Sign in with
Your question

LG L227WTG: Overall, Phenomenal--But Possible Backlight Issue?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
April 20, 2008 12:12:45 AM

Dear Friends:

As noted in a previous thread here, I, like many computer users who love good visuals, have been trying to choose a first-rate 22" widescreen LCD monitor. As I noted in a previous thread, I was torn between the Samsung 2232BW and two of LG's new models.

My pick was ultimately the LG L227WTG. Its glossy screen and "wide color gamut" truly make its images all but pop out of the screen with vividness, detail, and depth that is almost three-dimensional. Importantly for anyone who enjoys computer games, both LG monitors offer the option of going to a 4:3 screen, something the Samsung, an otherwise excellent monitor, lacks. The latter was ultimately a "knockout factor" for the Samsung 2232BW with me.

As it seems apparent from viewing and comparing many different 22" LCD TN panels side by side, gloss screens indeed do generally afford more color vividness and image clarity, but there is a tradeoff. While all LCDs, particularly those using TN technology, are far more limited in optimal viewing angles than CRT monitors, it seems that LCDs with gloss screens have even narrower optimal viewing angles than do those with matte screens.

Overall, I would strongly recommend the LG L227WTG to anyone looking for a good, relatively affordable 22" LCD widescreen monitor. It is worth the higher price. The gloss screen, if properly located in a room with respect to other lighting, offers far more benefits than problems. The L227WTG truly is among those comparatively few LCDs whose image quality virtually matches those of good CRTs.

As with any LCD monitor, especially those with TN panels, if one views the L227WTG's screen at extreme closeup, colors darken and dull in the areas farthest from one's eyes. If one views it far from right or left, especially when too close to the screen, this darkening and dulling occur on the side farthest from the viewer.

This is, of course, most especially noticeable when viewing a mostly or all white screen--such as a Google page or, for that matter, pages in this forum. In that case, the white, as expected, darkens to a yellow. (I have been told that with LCDs, true whites are currently impossible to attain.)

The same effect occurs, but to a far lesser extent, when one views the screen dead center but at too close a distance. In the case of my specific LG monitor, this effect starts to occur noticeably (at least to my disciplined, flaws-seeking eyes) within about 15 to 16 inches of the screen; to my eyes, it might start as far back as about 19 or 20 inches. (Of course, for any 22" LCD, these distances are too close for optimal viewing!)

However, my concern stems from how it seems that the yellowing effect that occurs when viewing the monitor from the side often seems to extend slightly farther from the opposite side when one views the screen from the extreme left--meaning that for any given pair of testing positions, the yellowing effect seems to extend a bit farther (by maybe about 10 to 20 percent in distance for each comparable pair of positions) on the right side of the screen. Again, this effect and its slight but discernible asymmetry seem to be noticeable almost exclusively with all or mostly white screens.

Has anyone else noticed this apparent asymmetry with the LG227WTG? Is it common to this model, or to certain LCDs generally? Or might it indicate a potential problem with my monitor's backlighting and/or panel?

Please give me and all of us who have or who are considering the L227WTG your best advice on this. Thanks!

-o0o-

HP 763n, Pentium 4 (2.53 GHz), 80-GB hard drive, 512 MB RAM, nVidia GEForce4 MX420 graphics card (64-MB)--planning to beef up RAM to 2 GB and video card to higher level later this year (I much prefer Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 2, to Vista!)

Peripherals also include 2.1 Altec Lansing speakers, Epson printer, and HP flatbed scanner
October 25, 2008 2:25:01 PM

All TN panel LCD's have this behavior of what you are describing. My L227WTG does it when you look at it from extreme angles, as did the identical one that it replaced last month (faulty backlight/flickering). Overall this monitor is awesome and I see no backlight bleeding (aside from the very slight glow along the top and bottom edges, but EVERY LCD will have minimal bleed like this).

Now, I used to own a 24" imac with the IPS panel. While the viewing angle was much better, the way backlight bleeding occurs is worse. It looks like spotlights pointing in from the corners, rather than the soft glow of a TN. I've noticed this on EVERY imac as well as my new LG 47" TV. This is just how LCD's behave and unless you plan on spending thousands of dollars, this is all we have.

Alright, back to life. Got a honey-do-list to take care of.
October 25, 2008 8:50:11 PM

Also take into consideration that backlight is not uniform and can be that cause of your problem. Generally, brightest in the middle of the screen and 5% - 10% variance is considered to be very good/excellent. 10% - 20% variance is normal/fair. Above a 20% drop in bright is considered poor.
June 22, 2011 9:22:09 PM

my BL just failed :(  wont be getting another just because they dont make it anymore nice for the 3 year warranty . but the greyscale was appalling it flickered when it should have been graining like my nicer cheap TFT's no matter the quality of the VGA cable i'll stick to HDMI and DVI, although TFT quality can still make greys flicker. real headache - lucky LG have amazing customer service
!