Guys! Alienware $2,604 or Build My Own?

clairvoyant christopher

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
I'm considering on either purchasing the 875watt Alienware Aurora for $2,604 or building my own.

Specs:

CHASSIS COLOR Lunar Shadow, Alienware Aurora Chassis edit
PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i7 950 (3.06GHz, 8MB Cache) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium (64 bit) + Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade Coupon - Engli edit
VIDEO CARD Single 1.8GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 295 edit
MEMORY 12GB Triple Channel 1067MHz DDR3 edit
HARD DRIVE 750GB - SATA-II, 3GB/S, 7200RPM, 16MB Cache edit
OPTICAL DRIVE Single Drive: 24X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability edit
SOUND CARD Creative Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ Titanium edit
MONITOR No Monitor edit
KEYBOARD Alienware Multi-Media Keyboard edit
MOUSE Alienware Optical Mouse, MG100 edit
WARRANTY AND SERVICE 1Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis edit
My Accessories
ALIENFX AlienFX Color, Quasar Blue edit
WALLPAPER Alienhead Chrome Red edit
AUTOMATIC UPDATES Automatic Updates: Enabled

I have to have a top of the line computer because I'm a internet psychic advisor at: http://www.keen.com/details/CLAIRVOYANT-CHRISTOPHER/Love-Relationships/5342652 I make money with my computer and I like to do gaming and play games like Crysis.

I want another desktop for my bedroom. Would I save that much money if I build my own? Is it hard to build my own if I have no experience?

All of you out there, please let me know your opinions.
Thanks.

SevenVirtues

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
How much do you want an Alienware? Many people buy them just for the brand.

It would be a lot cheaper to build your own, but your warranty is only for your individual parts and can sometimes be only a year. With Alienware you can buy a 5-year warranty.

clairvoyant christopher

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009

I believe that a 5 year warranty is at least another $300-$400. I think that I'm just going to go ahead and build my own. After reading what others have to say, building your own computer just does not save you money, but you can choose the best components and your computer will last longer. You can also overclock your computer, because I have a Dell XPS 435 and I can't overclock it because the Bios is locked. I would hate to pay $2,600 for a computer that I can't overclock.

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
I would go for a cheaper system or build your own. $2600 in alienware dollars is probably equal to $1500 of your out of pocket dollars if you build yourself.

You can get an i7 920 dell system for under $1000.

clairvoyant christopher

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009

Thank you for responding. Yes I will build my own computer. I already have a Dell and it works great, but it is so big and weights over 40 pounds. If I build my own I can future proof to last for many years.

treddy3

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Alienware is now owned by Dell if you are going to buy Alienware you are just paying for the name you could buy a Dell XPS and the same qaulity machine for less $$$ but I would choose biulding my own.

One of the decisions in building your own machine would be what ram manufacturer to choose I have built several machines in my life and have found Corsair ram has always been a good choice.

Gigabyte is making an excellent quality main board and easier to configure than a cutting edge Asus board as a first time builder I would stay away from Asus. PNY makes excellent video cards and so does EVGA. Of course you can always use on board sound or upgrade to a nice creative sound card if your a gamer. I would personally wait until the week between christmas and New Years to order and build a PC I have found that generally RAM and video card prices are reduced drastically during that week... good luck

treddy3

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
One thing I should have mentioned is that I would make my main drive in a new machine a SOLID STATE HARD DRIVE HANDS DOWN and then add additional Sata Drives as needed just run the operating system on the main drive! That would be well worth it for sure.

rockyjohn

Distinguished
Gee Clair - in the thread you start a month ago - or about only two weeks prior to starting this thread - your reported that the Dell XPS 435T system you just purchased a few months ago "has the best performance". What's wrong with it now?

Back then you also stated "I predict that this computer will last me at least 4 years and then I will consider buying the Alienware line of computers or I will build my own. I think that I got a good price and a good value from Dell. " Gee it has not been 4 years yet. So much for your predictions I guess.

Or are you just trolling for customers again? Later in that thread in another post you bragged "But this has been a profitable experience for me because I have gained more new clients from my first post in this forum. I've discovered that this is a very popular forum. So if I'm clueless I'm gaining something from this forum..."

Well what are you really here to gain? Are you using the valuable time of these nice, unsuspecting people to line your pockets? I see you gave the link to your commercial website in the first post again.

How many times have you done this?

Here is the link from a month ago.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/53681-2-dell-studio-435t-performance

rockyjohn

Distinguished

Looks to me like you made the decision - if there really is one - to build your own before you even started this post. Or are you going to maintain that the two small posts between your first one and this one - the only real information being the simple statement that many things were plug and play - were that important in helping you make a decision?

rockyjohn

Distinguished

Yes, using the internet requires a $2,604 computer.

Out of curiosity I visited your website.

In your picture you appear to be about 20. But in your webpage you state "For over 25 years I have been a clairvoyant Police Psychic Detective". How old are you?

You also state "Police Departments all over America have relied upon me to solve their most perplexing cases". That must be exciting and interesting work. Can you provide some references from them? Do they pay your $4.99 a minute rate or do you give them a deal?

I especially like the request to "PLEASE HAVE YOUR CREDIT CARD READY TO ADD MORE TIME TO OUR CALL" (that's a cut and paste - all caps are as written on the website)

clairvoyant christopher

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009

Thank you so much for your answer, I see that you have such a vast knowledge about computers.

rockyjohn

Distinguished
No one has posted to this thread in over 5 weeks so it is not getting the advertising views that Clair wants. So here he is 5 weeks later posting a say-nothing response to a posting from 5 weeks ago to "reactivate" the thread and raise it back to the top in hopes of drumming up more business for his pseudo-business.

Have you no shame? Abusing all the viewers by stealing their time in hopes of getting a few more customers to waste their money on your web site?

Moderator - how long are you going to let him repreatedly bump this thread to use the forum for his commercial advertising? Aren't there rules against abusing the forum this way? I see he also bumped his other thread today too.

Claire, when are you going to provide the references to support your website statement that police departments all over the country have relied upon you? Should be a simple thing to do. Why have you not posted the list?

clairvoyant christopher

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009

Because it's none of your business.

rockyjohn

Distinguished

That is a pretty snotty reply when all I am asking is for some simple support for a claim you make in public to advertise yourself and services.

If you are advertising that fact, then you must be proud of it and want people that view your listing to know about it - and know that it is true and not some bogus claim. Isn't it the "business" of all the people viewing this thread - the potential customers for whom you here troll? So you are telling the readers of this thread - who you hope to turn into customers for your services - that it is none of their business either - that they must take your claim on pure faith and not dare question it, on pain of being put down.

So why do you refuse to support your claim? Why refuse such a simple request that - if the information is provided -will only testify to the demand for you special skills and may hook more customers?

nuke123

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009

With alienware your paying for the brand you could get the sam espec laptop much cheaper even if you paid for a professional to assemble it. Or if you have a good friend they mgiht assemble it for free.
signature_smiley7.jpg