Question:French Line Infantry Amer-Revolution

Hello and here is my questions:

*How many battalions were in a French line infantry regiment during the period
of the American Revolutionary War?

* How many Grenadier/Light/Line Companies were in a French line infantry
battalion/regiment at this time?

If possible, please list your source matterial.
Thanks much,
TomS.
Avalon, PA.

LT SITE wrote:
> Hello and here is my questions:
>
> *How many battalions were in a French line infantry regiment during the period
> of the American Revolutionary War?
>
> * How many Grenadier/Light/Line Companies were in a French line infantry
> battalion/regiment at this time?
>
> If possible, please list your source matterial.
> Thanks much,
> TomS.
> Avalon, PA.

Asking a question once is usually enough.

This is not my perod but . . .

I'd bet the "full strength" complement was probably 10 companies. One
of these may have been a Grenadier Company. Seriously doubt they had
light compainies. Indeed, the French may not have had any light
infantry at all -- at this point in time. They relied upon Foreign
Regiments for this role. Colonial Troops might have been "light".

Were the French units "full strength"??? If they came from the Caribian
most certainly not. Malaria and Yellow fever were real big problems.

Line Companies might have run as much as 80 to 85 men -- at full strength.

Grenadier Compainies would have been less -- probably 45 to 60 men. --
That's assuming there were any at all. In my reading I have never seen
a reference to French Grenadiers in North America.

Sorry my info starts about 1795. Probably not the best source on this
subject.

mjc