USB drive not showing up on "My Computer"

July 19, 2005 7:48:04 PM

I am using XP Home SP-2 and have a USB external hard drive (Western Digital)
which I've had and used for over a year and use it to back up to.

I do not know what happened, but it now no longer appears as an icon when I
open My Computer as it used to previously. I can still find it and access
it in explorer (and in many apps) by going to its drive letter (J:) , but
cannot see its icon within My Computer along with all the other logical
drives where it used to appear as "H:."

What could have happened? I did temporarily use an external DVD burner (also
USB) which I now no longer have. I suspect that may have had something to
do with this icon disappearance, but how do I get back to where things used
to be with the backup HD showing as H: in "my computer"?

I rebooted the system and that did not help.

Thanks.

--
Jeff
Jeff@falsepart.com

How long have you had SP2 installed?

Try Control Panel > Portable Media Devices.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

!