Services option in MSCONFIG

What purpose does the "Service" option on the Msconfig selection have? I
have used the "Startup" option to select certain tasks to run but have never
used the "Service" option. What happens if you uncheck the items that are in
this list - does it make them stop working? If some must remain checked
which ones are they?

Thanks for the info
5 answers Last reply
More about services option msconfig

    Hello, "BlackViper" site had the information you are interested in learning,
    the site is no more. There are other sites that have the "BlackViper" pages.
    http://www.dead-eye.net/WinXP%20Services.htm
    http://dhost.info/kyeu/mirror/blackviper/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
    Look for the WindowsXP services information pages, has each service listed
    and service use.
    Take Care.
    beamish.

    "Snip" wrote:

    > What purpose does the "Service" option on the Msconfig selection have? I
    > have used the "Startup" option to select certain tasks to run but have never
    > used the "Service" option. What happens if you uncheck the items that are in
    > this list - does it make them stop working? If some must remain checked
    > which ones are they?
    >
    > Thanks for the info

    Hi Snip - Well, there's an exception to the advice you've already been
    given. There are a couple of occasions when it's very useful to adjust
    Services in msconfig. This is when you're running malware removal tools
    such as Adaware, Spybot S&D and/or Microsoft's Anti-Spyware, OR when you
    wish to minimize the possibility of interference when you're installing new
    software (especially if you're one of those poor folks who have Symantec
    stuff installed). You can use msconfig to perform what is known as a "Clean
    Boot". The following is from my Blog, Defending Your Machine, addy in my
    Signature, below:

    #########IMPORTANT#########

    Show hidden files and run all of the following removal tools from Safe mode
    or a "Clean Boot" when possible, logged on as an Administrator. BEFORE
    running these tools, be sure to clear all Temp files and your Temporary
    Internet Files (TIF)(including offline content.) Reboot and test if the
    malware is fixed after using each tool.

    HOW TO Enable Hidden Files
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2002092715262339

    Clean Boot - General Win2k/XP procedure, but see below for links for other
    OS's (This for Win2k w/msconfig - you can obtain msconfig for Win2k here:
    http://www.3feetunder.com/files/win2K_msconfig_setup.exe ):

    1. StartRun enter msconfig.

    2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then clear the 'Process
    System.ini File', 'Process Win.ini File', and 'Load Startup Items' check
    boxes. Leave the 'boot.ini' boxes however they are currently set.

    3. In the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" checkbox,
    and then click the "Disable All" button. If you use a third party firewall
    then re-check (enable) it. For example, if you use Zone Alarm, re-check the
    True Vector Internet Monitor service (and you may also want to re-check
    (enable) the zlclient on the Startup tab.) Equivalent services exist for
    other third party firewalls. An alternative to this for XP users is to
    enable at this time the XP native firewall (Internet Connection Firewall -
    ICF). Be sure to turn it back off when you re-enable your non-MS services
    and Startup tab programs and restore your normal msconfig configuration
    after cleaning your machine.

    4. Click OK and then reboot.

    For additional information about how to clean boot your operating system,
    click the following article links to view the articles in the Microsoft
    Knowledge Base:

    310353 How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353
    281770 How to Perform Clean-Boot Troubleshooting for Windows 2000
    267288 How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows Millennium Edition
    192926 How to Perform Clean-Boot Troubleshooting for Windows 98
    243039 How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows 95
    #########IMPORTANT#########

    --
    Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
    My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:

    "Snip" <Snip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > What purpose does the "Service" option on the Msconfig selection
    > have? I have used the "Startup" option to select certain tasks to
    > run but have never used the "Service" option. What happens if you
    > uncheck the items that are in this list - does it make them stop
    > working? If some must remain checked which ones are they?
    >
    > Thanks for the info

    On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 03:59:02 -0700, "Snip"
    <Snip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >What purpose does the "Service" option on the Msconfig selection have? I
    >have used the "Startup" option to select certain tasks to run but have never
    >used the "Service" option. What happens if you uncheck the items that are in
    >this list - does it make them stop working? If some must remain checked
    >which ones are they?

    If you MUST change the status of some service, use services.msc NOT
    msconfig.

    And be sure you know what you're doing and make a record of exactly
    what you've done.

    The most common change in services status that people use is if they
    are on an individual computer, not part of a local area network, and
    they have no valid use for the messenger service, they disable it
    because it can be used for a form of popup spam.

    It is very easy to screw up your system with changes in services
    status.

    Unless you know what you're doing - unlikely :) - don't touch!
    If you disable a required service all manner of apps/win processes may stop
    working, which ones you require depend on how the 'individual' sys is
    setup/used.

    "Snip" <Snip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > What purpose does the "Service" option on the Msconfig selection have? I
    > have used the "Startup" option to select certain tasks to run but have
    never
    > used the "Service" option. What happens if you uncheck the items that are
    in
    > this list - does it make them stop working? If some must remain checked
    > which ones are they?
    >
    > Thanks for the info

    Yes, altering the Services configuration incorrectly can cause problems.

    >> If some must remain checked which ones are they?

    Microsoft Windows XP - Default settings for services:
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/sys_srv_default_settings.mspx

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
    > Unless you know what you're doing - unlikely :) - don't touch!
    > If you disable a required service all manner of apps/win processes may
    > stop
    > working, which ones you require depend on how the 'individual' sys is
    > setup/used.
    >
    > "Snip" <Snip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> What purpose does the "Service" option on the Msconfig selection have? I
    >> have used the "Startup" option to select certain tasks to run but have
    > never
    >> used the "Service" option. What happens if you uncheck the items that
    >> are
    > in
    >> this list - does it make them stop working? If some must remain checked
    >> which ones are they?
    >>
    >> Thanks for the info

Microsoft Msconfig Windows XP