing, but it isn't.
>
> Various cures have been put forward, like uninstalling Real Player 10,
> finding wiaacmgr.exe and renaming it to Scanner and Camera Wizard, and
> reinstalling the camera. I have tried these without success, and the
> wiaacmgr file is not present on either of my XP computers (one Pro, the
> other Home). I have also downloaded Autofix.exe, which found nothing
> wrong, and tried to persuade Autoplay to do the business. I have also
> restored to several different dates, to before the Wizard stopped
> appearing. (I think.) And I've done sfc /scannow.
>
> I can download the camera files by other means, but I want the Wizard
> back! Does anyone know where it may have gone, or which of the latest
> critical updates etc. may have clobbered it? Has Windows Image stuff
> deleted it?
>
> David Kelsey

I have exactly the same issue as described below. Another solution offered
is to manually restart the Windows Image Acquisition service (one way to
access this is by running 'services.msc'). This service supposedly provides
the C&S Wizard with the ability to identify and transfer the images. When I
attempt the manual start (WIA never starts on my system, even though it's set
to Automatic), I get an Error 1067 message saying that the process terminated
unexpectedly.

What's the deal here, Microsoft? It seems that you've broken your own
utility.

"David Kelsey" wrote:

> [...]
> >some people appear to think that the Scanner and Camera Install Wizard is
> >the same thing, but it isn't.
> >
> > Various cures have been put forward, like uninstalling Real Player 10,
> > finding wiaacmgr.exe and renaming it to Scanner and Camera Wizard, and
> > reinstalling the camera. I have tried these without success, and the
> > wiaacmgr file is not present on either of my XP computers (one Pro, the
> > other Home). I have also downloaded Autofix.exe, which found nothing
> > wrong, and tried to persuade Autoplay to do the business. I have also
> > restored to several different dates, to before the Wizard stopped
> > appearing. (I think.) And I've done sfc /scannow.
> >
> > I can download the camera files by other means, but I want the Wizard
> > back! Does anyone know where it may have gone, or which of the latest
> > critical updates etc. may have clobbered it? Has Windows Image stuff

rking

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
camera problem..plug in camera l clik computer,lclik disk K and autoplay at top,the box we need opens clik import pics and check always do this for pics, at bottom clik set autoplayin control panel andclik import pics using windows, at top check use autoplay for all media and devices ,clik save at bottom. unplug vamera and replug.there is the missing import box. hope this helps , ps i,m using vistaq premium.