  • Clean Install
  • Ethernet Card
  • Windows XP
July 19, 2005 10:35:06 AM

I did a clean install of XP last night and today i can't use my ethernet port
to access my cable internet. USB access works no problem; but i want
ethernet so that i can run a router. What gives?

More about : ethernet clean install

July 19, 2005 1:39:57 PM

Chico wrote:
> I did a clean install of XP last night and today i can't use my
> ethernet port to access my cable internet. USB access works no
> problem; but i want ethernet so that i can run a router. What gives?

Did you install the appropriate NIC card driver?
July 19, 2005 1:39:58 PM

I used a CD that came with my Dell that said it had a driver for a Broadcom
4401 Integrtated NIC but that didn't seem to do anything. I get zero
internet connectivity with the ethernet. The computer doesn't seem to even
recognize that the ethernet port is there.

"Gordo" wrote:

> Chico wrote:
> > I did a clean install of XP last night and today i can't use my
> > ethernet port to access my cable internet. USB access works no
> > problem; but i want ethernet so that i can run a router. What gives?
>
> Did you install the appropriate NIC card driver?

July 19, 2005 1:39:59 PM

I did a reinstall of a Dell machine not too long ago and did not find out
until afterwards that NO drivers were included with disk that came with the
machine. This could be your problem. From my understanding, it is not
necessary to do clean installs with a cd with newer Dells as the disk has two
partitions one being for the normal operating system the other for a Norton
Ghost partition, that will allow you put your machine back to how it came
from Dell with a certain keystroke during boot up. This is always nice to
know BEFORE you reformat the HD. I found out too late.

"Chico" wrote:

> I used a CD that came with my Dell that said it had a driver for a Broadcom
> 4401 Integrtated NIC but that didn't seem to do anything. I get zero
> internet connectivity with the ethernet. The computer doesn't seem to even
> recognize that the ethernet port is there.
>
> "Gordo" wrote:
>
> > Chico wrote:
> > > I did a clean install of XP last night and today i can't use my
> > > ethernet port to access my cable internet. USB access works no
> > > problem; but i want ethernet so that i can run a router. What gives?
> >
> > Did you install the appropriate NIC card driver?

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 2:35:22 PM

Does it show up in Device Manager? If no, you will need to install the
driver correctly in order for the Ethernet port to be active in Windows.

"Chico" <Chico@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I used a CD that came with my Dell that said it had a driver for a Broadcom
> 4401 Integrtated NIC but that didn't seem to do anything. I get zero
> internet connectivity with the ethernet. The computer doesn't seem to
> even
> recognize that the ethernet port is there.
>
> "Gordo" wrote:
>
>> Chico wrote:
>> > I did a clean install of XP last night and today i can't use my
>> > ethernet port to access my cable internet. USB access works no
>> > problem; but i want ethernet so that i can run a router. What gives?
>>
>> Did you install the appropriate NIC card driver?

July 19, 2005 5:47:51 PM

Chico wrote:
> I did a clean install of XP last night and today i can't use my ethernet port
> to access my cable internet. USB access works no problem; but i want
> ethernet so that i can run a router. What gives?

Make SURE you reinstall the network card driver and turn the Windows
firewall off.

--
Servo @ work
"Yippee kie aye, motherf'er!"

If the problem is with the driver how come USB works but not ethernet?

"Servo" wrote:

> Chico wrote:
> > I did a clean install of XP last night and today i can't use my ethernet port
> > to access my cable internet. USB access works no problem; but i want
> > ethernet so that i can run a router. What gives?
>
> Make SURE you reinstall the network card driver and turn the Windows
> firewall off.
>
> --
> Servo @ work
> "Yippee kie aye, motherf'er!"
> tservo100 at
> ameritech dot net
> Slow, fiery death to all spammers!!!

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 8:49:05 PM

Chico wrote:
> If the problem is with the driver how come USB works but not ethernet?

They use different drivers. The USB drivers included with Windows, not
all NIC drivers are included on the WIndows CD.

Check with the OEM of your computer for the latest drivers.

--
Peace!
Kurt

Thanks. but sorry i'm really new to this and i have no idea what an OEM is.
If i can't find my driver on CD, can i download it off the net?

"kurttrail" wrote:

> Chico wrote:
> > If the problem is with the driver how come USB works but not ethernet?
>
> They use different drivers. The USB drivers included with Windows, not
> all NIC drivers are included on the WIndows CD.
>
> Check with the OEM of your computer for the latest drivers.
>
> --
> Peace!
> Kurt
> Self-anointed Moderator
> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 10:42:44 PM

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer, such as Dell. Check the appropriate
OEM web site for your computer.

Tom
| Thanks. but sorry i'm really new to this and i have no idea what an OEM
is.
| If i can't find my driver on CD, can i download it off the net?
|
| "kurttrail" wrote:
|
| > Chico wrote:
| > > If the problem is with the driver how come USB works but not ethernet?
| >
| > They use different drivers. The USB drivers included with Windows, not
| > all NIC drivers are included on the WIndows CD.
| >
| > Check with the OEM of your computer for the latest drivers.
| >
| > --
| > Peace!
| > Kurt
| > Self-anointed Moderator
| > microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
| > http://microscum.com/mscommunity
| > "Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
| > "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 10:50:42 PM

Chico wrote:
> I did a clean install of XP last night and today i can't use my ethernet port
> to access my cable internet. USB access works no problem; but i want
> ethernet so that i can run a router. What gives?

Have you reinstalled the WinXP-specific driver drivers for your
Ethernet adapter?

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 11:40:39 PM

Chico wrote:
> Thanks. but sorry i'm really new to this and i have no idea what an
> OEM is. If i can't find my driver on CD, can i download it off the
> net?

OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer.

The computer maker, and/or the NIC maker. And yes, you should to
download it from the NET.

Give us the manufacturer and model of your computer.

--
!