Services option in MSCONFIG

SNip

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2003

What purpose does the "Service" option on the Msconfig selection have? I
have used the "Startup" option to select certain tasks to run but have never
used the "Service" option. What happens if you uncheck the items that are in
this list - does it make them stop working? If some must remain checked
which ones are they?

Thanks for the info

Hello, "BlackViper" site had the information you are interested in learning,
the site is no more. There are other sites that have the "BlackViper" pages.
http://www.dead-eye.net/WinXP%20Services.htm
http://dhost.info/kyeu/mirror/blackviper/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
Look for the WindowsXP services information pages, has each service listed
and service use.
Take Care.
beamish.

"Snip" wrote:

> What purpose does the "Service" option on the Msconfig selection have? I
> have used the "Startup" option to select certain tasks to run but have never
> used the "Service" option. What happens if you uncheck the items that are in
> this list - does it make them stop working? If some must remain checked
> which ones are they?
>
> Thanks for the info

Hi Snip - Well, there's an exception to the advice you've already been
given. There are a couple of occasions when it's very useful to adjust
Services in msconfig. This is when you're running malware removal tools
such as Adaware, Spybot S&D and/or Microsoft's Anti-Spyware, OR when you
wish to minimize the possibility of interference when you're installing new
software (especially if you're one of those poor folks who have Symantec
stuff installed). You can use msconfig to perform what is known as a "Clean
Boot". The following is from my Blog, Defending Your Machine, addy in my
Signature, below:

#########IMPORTANT#########

Show hidden files and run all of the following removal tools from Safe mode
or a "Clean Boot" when possible, logged on as an Administrator. BEFORE
running these tools, be sure to clear all Temp files and your Temporary
Internet Files (TIF)(including offline content.) Reboot and test if the
malware is fixed after using each tool.

HOW TO Enable Hidden Files
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2002092715262339

Clean Boot - General Win2k/XP procedure, but see below for links for other
OS's (This for Win2k w/msconfig - you can obtain msconfig for Win2k here:
http://www.3feetunder.com/files/win2K_msconfig_setup.exe ):

1. StartRun enter msconfig.

2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then clear the 'Process
System.ini File', 'Process Win.ini File', and 'Load Startup Items' check
boxes. Leave the 'boot.ini' boxes however they are currently set.

3. In the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" checkbox,
and then click the "Disable All" button. If you use a third party firewall
then re-check (enable) it. For example, if you use Zone Alarm, re-check the
True Vector Internet Monitor service (and you may also want to re-check
(enable) the zlclient on the Startup tab.) Equivalent services exist for
other third party firewalls. An alternative to this for XP users is to
enable at this time the XP native firewall (Internet Connection Firewall -
ICF). Be sure to turn it back off when you re-enable your non-MS services
and Startup tab programs and restore your normal msconfig configuration
after cleaning your machine.

4. Click OK and then reboot.

For additional information about how to clean boot your operating system,
click the following article links to view the articles in the Microsoft
Knowledge Base:

310353 How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353
281770 How to Perform Clean-Boot Troubleshooting for Windows 2000
267288 How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows Millennium Edition
192926 How to Perform Clean-Boot Troubleshooting for Windows 98
243039 How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows 95
#########IMPORTANT#########

--
Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:

"Snip" <Snip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> What purpose does the "Service" option on the Msconfig selection
> have? I have used the "Startup" option to select certain tasks to
> run but have never used the "Service" option. What happens if you
> uncheck the items that are in this list - does it make them stop
> working? If some must remain checked which ones are they?
>
> Thanks for the info

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 03:59:02 -0700, "Snip"
<Snip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>What purpose does the "Service" option on the Msconfig selection have? I
>have used the "Startup" option to select certain tasks to run but have never
>used the "Service" option. What happens if you uncheck the items that are in
>this list - does it make them stop working? If some must remain checked
>which ones are they?

If you MUST change the status of some service, use services.msc NOT
msconfig.

And be sure you know what you're doing and make a record of exactly
what you've done.

The most common change in services status that people use is if they
are on an individual computer, not part of a local area network, and
they have no valid use for the messenger service, they disable it
because it can be used for a form of popup spam.

It is very easy to screw up your system with changes in services
status.

dl

Unless you know what you're doing - unlikely :) - don't touch!
If you disable a required service all manner of apps/win processes may stop
working, which ones you require depend on how the 'individual' sys is
setup/used.

"Snip" <Snip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> What purpose does the "Service" option on the Msconfig selection have? I
> have used the "Startup" option to select certain tasks to run but have
never
> used the "Service" option. What happens if you uncheck the items that are
in
> this list - does it make them stop working? If some must remain checked
> which ones are they?
>
> Thanks for the info

Yes, altering the Services configuration incorrectly can cause problems.

>> If some must remain checked which ones are they?

Microsoft Windows XP - Default settings for services:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/sys_srv_default_settings.mspx

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
> Unless you know what you're doing - unlikely :) - don't touch!
> If you disable a required service all manner of apps/win processes may
> stop
> working, which ones you require depend on how the 'individual' sys is
> setup/used.
>
> "Snip" <Snip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> What purpose does the "Service" option on the Msconfig selection have? I
>> have used the "Startup" option to select certain tasks to run but have
> never
>> used the "Service" option. What happens if you uncheck the items that
>> are
> in
>> this list - does it make them stop working? If some must remain checked
>> which ones are they?
>>
>> Thanks for the info

TRENDING THREADS