Solved

How do you migrate Windows 7 to an SSD?

Tags:
  • SSD
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
September 22, 2012 12:41:15 PM

Hey T.H

So I have an old 5400 RPM 500GB HDD, which I use primarily for Windows and pretty much everything, and then I have a 120GB SSD just for games. My mates keep bugging me on how its such a waste of an SSD, and I agree, but I don't want to reinstall Windows 7 again (I have 64 Bit Ultimate).

So, I really want to know how to move windows to boot on the SSD (How much room is windows anyways.. 30GBs?).

Thanks in advance. I also do not know how to backup files incase I screw up, so I really need a nice simple but detailed guide on how to do it. My SSD is a Corsair Force 3.

More about : migrate windows ssd

September 22, 2012 1:30:49 PM

JJ1217 said:
Hey T.H

So I have an old 5400 RPM 500GB HDD, which I use primarily for Windows and pretty much everything, and then I have a 120GB SSD just for games. My mates keep bugging me on how its such a waste of an SSD, and I agree, but I don't want to reinstall Windows 7 again (I have 64 Bit Ultimate).

So, I really want to know how to move windows to boot on the SSD (How much room is windows anyways.. 30GBs?).

Thanks in advance. I also do not know how to backup files incase I screw up, so I really need a nice simple but detailed guide on how to do it. My SSD is a Corsair Force 3.

What make is your HDD? I'll link you cloning software for it.

Just so you know, it's best to reinstall OS when going HDD → SSD.

As far as backup? Use Windows... Control Panel/System and Security/Backup and Restore

...if you choose "Create System Image" be sure to make a "Bootable repair disk" when Windows prompts you to at the end of imaging or the system Image will not work.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 22, 2012 1:41:31 PM

Itll take less time installing Windows than it will to reinstall all those games on your SSD.
m
l
Related resources
September 22, 2012 9:06:15 PM

Its Western Digital I believe. Its around 4 1/2 years old, but hasn't faltered once.
m
l
September 22, 2012 10:58:31 PM

So how does this work? Does it delete everything on my SSD? I have alot of games on there, and my 1 mbit connection will take days to redownload everything. I might as well backup things I want to keep and just reinstall windows on the SSD, as I've somehow used over 300 gigs. Half the files I'll never use and I really don't care, so I might as well reinstall it. Thanks anyways.
m
l

Best solution

September 22, 2012 11:18:22 PM

First of all, your SSD is 120GB and your WD HDD is 500GB, just make sure your data on the 500GB HDD is less than 120GB. You might need to leave at least 40GB free on the SSD.

You might as well just do a fresh Win 7 install on the SSD if you don't want to ran into any complications. You don't sound very confident for starters and that always a recipe for disaster.

Go with what you know best and by the way, the fact that you have an SSD sitting there does not mean you should use it.

Trust me you won't see any big difference in especially with lots of games. My advice is just stick to what you have now. Keep the SSD for another time.
September 22, 2012 11:25:59 PM

Best answer selected by JJ1217.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 22, 2012 11:28:49 PM

Thats terrible advice. A 5400 RPM hard drive is snail slow compared to boot times on your OS, games, most used applications when booted of an SSD. Why would you not use an SSD if you have one. The whole purpose of using an SSD is to speed up boot times whether it be OS or games or applications. Terrible advice.
m
l
September 22, 2012 11:38:14 PM

First of all, the user never complained about his HDD being slow, and secondly I don't think you are reading everything. How can you even fit 300GB of Data onto 120GB SSD ?

Tell me if i'm missing something here. He never complained about the old HDD the only reason he wanted to install the SSD was because he was told to do so.

Remember, "If it ain't broken, don't fix it"

It is an opinion and not an advice, at the end of the day, he'll decide what to do.

People come on here to ask for help and advice and that's what they'll get.

SSD's are a thing of the past mate, no future for those.........
m
l
September 22, 2012 11:42:08 PM

Quote:
SSD's are a thing of the past mate, no future for those.........

That's so insane, it's actually funny!

You better tell Samsung that! Oh too late they're alread spending $7+billion on a new 10nm NAND flash plant in China.

http://www.myce.com/news/samsung-builds-10nm-nand-flash...

Oh well, I better throw mine out! [:russk1:6]
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 22, 2012 11:43:28 PM

Thing of the past. Sure. 5400 RPM HDs are the wave of the future for sure. He can keep his 300gb of data on his HD and make it a secondary drive. And install Windows on the SSD and his most used games, apps on the SSD. How does he even know if he hasnt tried the OS on an SSD? He doesnt. Still terrible advice.
m
l
September 22, 2012 11:55:03 PM

I am here to help people and that's all I care about really. Like I said, i'm sure he made his decision.

Terrible advice or not...... i'm sure he found some sense in it.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 22, 2012 11:58:38 PM

You lost all credibility, or should have, by stating that SSDs are a thing of the past. Will it be around as long as platter technology? No. But it certainly is the future, for the next 5-10 years.
m
l
September 23, 2012 12:06:59 AM

Nedal0 said:
SSD's are a thing of the past mate, no future for those...
I take it you're still on Windows XP?
m
l
September 23, 2012 12:09:55 AM

You both might want to give this a good read :

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/NAND-Flash-SSD-MLC-TLC...

Oh btw RussK1 you might really want to throw yours out. SSD'S are a thing of the past. You guys get over it and give users the advice they need not ask them to use SSD's because you use or have one.

Make sure your advice is relevant to peoples needs not your needs !
m
l
September 23, 2012 12:11:44 AM

Kridian said:
I take it you're still on Windows XP?

Nah i'm on Windows 98. What year are you in ? 1980's ?
m
l
September 23, 2012 12:14:03 AM

I'm guessing you are another SSD die hard fan. It@ll be much easier for you to accept and just let go.

It is hard to take but it is what it is. I'm done with this topic. You guys can have it now.

NO TIME !
m
l
September 23, 2012 12:31:08 AM

Nedal0 said:
I'm done with this topic. You guys can have it now.

NO TIME !

You should be. You've said enough, and it doesn't look good.
m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
September 23, 2012 12:56:12 AM

Nedal0 said:

Make sure your advice is relevant to peoples needs not your needs !

yeah and w/o asking the OP what they use their rig for; pretty amazing you knew they did not need an SSD.

good job following your own advise.
m
l
!