Mikey

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I haver created a new screensaver (currently as an scr on my desktop) but
cannot seem to install it into the list displayed in the screensaver section
of display in control panel.Could anybody advise on how to install it? (xp)
When I right click and configure, the screensaver plays, when I install it
takes me to the list but I cannot see how to get it in there.Thanks in
advance for any replies

Try putting it in your system32 folder?

"mikey" <mikey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I haver created a new screensaver (currently as an scr on my desktop) but
> cannot seem to install it into the list displayed in the screensaver
> section
> of display in control panel.Could anybody advise on how to install it?
> (xp)
> When I right click and configure, the screensaver plays, when I install it
> takes me to the list but I cannot see how to get it in there.Thanks in
> advance for any replies

When you right-click and Configure, it should bring up a dialog box with
configuration options. Right-click and Test should play. And yes, put into
%windir%\system32.

"darkrats" <darkrats@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Try putting it in your system32 folder?
>

> "mikey" <mikey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I haver created a new screensaver (currently as an scr on my desktop) but
>> cannot seem to install it into the list displayed in the screensaver
>> section
>> of display in control panel.Could anybody advise on how to install it?
>> (xp)
>> When I right click and configure, the screensaver plays, when I install
>> it
>> takes me to the list but I cannot see how to get it in there.Thanks in
>> advance for any replies

Mikey

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

when I right click it doesnt give me an option box it just plays
I have put it in my system 32 directory with no joy also in
servicepackfiles/i386 which also have the identical list in but to no avail
Do I need to reboot for these to take effect?

"Code-Curious Mom" wrote:

> When you right-click and Configure, it should bring up a dialog box with
> configuration options. Right-click and Test should play. And yes, put into
> %windir%\system32.
>
> "darkrats" <darkrats@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Try putting it in your system32 folder?
> >

> > "mikey" <mikey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>I haver created a new screensaver (currently as an scr on my desktop) but
> >> cannot seem to install it into the list displayed in the screensaver
> >> section
> >> of display in control panel.Could anybody advise on how to install it?
> >> (xp)
> >> When I right click and configure, the screensaver plays, when I install
> >> it
> >> takes me to the list but I cannot see how to get it in there.Thanks in
> >> advance for any replies

You say 'I have created a new screensaver'. How did you create it? Does
right-click and Test make the scr play? No reboot is needed here. It
doesn't belong in the servicepack folder.

> when I right click it doesnt give me an option box it just plays
> I have put it in my system 32 directory with no joy also in
> servicepackfiles/i386 which also have the identical list in but to no
> avail
> Do I need to reboot for these to take effect?
>
> "Code-Curious Mom" wrote:
>
>> When you right-click and Configure, it should bring up a dialog box with
>> configuration options. Right-click and Test should play. And yes, put
>> into
>> %windir%\system32.
>>
>> "darkrats" <darkrats@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Try putting it in your system32 folder?
>> >

>> > "mikey" <mikey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Mikey

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi to Code-Curious Mom , thanks for your interest
I created it in Photodex pro show gold
Currently I have it installed in my system 32 directory and since I have
rebooted , it is now resident in the usual screensaver list as "none" ie it
has replaced the "none" setting but still lets me preview and adjust the
settings
Curiously there is now another entry in the list with no name - just a plain
blue bar as though I have selected a totally blank space and this one is now
the real "none" selection as it doesnt contain one and doesnt let me alter
settings or preview it
Any ideas on how to rename them in the list - it hasnt picked up the name of
my scr file!

"Code-Curious Mom" wrote:

> You say 'I have created a new screensaver'. How did you create it? Does
> right-click and Test make the scr play? No reboot is needed here. It
> doesn't belong in the servicepack folder.
>
> "mikey" <mikey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > when I right click it doesnt give me an option box it just plays
> > I have put it in my system 32 directory with no joy also in
> > servicepackfiles/i386 which also have the identical list in but to no
> > avail
> > Do I need to reboot for these to take effect?
> >
> > "Code-Curious Mom" wrote:
> >
> >> When you right-click and Configure, it should bring up a dialog box with
> >> configuration options. Right-click and Test should play. And yes, put
> >> into
> >> %windir%\system32.
> >>
> >> "darkrats" <darkrats@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Nightowl

Distinguished
May 17, 2001

mikey wrote on Wed, 20 Jul 2005:

>Any ideas on how to rename them in the list - it hasnt picked up the name of
>my scr file!

