Disappearing programs

Hello,

The last few days I have been having a strange problem. Mostly when coming
home from work, but sometimes while i was using the computer also, I would
find that programs I left running would no longer be running. This also
happens while I am using the computer. The program would just disappear in
front of my eyes, no error message, does not seem to close but just disappear.

Now I have not added anything in the last few days, and I have already tried
a system restore, but still seem to have the problem. I am using Winxp with
SP2, 256 megs ram 1.6 mzh processor. The only problem I have been having with
the computer is with the video card, causing problems with certain games,
which will be replaced in a day or so.

Anyone have any ideas?

Dave

Malke

DaveM wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The last few days I have been having a strange problem. Mostly when
> coming home from work, but sometimes while i was using the computer
> also, I would find that programs I left running would no longer be
> running. This also happens while I am using the computer. The program
> would just disappear in front of my eyes, no error message, does not
> seem to close but just disappear.
>
> Now I have not added anything in the last few days, and I have already
> tried a system restore, but still seem to have the problem. I am using
> Winxp with SP2, 256 megs ram 1.6 mzh processor. The only problem I
> have been having with the computer is with the video card, causing
> problems with certain games, which will be replaced in a day or so.

Fix your hardware issues first. Aside from the video card, it won't hurt
for you to test your RAM. I like Memtest86+ from www.memtest.org.
Obviously, you have to get the program from a working machine. You will
either download the precompiled Windows binary to make a bootable
floppy or the .iso to make a bootable cd. If you want to use the
latter, you'll need to have third-party burning software on the machine
where you download the file - XP's built-in burning capability won't do
the job. In either case, boot with the media you made. The test will
run immediately. Let the test run for an extended period of time -
unless errors are seen immediately. If you get any errors, replace the
RAM.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

"Malke" wrote:

> DaveM wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > The last few days I have been having a strange problem. Mostly when
> > coming home from work, but sometimes while i was using the computer
> > also, I would find that programs I left running would no longer be
> > running. This also happens while I am using the computer. The program
> > would just disappear in front of my eyes, no error message, does not
> > seem to close but just disappear.
> >
> > Now I have not added anything in the last few days, and I have already
> > tried a system restore, but still seem to have the problem. I am using
> > Winxp with SP2, 256 megs ram 1.6 mzh processor. The only problem I
> > have been having with the computer is with the video card, causing
> > problems with certain games, which will be replaced in a day or so.
> >

> Fix your hardware issues first. Aside from the video card, it won't hurt
> for you to test your RAM. I like Memtest86+ from www.memtest.org.
> Obviously, you have to get the program from a working machine. You will
> either download the precompiled Windows binary to make a bootable
> floppy or the .iso to make a bootable cd. If you want to use the
> latter, you'll need to have third-party burning software on the machine
> where you download the file - XP's built-in burning capability won't do
> the job. In either case, boot with the media you made. The test will
> run immediately. Let the test run for an extended period of time -
> unless errors are seen immediately. If you get any errors, replace the
> RAM.

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response. I downloaded memtest86+ and let that run for
awhile, 45 min or so, and came up with no errors. I am expecting the video
card tommorow. Anything else i can check in the meantime?

Dave

Malke

DaveM wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the quick response. I downloaded memtest86+ and let that
> run for awhile, 45 min or so, and came up with no errors. I am
> expecting the video card tommorow. Anything else i can check in the
> meantime?

How about the hard drive? Test the hard drive with a diagnostic utility
from the mftr. Usually you will download the file and make a bootable
floppy or cd with it. Boot with the media and do a thorough test. If
the drive has physical errors, replace it.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell