Ancients

Last response: in Video Games
a b 4 Gaming
January 15, 2005 3:10:13 AM

Hello,

First time here. Trying to get back into miniatures gaming, been out of it for
a long time.

What are the primary set of rules now being used for Ancients?

Also, any of you games live in the the Northern Virginia area?

Thanks,
samf

More about : ancients

Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
January 15, 2005 3:42:14 AM

In message <20050114191013.08440.00000007@mb-m06.aol.com>, SF0218
<sf0218@aol.com> writes
>Hello,
>
>First time here. Trying to get back into miniatures gaming, been out of it for
>a long time.
>
>What are the primary set of rules now being used for Ancients?
>
>Also, any of you games live in the the Northern Virginia area?
>
>Thanks,
>samf
The "primary" set is probably still DBM, especially in the tournament
world, though others such as Armati, Warhammer Ancients and Vis Bellica
are taking market share. And I should say that this is from a UK
perspective - I know things are a bit different in the US.
--
John Secker
Anonymous

Sorry for not replying earlier but I hoped others would have stepped up to
the plate.

I suppose (from my own experience) DBM is the most popular but other sets
are in use esp. in the USA. Tatica, Armarti, Vis Bellica.

Now I am going to commit a heresy and suggest you wander over to the
ancients board of the Miniatures page and ask over there. It does seem a bit
more lively.

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/topics.mv?id=14

But I suggest you hold off getting any stuff until you find what the locals
are playing.

I am a heavy fan of ancients but am not much use to you in the UK.

My website is

www.3vwargames.co.uk
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
January 16, 2005 1:17:53 AM

Depends on what you want to do with them.

If you like competition, DBM is your #1 best choice.

If you like lots of dice, a very colorful rule set and 25mm's in a mostly
skirmish/low level battle. Warhammer Ancient Battles is very popular.

If you like loads of detail and a well supported set of rules that is
perfectly suitable for "scenario" type gaming you might want to try Ancient
Warfare.

If you want a game that clubs tend to favor, that works at the Army / Whole
Battle level that is excellent for multiplayer use and scenario type gaming
then I suggest Might of Arms. This is my favorite, and is played at both
NOVAG and Army of Central Maryland Wargame Club.

Yes there is a wonderful set list of games that I never see actually getting
played by real folks (not the authors), or that are not as popular, but
these will do the best for you on the MD/VA chunk of the world. Play what
the locals play.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
January 17, 2005 1:03:45 PM

"SF0218" <sf0218@aol.com> wrote in message

> First time here. Trying to get back into miniatures gaming, been out of
> it for
> a long time.
>
> What are the primary set of rules now being used for Ancients?

Various people have mentioned DBM, Warhammer Ancient Battles, Vis Bellica &
Tactica.

DBA is also very popular and does not require as many figures less abstract
sets.

This is one of those things which will vary depending on what your local
gaming group(s) use. At our club Ancients is mostly DBM or DBA, prob more
DBA these days with multiple games being played. I generally play Strategos,
but that is distinctly a minority interest;-)

Cheers
Martin
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
January 20, 2005 12:26:16 AM

While I don't play ancients near as much as mideval/early renaissance I
like both Armati and Might of Arms, which both can be used for
ancients. I game in Ohio, not much help finding you a club though I
know there are a few from my Historicon experience.

Laurent
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
January 22, 2005 1:58:01 PM

One rule set not mentioned is the "Hack!" series by Phil Viverito. I just
picked up Homeric Hack at the Siege of Augusta, he also has Classical Hack,
and rule sets for Roman and Greek Hack. And at the risk of getting flamed,
DBA appears to me to go much further ancient than DBM but then I've only
glanced over DBM rule sets and my club plays more DBA.

"SF0218" <sf0218@aol.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> First time here. Trying to get back into miniatures gaming, been out of
> it for
> a long time.
>
> What are the primary set of rules now being used for Ancients?
>
> Also, any of you games live in the the Northern Virginia area?
>
> Thanks,
> samf
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
January 24, 2005 3:46:15 PM

"Paul Clay" <paulclay@charter*nospam*.net> wrote in message
> One rule set not mentioned is the "Hack!" series by Phil Viverito. I just
> picked up Homeric Hack at the Siege of Augusta, he also has Classical
> Hack, and rule sets for Roman and Greek Hack. And at the risk of getting
> flamed, DBA appears to me to go much further ancient than DBM but then
> I've only glanced over DBM rule sets and my club plays more DBA.

Some of our club used to like big dba with the addition of the quality stuff
out dbm.
I think their point was that they didn't like the additional complexity of
the movement in dbm and just kind of reached agreement on what was
reasonable rather than trying to interpret Phil Barker's prose.

I quite liked Might of arms, although while since I played it.

--
Regards,
Andy O'Neill