USB drive not showing up on "My Computer"

I am using XP Home SP-2 and have a USB external hard drive (Western Digital)
which I've had and used for over a year and use it to back up to.

I do not know what happened, but it now no longer appears as an icon when I
open My Computer as it used to previously. I can still find it and access
it in explorer (and in many apps) by going to its drive letter (J:), but
cannot see its icon within My Computer along with all the other logical
drives where it used to appear as "H:."

What could have happened? I did temporarily use an external DVD burner (also
USB) which I now no longer have. I suspect that may have had something to
do with this icon disappearance, but how do I get back to where things used
to be with the backup HD showing as H: in "my computer"?

I rebooted the system and that did not help.

Thanks.

--
Jeff
Jeff@falsepart.com

    How long have you had SP2 installed?

    Try Control Panel > Portable Media Devices.
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

    Jeff wrote:
    > I am using XP Home SP-2 and have a USB external hard drive (Western
    > Digital)
    > which I've had and used for over a year and use it to back up to.
    >
    > I do not know what happened, but it now no longer appears as an icon when
    > open My Computer as it used to previously. I can still find it and access
    > it in explorer (and in many apps) by going to its drive letter (J:), but
    > cannot see its icon within My Computer along with all the other logical
    > drives where it used to appear as "H:."
    >
    > What could have happened? I did temporarily use an external DVD burner
    > (also
    > USB) which I now no longer have. I suspect that may have had something to
    > do with this icon disappearance, but how do I get back to where things
    > used
    > to be with the backup HD showing as H: in "my computer"?
    >
    > I rebooted the system and that did not help.
    >
    > Thanks.

Computers USB Drive External Hard Drive Windows XP