interesting disk problem

i just recently found an interesting problem lying in my hard drive. i put
most of my cd's into mp3s for my mp3 player, which are arranged by the
artist, then the album title.

a couple weeks ago, i noticed that when i copied a cd into a specific
folder, the last few tracks had some skipping occurring (from the cd i copied
it from). i borrowed a friends and put the new songs into a new folder. i
don't remember actually deleting the old folder, but it may be possible that
i did.

the problem i've been having with that folder is that whenever i try to
delete it from the drive in the explorer windows, it gives me an error
message that says "Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or
disk." but the interesting thing is that if i try moving the folder above
where i get the error message, the folder is moved.

i've tried using disk defragment and disk scan in both safe mode and regular
xp, and still have the problem.

this was interfering with the folder watch thing of musicmatch, and since i
moved that folder out of where it searches, it works fine.

i wanted to know if theres any other way to get rid of this or if there may
be a problem with the hard drive... i'm hoping its not a problem of the hard
drive.

thanks, rob

"Robert G" <Robert G@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> i just recently found an interesting problem lying in my hard drive. i put
> most of my cd's into mp3s for my mp3 player, which are arranged by the
> artist, then the album title.
>
> a couple weeks ago, i noticed that when i copied a cd into a specific
> folder, the last few tracks had some skipping occurring (from the cd i
copied
> it from). i borrowed a friends and put the new songs into a new folder. i
> don't remember actually deleting the old folder, but it may be possible
that
> i did.
>
> the problem i've been having with that folder is that whenever i try to
> delete it from the drive in the explorer windows, it gives me an error
> message that says "Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or
> disk." but the interesting thing is that if i try moving the folder above
> where i get the error message, the folder is moved.
>
> i've tried using disk defragment and disk scan in both safe mode and
regular
> xp, and still have the problem.
>
> this was interfering with the folder watch thing of musicmatch, and since
> moved that folder out of where it searches, it works fine.
>
> i wanted to know if theres any other way to get rid of this or if there
may
> be a problem with the hard drive... i'm hoping its not a problem of the
hard
> drive.
>
> thanks, rob

I would be somewhat suspicious of the hard drive in this case. I
would suggest starting with a full backup of the drive to somewhere
else so you can do a restore. If you don't have a backup program,
you might want to invest in one (they are a lot less useful AFTER a
drive dies ... ). Once you have the drive backed up, see if the mfgr
has a disk test utility for their drives and run that -- it can look at some
of the low level things. Also double check your cable connections
although that is probably not a problem. Many of the newer drives
have some sort of error reporting that allows you to get more
information from them -- I have not worked with that, but you might
want to google around on "disk errors" or "disk error reporting" for
more info on that. Others will probably fill in the information I
forgot (it's hell getting old). Do start with a backup though -- at
least of the important files if nothing else.

mikey

one quick question about what you wrote...

"Mike Fields" wrote:
> Once you have the drive backed up, see if the mfgr
> has a disk test utility for their drives and run that -- it can look at some
> of the low level things.

do you mean the manufacturer of the hard drive or the manufacturer of the
computer?

i tried searching google for disk error reporting and the third result was a
microsoft xp professional documentation article about using checkdisk in the
command prompt (here:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/chkdsk.mspx).
it got to the second phase and said it can't continue since the disk is not
locked, but also said there were errors found, and to check the next time the
computer is restarted.

as for backups... last year i bought an external drive since it was
requested for some of my television production classes... the problem was,
there were only mac computers, it had usb plugs, but their speed was usb 1.0
or 1.1; so, instead of using it for classes i now use it for a backup drive.
more information than you probably wanted to know, but, hey... i've got a
couple minutes to pass while the other computer is being checked out.