StartUp Delay

A week or 2 ago my XP (sp.2) system started taking a long time to start,
about 3 minutes. I can't think of any application I've added during
this time.

I removed all apps from the StartUp folders.

After turning the system on
the opening splash screen comes up and then promptly
the image for my wallpaper (in use long before this problem).
Then it pauses for 1-2 minutes.
Ctrl-alt-del can be invoked. It shows 3-10% cpu use, little I/O.
The process continues with the appearance of the desktop icons and the
taskbar.

The pause may be associated with the iexplore.exe process loading. I'm
also suspicious of a SAVSCAN.exe.

Do you knw what's causing this problem, how to fix it?

--
Since my access to NNTP is limited, a copy of your reply to
ALEXANDEReBARNEs@Yahoo.Com is especially appreciated.

Alexander
4 answers Last reply
More about startup delay

    iexplore.exe is Internet Explorer, usually. Why is this loading at startup?

    Note: iexplore.exe is also registered as the Trojan.KillAV.B virus

    Trojan.KillAV.B
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/trojan.killav.b.html

    savscan.exe
    http://www.iamnotageek.com/a/savscan.exe.php

    [[SAVScan.exe is a process associated with the Norton Antivirus from
    Symantec and provides real-tmie protection from Internet bourne threats such
    as trojans and spyware. This process should not be removed to ensure that
    your system security is not breached.]]
    http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/SAVScan/

    Slow Computer

    THE PARASITE FIGHT Finding, Removing & Protecting Yourself From Scumware
    http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:XzbDe.6016$oZ.3854@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net,
    AeB <ALEXANDEReBARNEs@Yahoo.Com> hunted and pecked:
    > A week or 2 ago my XP (sp.2) system started taking a long time to start,
    > about 3 minutes. I can't think of any application I've added during
    > this time.
    >
    > I removed all apps from the StartUp folders.
    >
    > After turning the system on
    > the opening splash screen comes up and then promptly
    > the image for my wallpaper (in use long before this problem).
    > Then it pauses for 1-2 minutes.
    > Ctrl-alt-del can be invoked. It shows 3-10% cpu use, little I/O.
    > The process continues with the appearance of the desktop icons and the
    > taskbar.
    >

    > The pause may be associated with the iexplore.exe process loading. I'm
    > also suspicious of a SAVSCAN.exe.
    >
    > Do you knw what's causing this problem, how to fix it?
    >
    > --
    > Since my access to NNTP is limited, a copy of your reply to
    > ALEXANDEReBARNEs@Yahoo.Com is especially appreciated.
    >
    > Alexander

    SAVScan.exe - Process Information
    http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/SAVScan/

    Resources for troubleshooting startup problems in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;308041

    How to troubleshoot by using the System Configuration utility in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310560

    How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

    How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316434

    Computer Viruses: Description, Prevention, and Recovery
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;129972

    "AeB" wrote:

    > A week or 2 ago my XP (sp.2) system started taking a long time to start,
    > about 3 minutes. I can't think of any application I've added during
    > this time.
    >
    > I removed all apps from the StartUp folders.
    >
    > After turning the system on
    > the opening splash screen comes up and then promptly
    > the image for my wallpaper (in use long before this problem).
    > Then it pauses for 1-2 minutes.
    > Ctrl-alt-del can be invoked. It shows 3-10% cpu use, little I/O.
    > The process continues with the appearance of the desktop icons and the
    > taskbar.
    >

    > The pause may be associated with the iexplore.exe process loading. I'm
    > also suspicious of a SAVSCAN.exe.
    >
    > Do you knw what's causing this problem, how to fix it?
    >
    > --
    > Since my access to NNTP is limited, a copy of your reply to
    > ALEXANDEReBARNEs@Yahoo.Com is especially appreciated.
    >
    > Alexander

    Thanks, guys. I'm following up.

    In follwoing up on the Trojan.KillAV.B virus: it says it has to find a
    C:\winnt\... folder, and I don't have that. I don't think XP has that.

    "anon" <anon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > SAVScan.exe - Process Information
    > http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/SAVScan/
    >
    > Resources for troubleshooting startup problems in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;308041
    >
    > How to troubleshoot by using the System Configuration utility in
    > Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310560
    >
    > How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353
    >
    > How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316434
    >
    > Computer Viruses: Description, Prevention, and Recovery
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;129972
    >

    > "AeB" wrote:
    >
    >> A week or 2 ago my XP (sp.2) system started taking a long time to
    >> start,
    >> about 3 minutes. I can't think of any application I've added during
    >> this time.
    >>
    >> I removed all apps from the StartUp folders.
    >>
    >> After turning the system on
    >> the opening splash screen comes up and then promptly
    >> the image for my wallpaper (in use long before this problem).
    >> Then it pauses for 1-2 minutes.
    >> Ctrl-alt-del can be invoked. It shows 3-10% cpu use, little I/O.
    >> The process continues with the appearance of the desktop icons and
    >> the
    >> taskbar.
    >>

    >> The pause may be associated with the iexplore.exe process loading.
    >> I'm
    >> also suspicious of a SAVSCAN.exe.
    >>
    >> Do you knw what's causing this problem, how to fix it?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Since my access to NNTP is limited, a copy of your reply to
    >> ALEXANDEReBARNEs@Yahoo.Com is especially appreciated.
    >>
    >> Alexander

    Some XP systems have a Winnt folder and some have a Windows folder.

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "AeB" <ALEXANDEReBARNEs@Yahoo.Com> wrote in message
    > Thanks, guys. I'm following up.
    >
    > In follwoing up on the Trojan.KillAV.B virus: it says it has to find a
    > C:\winnt\... folder, and I don't have that. I don't think XP has that.
    >

    > "anon" <anon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> SAVScan.exe - Process Information
    >> http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/SAVScan/
    >>
    >> Resources for troubleshooting startup problems in Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;308041
    >>
    >> How to troubleshoot by using the System Configuration utility in Windows
    >> XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310560
    >>
    >> How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353
    >>
    >> How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316434
    >>
    >> Computer Viruses: Description, Prevention, and Recovery
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;129972
    >>

    >> "AeB" wrote:
    >>
    >>> A week or 2 ago my XP (sp.2) system started taking a long time to start,
    >>> about 3 minutes. I can't think of any application I've added during
    >>> this time.
    >>>
    >>> I removed all apps from the StartUp folders.
    >>>
    >>> After turning the system on
    >>> the opening splash screen comes up and then promptly
    >>> the image for my wallpaper (in use long before this problem).
    >>> Then it pauses for 1-2 minutes.
    >>> Ctrl-alt-del can be invoked. It shows 3-10% cpu use, little I/O.
    >>> The process continues with the appearance of the desktop icons and the
    >>> taskbar.
    >>>

    >>> The pause may be associated with the iexplore.exe process loading. I'm
    >>> also suspicious of a SAVSCAN.exe.
    >>>
    >>> Do you knw what's causing this problem, how to fix it?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Since my access to NNTP is limited, a copy of your reply to
    >>> ALEXANDEReBARNEs@Yahoo.Com is especially appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Alexander

Windows XP