cool headphone set-up? which card and headphones?

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
i`m interested in a headphone only set-up for my computer
i have neither room or money for a large 5.1 set-up and my wife would kill me with the noise pollution
so which headphones should i get and would they work with like say a audigy 2zs ?

hear me now, believe me later, trust me in between
i`m a cop you idiot
i`ll be back

masteraleph

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
Pricerange and main useage? There are different answers for music and gaming, and also for pricerange...as with speakers, they can range from the $50 pair that's a significant boost from any $10 set you've ever heard to the pricerange of a small car.

Also, do you plan on using in the same room as the wife? Open headphones tend to sound slightly better for the price, but leak noise to the room around. However, they won't bother people outside, like speakers can.

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
well right now i`m using sony mdr-v6 headphones for gaming, which i think are pretty good. i`ve just been hearing so much about 5.1 headphones i thought i should possibly give them a try. as far as price i don`t see any problem in spending 3k on a pair of home speakers but as far as headphones around 100-150 seems the highest i would go.
my wife would be approx 10` from me, usually watching tv.

hear me now, believe me later, trust me in between
i`m a cop you idiot
i`ll be back

the_Prisoner

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
Like Master said, it depends on music or gaming.
For a closed a good sounding headphone for the the price, Koss closed headphones(or Cans as they used to call them)
are a great value.

I have some old Senns with a headphone amp I bought used like 20 years ago for 100.00US, very spendy. Great for music!

I have some old Koss Pro cans, xmas present in 1976, great quality, value and price.

For the Wife/GF factor closed are best and I think they sound better.

Like any audio product, try before you buy.

the Prisoner

I'm not a number, I'm a free man! :mad: