Setting up a Media Center

Planning on setting up a media center PC. I want it to be able to do a few things:

1.) Work as a DVR for analog and HD Digital broadcasts

2.) Play DVDs, with the potential of playing Blu-Rays in the near future (will wait for blu-ray burner prices to go down, because i have no need for blu-rays now)

3.) Watch internet TV, hulu etc, and play music...basic computer stuff.

Couple questions.

1.) I was looking at getting a Hauppauge TV tuner. However, I am reading that Comcast (unfortunately my only TV option), currently encrypts all their digital channels, and thus i would be unable to pick them up with my TV tuner. Is that true? What if I run the line through the comcast receiver? Is there any other way around this, or are all computer DVRs currently worthless for digital channels?

2.) How powerful of a processor is necessary? How powerful of a graphics card is necessary?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116036&cm_re=Hauppauge-_-15-116-036-_-Product

Thanks,

~Lyuokdea
1 answer Last reply
More about setting media center
  1. Running the line through the Comcast receiver mean you'll need the Comcast to change the channel then you don't need the Hauppauge TV tuner.

I recomemd you check the RECOMEMDED requirement for blu-ray playback. I use an old AMD athlon 64 X2 3000+, ATI HD2400, LG CH08LS10 DVD/BD combo on a Vantec Nexstar DX enclosure and WinDVD 9 plus and it works great. Also use the player on my laptop with Intel T-5550 and ATI HD-3470 and using HDMI to connect to my TV and it works as good.

Windows XP, Vista and 7 all work with both setup.
Ask a new question

Read More

HDTV TV Media Center Home Theatre Product