StartUp Delay

July 19, 2005 10:24:55 PM

A week or 2 ago my XP (sp.2) system started taking a long time to start,
about 3 minutes. I can't think of any application I've added during
this time.

I removed all apps from the StartUp folders.

After turning the system on
the opening splash screen comes up and then promptly
the image for my wallpaper (in use long before this problem).
Then it pauses for 1-2 minutes.
Ctrl-alt-del can be invoked. It shows 3-10% cpu use, little I/O.
The process continues with the appearance of the desktop icons and the
taskbar.

The pause may be associated with the iexplore.exe process loading. I'm
also suspicious of a SAVSCAN.exe.

Do you knw what's causing this problem, how to fix it?

--
Since my access to NNTP is limited, a copy of your reply to
ALEXANDEReBARNEs@Yahoo.Com is especially appreciated.

Alexander

More about : startup delay

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 10:24:56 PM

iexplore.exe is Internet Explorer, usually. Why is this loading at startup?

Note: iexplore.exe is also registered as the Trojan.KillAV.B virus

Trojan.KillAV.B
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data...

savscan.exe
http://www.iamnotageek.com/a/savscan.exe.php

[[SAVScan.exe is a process associated with the Norton Antivirus from
Symantec and provides real-tmie protection from Internet bourne threats such
as trojans and spyware. This process should not be removed to ensure that
your system security is not breached.]]
http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/SAVScan/

Slow Computer

THE PARASITE FIGHT Finding, Removing & Protecting Yourself From Scumware
http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:XzbDe.6016$oZ.3854@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net,
AeB <ALEXANDEReBARNEs@Yahoo.Com> hunted and pecked:
> A week or 2 ago my XP (sp.2) system started taking a long time to start,
> about 3 minutes. I can't think of any application I've added during
> this time.
>
> I removed all apps from the StartUp folders.
>
> After turning the system on
> the opening splash screen comes up and then promptly
> the image for my wallpaper (in use long before this problem).
> Then it pauses for 1-2 minutes.
> Ctrl-alt-del can be invoked. It shows 3-10% cpu use, little I/O.
> The process continues with the appearance of the desktop icons and the
> taskbar.
>

> The pause may be associated with the iexplore.exe process loading. I'm
> also suspicious of a SAVSCAN.exe.
>
> Do you knw what's causing this problem, how to fix it?
>
> --
> Since my access to NNTP is limited, a copy of your reply to
> ALEXANDEReBARNEs@Yahoo.Com is especially appreciated.
>
> Alexander
July 19, 2005 10:24:56 PM

SAVScan.exe - Process Information
http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/process...

Resources for troubleshooting startup problems in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;308041

How to troubleshoot by using the System Configuration utility in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310560

How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316434

Computer Viruses: Description, Prevention, and Recovery
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;129972

"AeB" wrote:

> A week or 2 ago my XP (sp.2) system started taking a long time to start,
> about 3 minutes. I can't think of any application I've added during
> this time.
>
> I removed all apps from the StartUp folders.
>
> After turning the system on
> the opening splash screen comes up and then promptly
> the image for my wallpaper (in use long before this problem).
> Then it pauses for 1-2 minutes.
> Ctrl-alt-del can be invoked. It shows 3-10% cpu use, little I/O.
> The process continues with the appearance of the desktop icons and the
> taskbar.
>

> The pause may be associated with the iexplore.exe process loading. I'm
> also suspicious of a SAVSCAN.exe.
>
> Do you knw what's causing this problem, how to fix it?
>
> --
> Since my access to NNTP is limited, a copy of your reply to
> ALEXANDEReBARNEs@Yahoo.Com is especially appreciated.
>
> Alexander

July 24, 2005 6:09:01 AM

Thanks, guys. I'm following up.

In follwoing up on the Trojan.KillAV.B virus: it says it has to find a
C:\winnt\... folder, and I don't have that. I don't think XP has that.

"anon" <anon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> SAVScan.exe - Process Information
> http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/process...
>
> Resources for troubleshooting startup problems in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;308041
>
> How to troubleshoot by using the System Configuration utility in
> Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310560
>
> How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353
>
> How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316434
>
> Computer Viruses: Description, Prevention, and Recovery
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;129972
>

> "AeB" wrote:
>
>> A week or 2 ago my XP (sp.2) system started taking a long time to
>> start,
>> about 3 minutes. I can't think of any application I've added during
>> this time.
>>
>> I removed all apps from the StartUp folders.
>>
>> After turning the system on
>> the opening splash screen comes up and then promptly
>> the image for my wallpaper (in use long before this problem).
>> Then it pauses for 1-2 minutes.
>> Ctrl-alt-del can be invoked. It shows 3-10% cpu use, little I/O.
>> The process continues with the appearance of the desktop icons and
>> the
>> taskbar.
>>

>> The pause may be associated with the iexplore.exe process loading.
>> I'm
>> also suspicious of a SAVSCAN.exe.
>>
>> Do you knw what's causing this problem, how to fix it?
>>
>> --
>> Since my access to NNTP is limited, a copy of your reply to
>> ALEXANDEReBARNEs@Yahoo.Com is especially appreciated.
>>
>> Alexander

July 24, 2005 6:09:02 AM

Some XP systems have a Winnt folder and some have a Windows folder.

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP