Windows Messenger always started

I'd remove the windows messenger by uncheck it at Add or Remove Program
> Windows Component.

But it still started everytime I start windows.
I saw the files still reside in Program Files > Messenger.

The Windows Messenger is not started in a way that I can see it. No
icon or anything ... but when I open the Task Manager, I saw that
process (msmsgs.exe) in the process list.

Anyway to remove it?

Peter CCH
2 answers Last reply
More about windows messenger started

    Stop Windows Messenger from Auto-Starting:

    Disable the Contacts Pane. View | Layout.

    If that does not do it, see:

    http://www.fjsmjs.com/OE/disabmes.htm

    And, you can try this:

    Go to Start>Run>Regedit>OK. Find and delete the
    following Registry Key:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    \Software
    \Microsoft
    \Windows
    \CurrentVersion
    \Run
    \MSMSGS - {Delete}

    Alternatively, for XP/SP2 only:

    If you want to disable Windows Messenger completely, use the Manage Add-on
    feature.
    Open IE - Hold Alt - Tap T and A. Disable Windows Messenger. It can be
    enabled in the future should you want to.

    Bruce Hagen
    MS MVP - (IE/OE)
    ~IB-CA~

    Peter CCH wrote:

    > I'd remove the windows messenger by uncheck it at Add or Remove
    > Program
    >> Windows Component.
    >
    > But it still started everytime I start windows.
    > I saw the files still reside in Program Files > Messenger.
    >
    > The Windows Messenger is not started in a way that I can see it. No
    > icon or anything ... but when I open the Task Manager, I saw that
    > process (msmsgs.exe) in the process list.

    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_mess_disable.htm - Disable/Remove
    Windows Messenger

    Malke
    --