Free AWI rules - Loose Files & American Scramble

Just a quick note to tell you I have just posted up the excellent AWI rules
'Loose Files and American Scramble'.

Go to http://www.wfgamers.org.uk/index.htm if you are interested.
3 answers Last reply
More about free rules loose files american scramble
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    Nick Dorrell wrote:
    > Just a quick note to tell you I have just posted up the excellent AWI rules
    > 'Loose Files and American Scramble'.
    >
    > Go to http://www.wfgamers.org.uk/index.htm if you are interested.

    Hmm. . .

    Looks like British Grenadiers conducting a bayonette charge (against
    anything else) get at least a +5. . . . and you are throwing opposing
    Average Dice (2-5) ???

    So, essentially, they can never loose --- no ???

    This means the Grenadiers always get an easy victory and their
    unfortunate foes, retreat at max speed or route?

    Every time -- against experienced Continentals? Cummon.

    Rather smacks of the Old Guarde in Bowden's Empire Rules.

    I'm no expert on the period, but did the British Grenadiers and
    Converged Lights win EVERY TIME???

    I guess if they charge repeatedly without resting they will eventually
    stagger into something that looks like a fair fight. Assuming anything
    is about to charge at that point.

    Liked the quotes.

    Thanks for the heads up.

    mjc
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    Hi mjc,

    Well the rules are 17 years old, have never been available except in old
    magazines and still are regularly mentioned whenever the question of good
    AWI rules comes up. They are IMHO the best AWI rules there are.

    I didn't write them by the way but I will do my best to answer your points.

    > Hmm. . .
    >
    > Looks like British Grenadiers conducting a bayonette charge (against
    > anything else) get at least a +5. . . . and you are throwing opposing
    > Average Dice (2-5) ???

    Well they would assuming the target is not 1st class & they don't get or
    have any D Points on the way in. Notice that each D Point is a -2 and just
    by moving you can get them! You also get them for being shot, outnumbered,
    etc. So all in all you will be very lucky if you don't have some minuses as
    well.

    In any case the US has 1st class as well. I am not sure about American
    grenadiers but there are definately some US Light Infantry. Similarly French
    grenadiers and Light infantry would be 1st class, it is not just British
    that are.

    > So, essentially, they can never loose --- no ???

    Yes you can, as I mentioned above. Also when 1st class lose it is a major
    disaster - check out what happens to friendly units when a higher class unit
    routs past them.

    > This means the Grenadiers always get an easy victory and their
    > unfortunate foes, retreat at max speed or route?
    >
    > Every time -- against experienced Continentals? Cummon.

    Well first of all the categories are just guidelines. So Grenadiers and
    Light Infantry, from both sides, are 1st class but also you could make good
    Continentals or British Line 1st class as well. I would do it very
    infrequently as 1st class are very good.

    In practice 1st class units are going to make easy work of Militia, unless
    they get lucky and / or dig in and / or the 1st class just plunge forward
    without stopping to reorganise. 2nd class Continentals though are a
    different matter. Using a bayonet charge against them, unless they are beat
    up a little is risky (remember you declare a charge then find out how
    disordered you are by it). The odds are still with you but it is risky.

    > Rather smacks of the Old Guarde in Bowden's Empire Rules.
    >
    > I'm no expert on the period, but did the British Grenadiers and
    > Converged Lights win EVERY TIME???

    Well they don't win everytime, as you would find out if you gave the rules a
    try. They are tough, very tough, but also a bit os a two edged weapon. If
    they go down you are normally in big trouble.

    > I guess if they charge repeatedly without resting they will eventually
    > stagger into something that looks like a fair fight. Assuming anything
    > is about to charge at that point.

    I think you missed 1st class's big advantage. There real big advantage is
    the ability to remove 2 DP's a turn. This is what really makes them tough.
    They will inevitably pick up DP's in a bayonet attack / charge / melee. This
    isn't a problem when facing Militia where they will have +11 (if bayonet
    attacking - +9 if not) but minus any DP's they pick up (this is a 'certain'
    victory - notice you need a difference of 9 to actually rout some one).

    2nd class would be similar as well but the big difference is that they can't
    get rid of them as quickly. This is important because any unit that has
    successfully charged is normally pretty vulnerable. So 1st class are great
    because you can pause and quickly get back into shape. Of course your
    opponent should be doing his best to not let you :)

    Remember also that you pick up DP's for doing almost anything. Anything more
    than going straight ahead is a DP, moving (even in the 'open') can give you
    DP's, etc.

    > Liked the quotes.
    >
    > Thanks for the heads up.

    I suggest you give the rules a try. They really are excellent and then you
    will see what I am talking about above. But if you don't like them then
    don't use them! The main reason I posted them is that the vast majority of
    people who have tried them love them but they are difficult to get hold of.
    But of course not everyone will like them - it's up to you.

    Nick
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    My club has been using these rules for four years and the British - not just
    the grenadiers - are practically unbeatable. Continentals generally give a good
    account of themselves and even ocasionally (and I mean ocasionally) break the
    redcoats but militia are useless. At best they score a few firing hits but more
    commonly they run like rabbits at the merest hint of a British bayonet charge.
    American cavalry...? Regularly seen riding off into the sunset...
    These rules are entertaining, but perhaps exaggerate British superiority a
    little too much.
    (Tip: give your militia some cover and keep them away from the grenadiers
    ..Skirmishers can be effective in impeding the progress of formed troops (of
    either side).
    If anyone has any queries about these rules, I'd be happy to help if I can.

    Andy

American Games Video Games