install new screensaver

I haver created a new screensaver (currently as an scr on my desktop) but
cannot seem to install it into the list displayed in the screensaver section
of display in control panel.Could anybody advise on how to install it? (xp)
When I right click and configure, the screensaver plays, when I install it
takes me to the list but I cannot see how to get it in there.Thanks in
advance for any replies
10 answers Last reply
More about install screensaver

    Try putting it in your system32 folder?

    "mikey" <mikey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I haver created a new screensaver (currently as an scr on my desktop) but
    > cannot seem to install it into the list displayed in the screensaver
    > section
    > of display in control panel.Could anybody advise on how to install it?
    > (xp)
    > When I right click and configure, the screensaver plays, when I install it
    > takes me to the list but I cannot see how to get it in there.Thanks in
    > advance for any replies

    When you right-click and Configure, it should bring up a dialog box with
    configuration options. Right-click and Test should play. And yes, put into
    %windir%\system32.

    "darkrats" <darkrats@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Try putting it in your system32 folder?
    >

    > "mikey" <mikey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>I haver created a new screensaver (currently as an scr on my desktop) but
    >> cannot seem to install it into the list displayed in the screensaver
    >> section
    >> of display in control panel.Could anybody advise on how to install it?
    >> (xp)
    >> When I right click and configure, the screensaver plays, when I install
    >> it
    >> takes me to the list but I cannot see how to get it in there.Thanks in
    >> advance for any replies

    when I right click it doesnt give me an option box it just plays
    I have put it in my system 32 directory with no joy also in
    servicepackfiles/i386 which also have the identical list in but to no avail
    Do I need to reboot for these to take effect?

    "Code-Curious Mom" wrote:

    > When you right-click and Configure, it should bring up a dialog box with
    > configuration options. Right-click and Test should play. And yes, put into
    > %windir%\system32.
    >
    > "darkrats" <darkrats@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Try putting it in your system32 folder?
    > >

    > > "mikey" <mikey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >>I haver created a new screensaver (currently as an scr on my desktop) but
    > >> cannot seem to install it into the list displayed in the screensaver
    > >> section
    > >> of display in control panel.Could anybody advise on how to install it?
    > >> (xp)
    > >> When I right click and configure, the screensaver plays, when I install
    > >> it
    > >> takes me to the list but I cannot see how to get it in there.Thanks in
    > >> advance for any replies

    You say 'I have created a new screensaver'. How did you create it? Does
    right-click and Test make the scr play? No reboot is needed here. It
    doesn't belong in the servicepack folder.

    > when I right click it doesnt give me an option box it just plays
    > I have put it in my system 32 directory with no joy also in
    > servicepackfiles/i386 which also have the identical list in but to no
    > avail
    > Do I need to reboot for these to take effect?
    >
    > "Code-Curious Mom" wrote:
    >
    >> When you right-click and Configure, it should bring up a dialog box with
    >> configuration options. Right-click and Test should play. And yes, put
    >> into
    >> %windir%\system32.
    >>
    >> "darkrats" <darkrats@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > Try putting it in your system32 folder?
    >> >

    >> > "mikey" <mikey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Hi to Code-Curious Mom , thanks for your interest
    I created it in Photodex pro show gold
    Currently I have it installed in my system 32 directory and since I have
    rebooted , it is now resident in the usual screensaver list as "none" ie it
    has replaced the "none" setting but still lets me preview and adjust the
    settings
    Curiously there is now another entry in the list with no name - just a plain
    blue bar as though I have selected a totally blank space and this one is now
    the real "none" selection as it doesnt contain one and doesnt let me alter
    settings or preview it
    Any ideas on how to rename them in the list - it hasnt picked up the name of
    my scr file!

    mikey wrote on Wed, 20 Jul 2005:

    >Any ideas on how to rename them in the list - it hasnt picked up the name of
    >my scr file!

