Creating a link between UNIX and Windows XP

Hi,

I am trying to connect a UNIX system to a windows XP system via
parallel/serial. Is this possible and if so do i need extra software
and how do I go about doing it. I use the UNIX through a terminal and
the WINXP is connected to a LAN.

Thanks in advance
Paul

<xtasia@lycos.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to connect a UNIX system to a windows XP system via
> parallel/serial. Is this possible and if so do i need extra software
> and how do I go about doing it. I use the UNIX through a terminal and
> the WINXP is connected to a LAN.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Paul

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're using an X-Terminal of some kind.
If that is the case, then there is absolutely no way to connect the two.
However, I believe there is thin client emulation software for the PC.

Your best bet is to get them communicating through the IP network. However,
if your using some sort of SLIP (do they still use SLIP?) connection into
the UNIX host over dial-up, that is not likely to happen as your PC would
also need compatible access to the remote host.

Good Luck,

Carl

You can not get a realiable link between Unix and Windows using
serial/parallel connections. First, XP will not allow your to directly
access the hardware. Second, these two technologies are old and slow.

If you can, you can set up these two system onto a network, Then you can
look on setting up either NFS access or SMB access (using Samba).