Some Store With S-PVA and TN Panels?

cmmcnamara

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
Hey guys I am really struggling between getting a TN panel or a S-PVA panel. I know the S-PVA will have better color quality but is it really worth the extra cost? My problem is I've never seen a S-PVA in person, just TN panels. I was wondering if anyone knew of a store or chain you know carries both types. I've been considering the Dell 2408WFP (S-PVA), Samsung 245T (S-PVA), Samsung 2493HM (TN), and a few others but I wawnt to compare the TN versions with the S-PVA versions in person so I can see if an extra 200 bucks justify's S-PVA. Anyone?

What's the main purpose? Gaming?

Nowadays it is difficult to find a store carrying a 24" S-PVA/P-MVA monitor because most consumers don't wanna pay that much money.

I was gonna suggest Best Buy, but looking at their website they only have 24" TN monitors. You could try it anyway. They might have the 24" LG L246WP-BN which uses a S-PVA panel. I was in a NYC store that had one. Do not confuse it with the LG W2452T-TF which is a TN panel.

Since Best Buy has rolling advertisements on their LCD displays you will not be able to display specific images on the screen like a black screen which can let you determine if there are any backlight bleeding. But in order to do that test properly, the room must be dark (or low lights) and you eyes needs about 5 - 7 to adjust to that environment. I really doubt BB will turn off the lights for you.

TN panels have a tendency to shift colors and turn pale as you view the images at different angles (up, down, left, right). There are other ways to tell the difference, but it is very difficult to describe it without any visual aid and it would be a rather lengthy post.

cmmcnamara

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
Yea I work at Best Buy, we don't have S-PVA or P-MVA panels. I was able to take down the 24" Samsung 2493 and look at it at native resolution and it looks pretty good. But I've never seen a S-PVA panel. Ever. I've read plenty of reviews on S-PVA panels...and they sound great. But I want to see for example maybe the 245T and the 2493HM side by side, and see if for me the S-PVA is worth the extra 100-200 bucks. Oh and I'll be using primarily for gaming but I do watch movies and stuff.

hispeed120

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
I'm toying with the idea of getting the LG L246WP at my local BB. It is the last one (floor model) but they want $540 (down from $599). I'd really like to talk them down, and they said they needed to get rid of it so the new replacements could come in. I'm really fighting buying it right now, or waiting for them to drop the price more. I'd hate for someone else to pick it up, but since nobody that works there knows what we are talking about with TN, VA, and IPS panels, I don't know if I will have much to worry about in my smallish city.

Since the LG L246WP is the last one I would probably just buy as long as they give you a full warranty. At least you should be able to tell if there are any dead or stuck pixels.

Also consider that the new shipments of LCDs are very likely to be TN panels.

I've bought my two LCD monitors online, I only go to the store to check out LCDs to remind how crappy TN panels are. I bought my monitors from Dell (Planar PX191 back in '02) and Provantage (NEC LCD2690WUXi last November).

cmmcnamara

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
Ok, talk them down. You can. If they don't sell it they'll lose money, because after a certain time they have to send it back and only get partial credit pack for it. For example say that monitor cost them 500 bucks. But if it has to be sent back it'll give them 100 bucks back. Then as long as they can sell it above 100 bucks (don't expect to get it for like 150) they'll be good. I'd honestly try talking them down.