    Try putting "ss" (without quotes) as the first two letters of the name.
    E.g. if the screensaver is called Mikey.scr, rename it to ssMikey.scr

    HTH
    --
    Nightowl

    You could try renaming it to something 8 letters or less(or try the ss thing
    recommeded by nightowl and in the link below). Check to see if any of the
    info at
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm#ssis applicable(scroll up and
    down). The currently installed scr is listed in the registry
    atHKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\SCRNSAVE.EXEDon't mess with the
    registry if you don't know what you're doing, however.I don't know if
    changing it there would affect the list."Nightowl" <owl@[127.0.0.1]> wrote
    in message news:8uuZriAybo3CFwuz@black.hole...
    > mikey wrote on Wed, 20 Jul 2005:
    >
    >>Any ideas on how to rename them in the list - it hasnt picked up the name
    >>of
    >>my scr file!
    >
    > Try putting "ss" (without quotes) as the first two letters of the name.
    > E.g. if the screensaver is called Mikey.scr, rename it to ssMikey.scr
    >
    > HTH
    > --
    > Nightowl

    renaming with ss or less than 8 letters didnt do the trick
    have read some of kellys corner but at this stage not happy to play around
    with the registry so might just have a basic slide show in my pics - will try
    the photodex support lines to see if they can offer any other ideas
    All contributors help was greatly appreciated

    "Code-Curious Mom" wrote:

    > You could try renaming it to something 8 letters or less(or try the ss thing
    > recommeded by nightowl and in the link below). Check to see if any of the
    > info at
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm#ssis applicable(scroll up and
    > down). The currently installed scr is listed in the registry
    > atHKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\SCRNSAVE.EXEDon't mess with the
    > registry if you don't know what you're doing, however.I don't know if
    > changing it there would affect the list."Nightowl" <owl@[127.0.0.1]> wrote
    > in message news:8uuZriAybo3CFwuz@black.hole...
    > > mikey wrote on Wed, 20 Jul 2005:
    > >
    > >>Any ideas on how to rename them in the list - it hasnt picked up the name
    > >>of
    > >>my scr file!
    > >
    > > Try putting "ss" (without quotes) as the first two letters of the name.
    > > E.g. if the screensaver is called Mikey.scr, rename it to ssMikey.scr
    > >
    > > HTH
    > > --
    > > Nightowl

    Photodex finally came up with the goodies. Apparently some sytems require a
    double name to be entered eg "mikey name.scr" and hoorah it works - does
    anybody know why?

    "mikey" wrote:

    > renaming with ss or less than 8 letters didnt do the trick
    > have read some of kellys corner but at this stage not happy to play around
    > with the registry so might just have a basic slide show in my pics - will try
    > the photodex support lines to see if they can offer any other ideas
    > All contributors help was greatly appreciated
    >
    > "Code-Curious Mom" wrote:
    >
    > > You could try renaming it to something 8 letters or less(or try the ss thing
    > > recommeded by nightowl and in the link below). Check to see if any of the
    > > info at
    > > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm#ssis applicable(scroll up and
    > > down). The currently installed scr is listed in the registry
    > > atHKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\SCRNSAVE.EXEDon't mess with the
    > > registry if you don't know what you're doing, however.I don't know if
    > > changing it there would affect the list."Nightowl" <owl@[127.0.0.1]> wrote
    > > in message news:8uuZriAybo3CFwuz@black.hole...

    > > > Try putting "ss" (without quotes) as the first two letters of the name.
    > > > E.g. if the screensaver is called Mikey.scr, rename it to ssMikey.scr
    > > >
    > > > HTH
    > > > --
    > > > Nightowl

    You're welcome. Weird, haven't a clue why, but glad you got it working.

    > Photodex finally came up with the goodies. Apparently some sytems require
    > double name to be entered eg "mikey name.scr" and hoorah it works - does
    > anybody know why?
    >
    > "mikey" wrote:
    >
    >> renaming with ss or less than 8 letters didnt do the trick
    >> have read some of kellys corner but at this stage not happy to play
    >> around
    >> with the registry so might just have a basic slide show in my pics - will
    >> try
    >> the photodex support lines to see if they can offer any other ideas
    >> All contributors help was greatly appreciated
    >>
    >> "Code-Curious Mom" wrote:
    >>
    >> > You could try renaming it to something 8 letters or less(or try the ss
    >> > thing
    >> > recommeded by nightowl and in the link below). Check to see if any of
    >> > the
    >> > info at
    >> > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm#ssis applicable(scroll up and
    >> > down). The currently installed scr is listed in the registry
    >> > atHKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\SCRNSAVE.EXEDon't mess with
    >> > the
    >> > registry if you don't know what you're doing, however.I don't know if
    >> > changing it there would affect the list."Nightowl" <owl@[127.0.0.1]>
    >> > wrote
    >> > in message news:8uuZriAybo3CFwuz@black.hole...

Screensaver Windows XP