DVD Media not recognized

jrjcopp

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2005
The details here may be a little sketchy. I'm at work, the computer is at home.

I have an NEC (2500?) DVD burner which I have used successfully with Studio 9 to burn DVDs. Yesterday I tried to burn a movie. Studio went through its rendering, compiling, said disc finished, but nothing was burned.

Went into Windows Explorer. With no disc in the drive, Explorer shows it as a DVD drive. When I insert a blank DVD-R, Explorer changes the drive description to CD drive. Could this be the problem? These are the same discs I have used before so I do not think it is related to the disc.

No hardware changes since the successful burns. Windows XP may have been updated.

Only other info I can think of that may be helpful. Between successful and failed movie burns, my son may have used the drive to burn CDs with Nero, Musicmatch, or Sony's SonicStage(?). That sony software was installed between the successful and failed burns.

Thanks

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Most burning programs have a "Simulate" mode, you might have simply simulated a burn. And I wouldn't worry about whether Windows Explorer things its a DVD or a CD-R.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>