Can someone explain OEM to me please

Status
Not open for further replies.

carbretta

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Hi Guys,

Im looking for an explanation into the workings of an OEM operating system. I understand the basic differences between OEM and retail but there are a few questions I have about this.

1 - If I am reinstalling an operating system on a PC that has an OEM sticker (for example dell) where would I go to get the disk that would work with the product key?
2 - If I wanted to build a computer to sell, where would I get the operating system. For example Windows 7 Home premium sells for around £100ish so obviously my mark up on a budget PC would be uncompetitive. Do I need to get a cheaper OEM copy? (Any advice where from?)
3 - If I did distribute PC's with OEM operating systems could I embed drivers ect into the install disk. Also most OEM's have there logo's under "My Computer". Is there anyway I could do this?

If anyone can help me with these it would really be appreciated :)

Thanks guys!

Solution
The media you install windows with is irrelevent as long as the versions match, if your planning to do this alot get a few memory sticks, download the correct ISO's and make bootable drives.

Branding doesnt matter I have installed unbranded on branded machines (I did a Dell yesterday) like any OEM reinstall it may ask you to ring the phoneline is all. Beaware though if your just reinstalling on these machines its ok, if you sell these machines secondhand I believe there are legal issues related to the windows licence (on the dell/hp etc)....... you may want to look in to that if thats your plan.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Microsoft.com ^

carbretta

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Thanks Area51reopened :)

So, for example, if I wanted to obtain a collection of disks for oem reinstalls I would need one for each version of windows and for 32 and 64 bit systems for each OEM. So a disk for windows 7 home premium 32bit, a disk for windows 7 home premium 64bit ect.

And then obviously disks for all manufactures. Bit of a nightmare, so many disks!!

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
Not all OEM is branded if your building and selling (though using this requires YOU support it) you would use something like this

http://www.cclonline.com/product/55272/GFC-02050/Operating-Systems/Microsoft-Windows-7-Home-Premium-64-bit-SP1-/SFT0066/

As a small time builder or seller buying each OEM copy as needed your not going to expect to make a markup on windows unless the client is stupid enough to pay more than they can get it for (or they value their time to the point they dont want to buy and install themselves)

To reinstall branded OEM installs on machines..... just install unbranded OEM it will work the same.

*EDIT TO ADD*

Yes you can add your own logos/login screens etc google it theres no shortage of guides.

carbretta

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011

So if someone had a dell/toshiba/hp branded OEM I could just get a standard unbranded OEM disk online, same specs and version, and it would work with all OEM systems with the same software version installed? Also I could use the disk over and over again assuming the person had a COA Sticker.

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
The media you install windows with is irrelevent as long as the versions match, if your planning to do this alot get a few memory sticks, download the correct ISO's and make bootable drives.

Branding doesnt matter I have installed unbranded on branded machines (I did a Dell yesterday) like any OEM reinstall it may ask you to ring the phoneline is all. Beaware though if your just reinstalling on these machines its ok, if you sell these machines secondhand I believe there are legal issues related to the windows licence (on the dell/hp etc)....... you may want to look in to that if thats your plan.

Solution

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
So if someone had a dell/toshiba/hp branded OEM I could just get a standard unbranded OEM disk online, same specs and version, and it would work with all OEM systems with the same software version installed? Also I could use the disk over and over again assuming the person had a COA Sticker. < YES

Status
Not open for further replies.