Can't use ethernet after clean install

I did a clean install of XP last night and today i can't use my ethernet port
to access my cable internet. USB access works no problem; but i want
ethernet so that i can run a router. What gives?
11 answers Last reply
More about ethernet clean install

    Chico wrote:
    > I did a clean install of XP last night and today i can't use my
    > ethernet port to access my cable internet. USB access works no
    > problem; but i want ethernet so that i can run a router. What gives?

    Did you install the appropriate NIC card driver?

    I used a CD that came with my Dell that said it had a driver for a Broadcom
    4401 Integrtated NIC but that didn't seem to do anything. I get zero
    internet connectivity with the ethernet. The computer doesn't seem to even
    recognize that the ethernet port is there.

    "Gordo" wrote:

    > Chico wrote:
    > > I did a clean install of XP last night and today i can't use my
    > > ethernet port to access my cable internet. USB access works no
    > > problem; but i want ethernet so that i can run a router. What gives?
    >
    > Did you install the appropriate NIC card driver?

    I did a reinstall of a Dell machine not too long ago and did not find out
    until afterwards that NO drivers were included with disk that came with the
    machine. This could be your problem. From my understanding, it is not
    necessary to do clean installs with a cd with newer Dells as the disk has two
    partitions one being for the normal operating system the other for a Norton
    Ghost partition, that will allow you put your machine back to how it came
    from Dell with a certain keystroke during boot up. This is always nice to
    know BEFORE you reformat the HD. I found out too late.

    "Chico" wrote:

    > I used a CD that came with my Dell that said it had a driver for a Broadcom
    > 4401 Integrtated NIC but that didn't seem to do anything. I get zero
    > internet connectivity with the ethernet. The computer doesn't seem to even
    > recognize that the ethernet port is there.
    >
    > "Gordo" wrote:
    >
    > > Chico wrote:
    > > > I did a clean install of XP last night and today i can't use my
    > > > ethernet port to access my cable internet. USB access works no
    > > > problem; but i want ethernet so that i can run a router. What gives?
    > >
    > > Did you install the appropriate NIC card driver?

    Does it show up in Device Manager? If no, you will need to install the
    driver correctly in order for the Ethernet port to be active in Windows.

    Chico wrote:
    > I did a clean install of XP last night and today i can't use my ethernet port
    > to access my cable internet. USB access works no problem; but i want
    > ethernet so that i can run a router. What gives?

    Make SURE you reinstall the network card driver and turn the Windows
    firewall off.

    --
    Servo @ work
    "Yippee kie aye, motherf'er!"

    If the problem is with the driver how come USB works but not ethernet?

    Chico wrote:
    > If the problem is with the driver how come USB works but not ethernet?

    They use different drivers. The USB drivers included with Windows, not
    all NIC drivers are included on the WIndows CD.

    Check with the OEM of your computer for the latest drivers.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt

    Thanks. but sorry i'm really new to this and i have no idea what an OEM is.
    If i can't find my driver on CD, can i download it off the net?

    "kurttrail" wrote:

    > Chico wrote:
    > > If the problem is with the driver how come USB works but not ethernet?
    >
    > They use different drivers. The USB drivers included with Windows, not
    > all NIC drivers are included on the WIndows CD.
    >
    > Check with the OEM of your computer for the latest drivers.
    >
    > --
    > Peace!
    > Kurt
    > Self-anointed Moderator
    > microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    > http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    > "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer, such as Dell. Check the appropriate
    OEM web site for your computer.

    Tom

    Chico wrote:
    > I did a clean install of XP last night and today i can't use my ethernet port
    > to access my cable internet. USB access works no problem; but i want
    > ethernet so that i can run a router. What gives?

    Have you reinstalled the WinXP-specific driver drivers for your
    Ethernet adapter?

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Chico wrote:
    > Thanks. but sorry i'm really new to this and i have no idea what an
    > OEM is. If i can't find my driver on CD, can i download it off the
    > net?

    OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer.

    The computer maker, and/or the NIC maker. And yes, you should to
    download it from the NET.

    Give us the manufacturer and model of your computer.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator