Add locations to "Save As...?"

Hello all. Is there a way to add directories to the Save As window that pops
up when you want to download from the net?
Thanks!

--
LMO
"O Wad some Powr, the Giftie Gie us,

LMO wrote:
> Hello all. Is there a way to add directories to the Save As window that pops
> up when you want to download from the net?
> Thanks!

Tweak UI allows you to modify this. You can download Tweak UI from
Microsoft at
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx.
Once installed, execute Tweak UI. On the left expand Common Dialogs
and select Places Bar. From there you can configure it to use the
default places, or define your own custom places by select custom places
bar and typing in the path that you would like. Note that you can
specify at most 5 places, so you don't add but rather replace what is there.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

Okay, that worked for net downloads. Many thanks.
Now, how about MS Office Save As? Any wau to change those destinations?

LMO wrote:
> Okay, that worked for net downloads. Many thanks.
> Now, how about MS Office Save As? Any wau to change those destinations?

How to customize the My Places bar in both the Open and the Save As
dialog boxes in Office 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=826214
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

frodo

LMO <lmonospam@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Okay, that worked for net downloads. Many thanks.
> Now, how about MS Office Save As? Any wau to change those destinations?

Common Dialog Places Bar is kept here in the reg:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
Policies\comdlg32\PlacesBar

And yes, you can change the places bar in the office open/save dialog
boxes too. Open the dialog, navigate to and highlight the folder you want
to add, and drop down the tools menu; choose "add to My Places...".

you can reorder them by dragging.

this info is kept in the reg at:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Common\Open Find\
Places\UserDefinedPlaces

May be diff version (10.0 above) if you have newer Office.

Thanks. Got that. One more...is there a way to remove places? I accidentally
put My Documents in there twice. It's only showing up once under the Reg
site given, but shows up twice in the Office places bar now.
Thanks again!

LMO wrote:
> Thanks. Got that. One more...is there a way to remove places? I accidentally
> put My Documents in there twice. It's only showing up once under the Reg
> site given, but shows up twice in the Office places bar now.
> Thanks again!

Did you look over the KB article I cited? It shows how to properly add,
and remove, items to/from the Office Places bar.

How to customize the My Places bar in both the Open and the Save As
dialog boxes in Office 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=826214

Manually editing the registry is not the proper way to do this. My
Documents is one of the default places for Office so there is no need to
add it manually. Delete the one you added by right clicking on it and
selecting Remove.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows