Sign in with
Your question

Weird Outlook Issue

Last response: in Business Computing
February 14, 2012 12:53:21 PM

I have a guy here that has a few PST's that will randomly lose continuity with Outlook.

When you close and reopen Outlook they work fine, and how frequent that happens seems to be annoying.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to fix this?

More about : weird outlook issue

February 14, 2012 1:00:21 PM

Happens frequently at work, usual suspect with ours is typically the size of the PST file.

Usually I would simply rename the current one to archive_old.pst and start a fresh one.

Other than that it could be a few things, what version of outlook are you using?
February 14, 2012 1:09:27 PM

I was kind of leaning towards that as well, as I'm sure they are extremely large.

His machine is running Windows 7 and Office Pro 2003 - (03 due to the functionality of our PO system).
Related resources
February 14, 2012 1:15:02 PM

If the PST's or on a network share or seperate drive the network or drive could be disconnecting due to hardware or in the case of network traffic issues. Hence, the PST's will disappear. The troubleshooting technique would be to place the disconnecting PST's in the same root folder as the main PST and reconnecting to see if issue continues. It is unlikely two PST's would exhibit the same symptoms unless there was a hardware issue involved.
February 14, 2012 1:34:45 PM

If its anything like it is here at the NHS then its generally that the files are just huge; we had one above 2 gig and office 03 is unable to comprehend it correctly and tends to flood the system a little.

There may very well be a fix for it but from experience its really not worth the faff around, a few of our staff have given it a go but never really found a way to sort it; we have a similar issue that some of our patient care systems are limited to office 2003.

We never really seem to have any problems on our machines that dont need 03 and have 07 or 2010. Very possible its just a major issue of large files + 03 + likely a low spec pc which cant handle the confused software.
January 31, 2013 12:15:56 PM

if the pst is on 2003 it shouldn't be above 2gb otherwise you will experience all kind of weird issues. In 2010 they up graded it and say that the recommended limit is 20gb but i have had them corrupt way before that . try the repair tool as shown above if it is close or over the recommended limit split the emails over two pst's to even the load.
January 31, 2013 5:21:54 PM

it guy_10 said:
if the pst is on 2003 it shouldn't be above 2gb otherwise you will experience all kind of weird issues. In 2010 they up graded it and say that the recommended limit is 20gb but i have had them corrupt way before that . try the repair tool as shown above if it is close or over the recommended limit split the emails over two pst's to even the load.

The default 20GB size limit refers to 2003/2007. 2010 raised that to 50GB. Either can be increased with some registry edits. A .pst created by Outlook 2000 or earlier is hard limited to 2GB. Exceed that 2GB by even 1 byte and the file becomes unusable. In addition .pst files are NOT to be used across a network. Such use is completely unsupported by Microsoft and will eventually result in corruption, and possibly complete loss, of the file.
!