Try putting "ss" (without quotes) as the first two letters of the name.
E.g. if the screensaver is called Mikey.scr, rename it to ssMikey.scr

HTH
--
Nightowl

You could try renaming it to something 8 letters or less(or try the ss thing
recommeded by nightowl and in the link below). Check to see if any of the
info at
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm#ssis applicable(scroll up and
down). The currently installed scr is listed in the registry
atHKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\SCRNSAVE.EXEDon't mess with the
registry if you don't know what you're doing, however.I don't know if
changing it there would affect the list."Nightowl" <owl@[127.0.0.1]> wrote
in message news:8uuZriAybo3CFwuz@black.hole...
> mikey wrote on Wed, 20 Jul 2005:
>
>>Any ideas on how to rename them in the list - it hasnt picked up the name
>>of
>>my scr file!
>
> Try putting "ss" (without quotes) as the first two letters of the name.
> E.g. if the screensaver is called Mikey.scr, rename it to ssMikey.scr
>
> HTH
> --
> Nightowl

Mikey

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

renaming with ss or less than 8 letters didnt do the trick
have read some of kellys corner but at this stage not happy to play around
with the registry so might just have a basic slide show in my pics - will try
the photodex support lines to see if they can offer any other ideas
All contributors help was greatly appreciated

"Code-Curious Mom" wrote:

> You could try renaming it to something 8 letters or less(or try the ss thing
> recommeded by nightowl and in the link below). Check to see if any of the
> info at
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm#ssis applicable(scroll up and
> down). The currently installed scr is listed in the registry
> atHKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\SCRNSAVE.EXEDon't mess with the
> registry if you don't know what you're doing, however.I don't know if
> changing it there would affect the list."Nightowl" <owl@[127.0.0.1]> wrote
> in message news:8uuZriAybo3CFwuz@black.hole...
> > mikey wrote on Wed, 20 Jul 2005:
> >
> >>Any ideas on how to rename them in the list - it hasnt picked up the name
> >>of
> >>my scr file!
> >
> > Try putting "ss" (without quotes) as the first two letters of the name.
> > E.g. if the screensaver is called Mikey.scr, rename it to ssMikey.scr
> >
> > HTH
> > --
> > Nightowl

Mikey

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Photodex finally came up with the goodies. Apparently some sytems require a
double name to be entered eg "mikey name.scr" and hoorah it works - does
anybody know why?

"mikey" wrote:

> renaming with ss or less than 8 letters didnt do the trick
> have read some of kellys corner but at this stage not happy to play around
> with the registry so might just have a basic slide show in my pics - will try
> the photodex support lines to see if they can offer any other ideas
> All contributors help was greatly appreciated
>
> "Code-Curious Mom" wrote:
>
> > You could try renaming it to something 8 letters or less(or try the ss thing
> > recommeded by nightowl and in the link below). Check to see if any of the
> > info at
> > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm#ssis applicable(scroll up and
> > down). The currently installed scr is listed in the registry
> > atHKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\SCRNSAVE.EXEDon't mess with the
> > registry if you don't know what you're doing, however.I don't know if
> > changing it there would affect the list."Nightowl" <owl@[127.0.0.1]> wrote
> > in message news:8uuZriAybo3CFwuz@black.hole...

> > > Try putting "ss" (without quotes) as the first two letters of the name.
> > > E.g. if the screensaver is called Mikey.scr, rename it to ssMikey.scr
> > >
> > > HTH
> > > --
> > > Nightowl

You're welcome. Weird, haven't a clue why, but glad you got it working.