problems with XP Pro update

I upgraded from XP Home to Pro today. Mostly it went pretty smoothly,
except it scared the heck out of me when it set my video display to
600X480 with a 4bit color depth and wouldn't let me change it. That
resolved with rebooting.

Two problems remain:

I keep getting a message that "nwiz.exe has encountered a problem and
needs to close". What does nwiz.exe do and what should I do to resolve
this?

My main purpose in upgrading was to be able to test ASP pages on my
computer. So far I haven't been able to display ASP pages in my
browser. When I try to open them in Netscape, what I see is the code.
When I try to open them in IE Explorer, it triggers Dreamweaver to open.
Is there something else I need to do?

Sande

ANON

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

if this was an OEM copy of XPH to a Retail XPP, there may have been files
included with the oem version of home, that are not included with XPP retail.
Also any warranty support from the OEM would be VOID.

nwiz.exe is part of Nvidia display adapter drivers.

uninstall NVidia drivers from add or remove programs, re-install the latest
drivers for the device from the Manufacturer or from Nvidia.

i have no info on asp pages.

"Sande" wrote:

> I upgraded from XP Home to Pro today. Mostly it went pretty smoothly,
> except it scared the heck out of me when it set my video display to
> 600X480 with a 4bit color depth and wouldn't let me change it. That
> resolved with rebooting.
>
> Two problems remain:
>
> I keep getting a message that "nwiz.exe has encountered a problem and
> needs to close". What does nwiz.exe do and what should I do to resolve
> this?
>
> My main purpose in upgrading was to be able to test ASP pages on my
> computer. So far I haven't been able to display ASP pages in my
> browser. When I try to open them in Netscape, what I see is the code.
> When I try to open them in IE Explorer, it triggers Dreamweaver to open.
> Is there something else I need to do?
>
> Sande

Sande,
For ASP pages to work, you need to install IIS. It is on the XP Pro CD,
but you have to separately install it. Go to Control Panel, Add/Remove
Programs and select add Window Components. Scroll down the list to find IIS,
and select it.
Bob

"Sande" <none@verizon.net> wrote in message
>I upgraded from XP Home to Pro today. Mostly it went pretty smoothly,
>except it scared the heck out of me when it set my video display to 600X480
>with a 4bit color depth and wouldn't let me change it. That resolved with
>rebooting.
>
> Two problems remain:
>
> I keep getting a message that "nwiz.exe has encountered a problem and
> needs to close". What does nwiz.exe do and what should I do to resolve
> this?
>
> My main purpose in upgrading was to be able to test ASP pages on my
> computer. So far I haven't been able to display ASP pages in my browser.
> When I try to open them in Netscape, what I see is the code. When I try to
> open them in IE Explorer, it triggers Dreamweaver to open. Is there
> something else I need to do?
>
> Sande

Thanks for the information. This was a retail upgrade to a version of
Home that came on my computer. Support from HP for this computer is long
gone anyway. Question, though (and I hope this doesn't sound too dumb).
If I'm uninstalling the video display driver, am I going to be able to
use my monitor with my computer to get the update? Should I hook up on
old monitor?

Sande

anon wrote:

> if this was an OEM copy of XPH to a Retail XPP, there may have been files
> included with the oem version of home, that are not included with XPP retail.
> Also any warranty support from the OEM would be VOID.
>
> nwiz.exe is part of Nvidia display adapter drivers.
>
> uninstall NVidia drivers from add or remove programs, re-install the latest
> drivers for the device from the Manufacturer or from Nvidia.
>
> i have no info on asp pages.
>

> "Sande" wrote:
>

>>I upgraded from XP Home to Pro today. Mostly it went pretty smoothly,
>>except it scared the heck out of me when it set my video display to
>>600X480 with a 4bit color depth and wouldn't let me change it. That
>>resolved with rebooting.
>>
>>Two problems remain:
>>
>>I keep getting a message that "nwiz.exe has encountered a problem and
>>needs to close". What does nwiz.exe do and what should I do to resolve
>>this?
>>
>>My main purpose in upgrading was to be able to test ASP pages on my
>>computer. So far I haven't been able to display ASP pages in my
>>browser. When I try to open them in Netscape, what I see is the code.
>>When I try to open them in IE Explorer, it triggers Dreamweaver to open.
>>Is there something else I need to do?
>>
>>Sande

ANON

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

if you uninstall the video card drivers, windows will use generic drivers so
that you can still use the device to download\install the latest drivers.

"Sande" wrote:

> Thanks for the information. This was a retail upgrade to a version of
> Home that came on my computer. Support from HP for this computer is long
> gone anyway. Question, though (and I hope this doesn't sound too dumb).
> If I'm uninstalling the video display driver, am I going to be able to
> use my monitor with my computer to get the update? Should I hook up on
> old monitor?
>
> Sande
>
> anon wrote:
>
> > if this was an OEM copy of XPH to a Retail XPP, there may have been files
> > included with the oem version of home, that are not included with XPP retail.
> > Also any warranty support from the OEM would be VOID.
> >
> > nwiz.exe is part of Nvidia display adapter drivers.
> >
> > uninstall NVidia drivers from add or remove programs, re-install the latest
> > drivers for the device from the Manufacturer or from Nvidia.
> >
> > i have no info on asp pages.
> >

> > "Sande" wrote:
> >

> >>I upgraded from XP Home to Pro today. Mostly it went pretty smoothly,
> >>except it scared the heck out of me when it set my video display to
> >>600X480 with a 4bit color depth and wouldn't let me change it. That
> >>resolved with rebooting.
> >>
> >>Two problems remain:
> >>
> >>I keep getting a message that "nwiz.exe has encountered a problem and
> >>needs to close". What does nwiz.exe do and what should I do to resolve
> >>this?
> >>
> >>My main purpose in upgrading was to be able to test ASP pages on my
> >>computer. So far I haven't been able to display ASP pages in my
> >>browser. When I try to open them in Netscape, what I see is the code.
> >>When I try to open them in IE Explorer, it triggers Dreamweaver to open.
> >>Is there something else I need to do?
> >>
> >>Sande

I figured that out and went back to the XP Upgrade disk and installed it
from the optional files. I just checked the Control Panel under
add/install Windows components and IIS is checked, so I guess it's
installed ok. That's why I wondered if there were something else I
needed to do.
Sande

Bob Milton wrote:

> Sande,
> For ASP pages to work, you need to install IIS. It is on the XP Pro CD,
> but you have to separately install it. Go to Control Panel, Add/Remove
> Programs and select add Window Components. Scroll down the list to find IIS,
> and select it.
> Bob
>
> "Sande" <none@verizon.net> wrote in message
>
>>I upgraded from XP Home to Pro today. Mostly it went pretty smoothly,
>>except it scared the heck out of me when it set my video display to 600X480
>>with a 4bit color depth and wouldn't let me change it. That resolved with
>>rebooting.
>>
>>Two problems remain:
>>
>>I keep getting a message that "nwiz.exe has encountered a problem and
>>needs to close". What does nwiz.exe do and what should I do to resolve
>>this?
>>
>>My main purpose in upgrading was to be able to test ASP pages on my
>>computer. So far I haven't been able to display ASP pages in my browser.
>>When I try to open them in Netscape, what I see is the code. When I try to
>>open them in IE Explorer, it triggers Dreamweaver to open. Is there
>>something else I need to do?
>>
>>Sande

Thanks, I'll follow up.
Sande