can't copy html file to SD card

September 27, 2004 10:01:13 AM

If I try to copy a .htm file to the SD card (Quick Sync won't let me
put it on the handheld for some reason), I get the error that it can't
be copied because no app on the palm can handle it. What about the web
browser?
Indead, this is from the handbook on the browser:

"You can view saved files on an expansion card without an active
internet
connection. The following files types can be opened from an expansion
card: .html,
..htm, .gif, .jpg, and .png"

Thanks for any help.

More about : copy html file card

Anonymous
September 27, 2004 2:57:52 PM

On 27 Sep 2004 06:01:13 -0700, g.hood@iaea.org (Graeme) was understood
to have stated the following:

>If I try to copy a .htm file to the SD card (Quick Sync won't let me
>put it on the handheld for some reason), I get the error that it can't
>be copied because no app on the palm can handle it. What about the web
>browser?
>Indead, this is from the handbook on the browser:
>
>"You can view saved files on an expansion card without an active
>internet
>connection. The following files types can be opened from an expansion
>card: .html,
>.htm, .gif, .jpg, and .png"
>
>Thanks for any help.

Short Answer, very generalized: To copy files to your expansion card
using the HotSync manager, there *must* be a desktop application (or
at least conduit) *and* a corresponding Palm application. This is how
you are allowed to install things like JPEGs and what not. The browser
that you mention does not have a desktop companion, so the files it
allows you to browse are actually Palm .PDB files, even if they
represent .HTM, .GIF, .JPG, & .PNG. The Web browser in question can
connect to the network itself and pull the relevant files directly
into the PDA, but since there is no conduit, you can't go from web to
desktop to pda. Best approach for what you're trying to do is
something like iSilo, Plucker, AvantGo, and probably others. Also,
installing "native" files such as MP3s and JPG is *much, much, much*
faster if you use a card reader. Even CardExport blows HotSync away in
terms of speed, although a USB 2.0 card reader with a fast SD card is
the fastest solution, particularly if you dump tons of jpgs/mp3s/what
not onto your card.
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 2:57:53 PM

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 10:57:52 -0400, David W. Poole, Jr. wrote:

> On 27 Sep 2004 06:01:13 -0700, g.hood@iaea.org (Graeme) was understood
> to have stated the following:
>
>>If I try to copy a .htm file to the SD card (Quick Sync won't let me
>>put it on the handheld for some reason), I get the error that it can't
>>be copied because no app on the palm can handle it. What about the web
>>browser?
>>Indead, this is from the handbook on the browser:
>>
>>"You can view saved files on an expansion card without an active
>>internet
>>connection. The following files types can be opened from an expansion
>>card: .html,
>>.htm, .gif, .jpg, and .png"
>>
>>Thanks for any help.
>
> Short Answer, very generalized: To copy files to your expansion card
> using the HotSync manager, there *must* be a desktop application (or
> at least conduit) *and* a corresponding Palm application. This is how
> you are allowed to install things like JPEGs and what not. The browser
> that you mention does not have a desktop companion, so the files it
> allows you to browse are actually Palm .PDB files, even if they
> represent .HTM, .GIF, .JPG, & .PNG. The Web browser in question can
> connect to the network itself and pull the relevant files directly
> into the PDA, but since there is no conduit, you can't go from web to
> desktop to pda. Best approach for what you're trying to do is
> something like iSilo, Plucker, AvantGo, and probably others. Also,
> installing "native" files such as MP3s and JPG is *much, much, much*
> faster if you use a card reader. Even CardExport blows HotSync away in
> terms of speed, although a USB 2.0 card reader with a fast SD card is
> the fastest solution, particularly if you dump tons of jpgs/mp3s/what
> not onto your card.

Also, if one must install something to the card, one can rename the file.

I needed to get a *.dat file on my card for Kronos. The instructions say to
rename the *.dat file to *.mp3. Hotsync will automatically put this on the
card - even on my m515 which as no mp3 support. I then renamed the file
back to *.dat with FileMan and everybody was happy.

It's not the fastest or easiest way, but it works. I just haven't had the
need to put so much stuff on the SD card that it justifies buying another
card reader (I already have a CF & SmartMedia reader for our digital
camera).

Just a little more info.
--
Derek

When birds fly in the right formation, they need only exert half the
effort. Even in nature, teamwork results in collective laziness.
September 27, 2004 3:25:03 PM

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 10:17:50 -0500, Derek <news@gwinn.us> was
understood to have stated the following:

>Also, if one must install something to the card, one can rename the file.
>
>I needed to get a *.dat file on my card for Kronos. The instructions say to
>rename the *.dat file to *.mp3. Hotsync will automatically put this on the
>card - even on my m515 which as no mp3 support. I then renamed the file
>back to *.dat with FileMan and everybody was happy.
>
>It's not the fastest or easiest way, but it works. I just haven't had the
>need to put so much stuff on the SD card that it justifies buying another
>card reader (I already have a CF & SmartMedia reader for our digital
>camera).
>
>Just a little more info.

*Very* cool trick; thanks!
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 3:25:04 PM

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 11:25:03 -0400, David W. Poole, Jr. wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 10:17:50 -0500, Derek <news@gwinn.us> was
> understood to have stated the following:
>
>>Also, if one must install something to the card, one can rename the file.
>>
>>I needed to get a *.dat file on my card for Kronos. The instructions say to
>>rename the *.dat file to *.mp3. Hotsync will automatically put this on the
>>card - even on my m515 which as no mp3 support. I then renamed the file
>>back to *.dat with FileMan and everybody was happy.
>>
>>It's not the fastest or easiest way, but it works. I just haven't had the
>>need to put so much stuff on the SD card that it justifies buying another
>>card reader (I already have a CF & SmartMedia reader for our digital
>>camera).
>>
>>Just a little more info.
>
> *Very* cool trick; thanks!

More of a kludge than a trick. But it does solve the problem.

You're welcome.

--
Derek

Anyone else remember when an Elephant was a floppy disk?
September 28, 2004 8:35:24 AM

OK, thanks for all that. Maybe I'll invest in a reader, but in the
meantime, is there a way to get a file off the SD card back to the PC?
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 11:47:38 AM

On 28 Sep 2004 04:35:24 -0700, Graeme wrote:

> OK, thanks for all that. Maybe I'll invest in a reader, but in the
> meantime, is there a way to get a file off the SD card back to the PC?

As I understand it, not without a card reader or software that turns the
Palm into a card reader (e.g. Syncwizard), or something like BackupBuddy
that will back up the data on the card.

--
Derek

In the battle between you and the world, bet on the world.
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 8:00:05 PM

"Graeme" <g.hood@iaea.org> wrote in message
> OK, thanks for all that. Maybe I'll invest in a reader, but in the
> meantime, is there a way to get a file off the SD card back to the PC?

Softick CardExport allows you to access a card in your Palm via the
cradle/cable connection. The card appears as a removable drive. You can use
Windows Explorer to drag/drop/delete and can even run a defrag on the card.
It works superbly for me and my 1GB SD card.
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 7:06:42 AM

g.hood@iaea.org (Graeme) wrote in news:5db79707.0409280335.e3ceb82
@posting.google.com:

> OK, thanks for all that. Maybe I'll invest in a reader, but in the
> meantime, is there a way to get a file off the SD card back to the PC?

Yes. Get PFB from http://www.pmrogan.de/site/PalmSoft.htm. The page is in
German, but just click on the download link underneath PFB. There is an
English version enclosed. PFB allows you to transfer files between the Palm,
the SD card, and the PC however you like, and it's freeware.

--
Regards,

Stan
!