can you load a hive with a script or cmd line

Mike

Splendid

i have a script ready to modify the default user ntuser.dat file but i have
to load the hive prior to running it any way to add the load and unload to
the script??

Mike wrote:

> i have a script ready to modify the default user ntuser.dat
> file but i have to load the hive prior to running it any way
> to add the load and unload to the script??
Hi,

You can use the command line utility reg.exe for this (it comes
builtin with WinXP).

You would need to start out with loading the default user's HKCU hive
to a *temporary* key under HKLM, like this:

reg.exe load HKLM\TempHive "C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\NTUSER.DAT"

Then you can use reg.exe to query and/or manipulate the hive,
addressing the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\TempHive key that actually
represent the HKEY_CURRENT_USER key for the default user.

When finished, unload the hive again like this:

reg.exe unload HKLM\TempHive

Run "reg.exe /?" in a command prompt for more help.

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

This is a stupid question. Without knowing your script how can we know what is appropiate. Type reg in help.