Rough Edge Fonts After Service Pack 2 Installation

July 19, 2005 12:46:02 PM

After the installation of Service Pack 2, my fonts look very rough or
inaccurate in their look. Does this have anything to do with Media Center?
Any help with getting back more crisp fonts would be appreciated. Thank You,
JAD
July 19, 2005 2:03:19 PM

JAD wrote:

> After the installation of Service Pack 2, my fonts look very rough or
> inaccurate in their look. Does this have anything to do with Media
> Center? Any help with getting back more crisp fonts would be
> appreciated. Thank You, JAD

1. Update your video drivers. Get the drivers from the video device
mftr.'s website, or the motherboard mftr.'s website if video is
onboard, or the OEM's website for your specific machine if you have an
OEM computer (HP, Dell, Sony, etc.).

2. You might also want to make sure ClearType is enabled.
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/ClearType/tuner/1.h...

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

where are the fonts rough? the desktop, or inside an application like
Word?

If the desktop, I'd try resetting the desktop to the standard XP
style/theme, just to make sure the "baseline" is clean. Then make any
mods that you like:

right-click desktop | properties | appearence tab | choose Windows XP
Style, color: default (blue), font size: normal. click apply. then tweak
those items as you like (silver or large fonts).

If you click the "effects" button on that same page, you can turn on "font
smoothing", and set it to either "standard" or "clear type". Clear Type
is intended for LCD panels, and can be fine tuned; the best way to do
this is to get the Clear Type Tuner Power Toy.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/...

get it, install it, look for it in Control Panel and run it. Some people
w/o an LCD still like using Clear Type, even tho it is intended only for
LCD users.
!