DDR spd timing

RichPLS

Champion
Does DDR RAM which has a stock timing setting stored and read by the SPD reside in the memory itself? Is this modifyable like the motherboard BIOS? Is this setting changeable or unchangeable by the user? by the memory manufacture once pre-set?
I know you can override this setting in mobo bios.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Dont quote me on this, but if I understand the question, its one I have often wondered myself. To the best of my knowledge the SPD reading is set and is not changeable. Of course the timmings can be changed in BIOS. I think that the SPD settings are set according to JBOD"I may have that wrong, but I am referring to the industry standards". I would like to know the answer to this also, but this is my best guess.

Maybe Brent from United Memory will see this post and reply, he will know.

READ THE STICKY AND WIN A PRIZE! ALL PRIZES CAN BE CLAIMED IN THE SECTION TITLED "THE OTHER"

RichPLS

Champion
That thought had crossed my mind, that mem resellers could reprogram chips to increase revenue. Maybe even come up with a marketing plan to sell as handpicked chips.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
The SPD program is stored in a chip on the memory module. The SPD program is basically a series of bits read as hex values which includes manufacturing information in addition to the size and speed of the module.

Some SPD programs can only be written once, and never again. Most SPD programs, however, can be rewritten as many times as you want.

For many cases, customers have specific memory requirements, in which the SPD can be reprogramed to match. The main things changed are the latency values and the memory speed. You can program down from higher speeds no problem (400 to 333, 333 to 266, 400 to 266 etc). You can program a DDR-266 module to DDR-400, however this is stupid (SPD can be programmed incorrectly). Certainly, there is nothing in the SPD program that forces the motherboard to operate a certain way (unless the BIOS is programed according to the SPD).

Generally, based on how the motherboard BIOS is designed, will determine how the SPD influences the board.

I don't know of any mobo BIOS capable of changing the SPD programs.

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
You'll get yourself in alot of trouble with RMA and you will likely damage your reputation if you program the SPD incorrectly (ie. program from 333 to 400)

If you do program from 333 to 400 (or commonly from 400 to 500, etc), you better guarantee your module works as it is intended. Of course this can be done with proper know-how.

You can be sure, that many people knowingly do program incorrectly, and remark modules incorrectly. They are called counterfeiters, and they represent about 10% of the DRAM market. This is a serious crime and the penalties are very severe.

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
Just stating the truth and fact sir.

Of course there are no penalties for what you do to your own memory. =)

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
Reprogramming incorrectly is not counterfeiting actually, because the program can always be changed.

Remarking with the wrong logo is very serious.

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
A lot of counterfeit HyperX was coming out of China last year. You'll notice they changed the Logo because of it.

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot