Your question

move program files to external drive?

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • External Drive
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
February 28, 2005 9:14:10 PM

I filled up my 20 GB hard drive, so without thinking bought a 80 GB external drive.
Now I realize that most of the 20GB are being taken up by programs, not data.
Is there a way to move all my programs to my new external drive?
Someone mentioned something about ghosting would be the best way.If so, could I then delete them from the c:D rive?
Thanks,

More about : move program files external drive

March 1, 2005 9:14:22 AM

Not sure what you're talking about here. If you mean should you run these programs from your external drive, I would say no.

What I would do is clean up and de-infect your C: drive, then image your C: drive. Install the 80GB drive as your main device and then restore from your image to this drive.

I haven't used Ghost, but I have used R-Drive Image which will create the image and restore disk from within Windows and write it to DVD, or another drive/partition.

....WW (5.0)
March 2, 2005 12:20:40 AM

You wouldn't want to put programs on an external drive as it is incredibly slow compared to an internal drive. They are just for storage not active use.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>
Related resources
March 3, 2005 12:50:02 AM

I agree. It is a bad idea to install program on external hard drive. Can you just add an internal hard drive??
March 3, 2005 1:36:02 PM

You need a bigger internal drive.

Also any drive you get is going to be significatly faster than the 20 GB one you are using.
!