Ancients

Hello,

First time here. Trying to get back into miniatures gaming, been out of it for
a long time.

What are the primary set of rules now being used for Ancients?

Also, any of you games live in the the Northern Virginia area?

Thanks,
samf
8 answers Last reply
More about ancients
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    In message <20050114191013.08440.00000007@mb-m06.aol.com>, SF0218
    <sf0218@aol.com> writes
    >Hello,
    >
    >First time here. Trying to get back into miniatures gaming, been out of it for
    >a long time.
    >
    >What are the primary set of rules now being used for Ancients?
    >
    >Also, any of you games live in the the Northern Virginia area?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >samf
    The "primary" set is probably still DBM, especially in the tournament
    world, though others such as Armati, Warhammer Ancients and Vis Bellica
    are taking market share. And I should say that this is from a UK
    perspective - I know things are a bit different in the US.
    --
    John Secker
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    Sorry for not replying earlier but I hoped others would have stepped up to
    the plate.

    I suppose (from my own experience) DBM is the most popular but other sets
    are in use esp. in the USA. Tatica, Armarti, Vis Bellica.

    Now I am going to commit a heresy and suggest you wander over to the
    ancients board of the Miniatures page and ask over there. It does seem a bit
    more lively.

    http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/topics.mv?id=14

    But I suggest you hold off getting any stuff until you find what the locals
    are playing.

    I am a heavy fan of ancients but am not much use to you in the UK.

    My website is

    www.3vwargames.co.uk
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    Depends on what you want to do with them.

    If you like competition, DBM is your #1 best choice.

    If you like lots of dice, a very colorful rule set and 25mm's in a mostly
    skirmish/low level battle. Warhammer Ancient Battles is very popular.

    If you like loads of detail and a well supported set of rules that is
    perfectly suitable for "scenario" type gaming you might want to try Ancient
    Warfare.

    If you want a game that clubs tend to favor, that works at the Army / Whole
    Battle level that is excellent for multiplayer use and scenario type gaming
    then I suggest Might of Arms. This is my favorite, and is played at both
    NOVAG and Army of Central Maryland Wargame Club.

    Yes there is a wonderful set list of games that I never see actually getting
    played by real folks (not the authors), or that are not as popular, but
    these will do the best for you on the MD/VA chunk of the world. Play what
    the locals play.
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    "SF0218" <sf0218@aol.com> wrote in message

    > First time here. Trying to get back into miniatures gaming, been out of
    > it for
    > a long time.
    >
    > What are the primary set of rules now being used for Ancients?

    Various people have mentioned DBM, Warhammer Ancient Battles, Vis Bellica &
    Tactica.

    DBA is also very popular and does not require as many figures less abstract
    sets.

    This is one of those things which will vary depending on what your local
    gaming group(s) use. At our club Ancients is mostly DBM or DBA, prob more
    DBA these days with multiple games being played. I generally play Strategos,
    but that is distinctly a minority interest;-)

    Cheers
    Martin
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    Haven't seen what I play mentioned - Warrior

    This link will give you information on style and content:

    http://www.fourhorsemenenterprises.com/
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    While I don't play ancients near as much as mideval/early renaissance I
    like both Armati and Might of Arms, which both can be used for
    ancients. I game in Ohio, not much help finding you a club though I
    know there are a few from my Historicon experience.

    Laurent
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    One rule set not mentioned is the "Hack!" series by Phil Viverito. I just
    picked up Homeric Hack at the Siege of Augusta, he also has Classical Hack,
    and rule sets for Roman and Greek Hack. And at the risk of getting flamed,
    DBA appears to me to go much further ancient than DBM but then I've only
    glanced over DBM rule sets and my club plays more DBA.

    "SF0218" <sf0218@aol.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > First time here. Trying to get back into miniatures gaming, been out of
    > it for
    > a long time.
    >
    > What are the primary set of rules now being used for Ancients?
    >
    > Also, any of you games live in the the Northern Virginia area?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > samf
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    "Paul Clay" <paulclay@charter*nospam*.net> wrote in message
    > One rule set not mentioned is the "Hack!" series by Phil Viverito. I just
    > picked up Homeric Hack at the Siege of Augusta, he also has Classical
    > Hack, and rule sets for Roman and Greek Hack. And at the risk of getting
    > flamed, DBA appears to me to go much further ancient than DBM but then
    > I've only glanced over DBM rule sets and my club plays more DBA.

    Some of our club used to like big dba with the addition of the quality stuff
    out dbm.
    I think their point was that they didn't like the additional complexity of
    the movement in dbm and just kind of reached agreement on what was
    reasonable rather than trying to interpret Phil Barker's prose.

    I quite liked Might of arms, although while since I played it.

    --
    Regards,
    Andy O'Neill

Gaming Games Video Games