Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 5:14:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

When I turn on my computer (Windows XP) I can see only black screen and it
doesn't want to continue unless I restart it. After few restarts it turns on
or not. Sometimes it doesn't respond and sometimes it shows blue screen with
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL message with STOP error 0x0000000A (0x00000000,
0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x804DBC95)
I ran verifier.exe and it found 2 unsigned drivers: viapfd.sys (VIA PFD
driver) and vinyl97.sys (Vinyl AC'97 Codec Combo WDM Driver) and let it
verify them. But it didn't help. Norton doesn't find any viruses. I have also
Zone Alarm installed. What can I do to solve this problem?

More about : irql equal

July 19, 2005 7:13:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Marta wrote:

> When I turn on my computer (Windows XP) I can see only black screen and it
> doesn't want to continue unless I restart it. After few restarts it turns on
> or not. Sometimes it doesn't respond and sometimes it shows blue screen with
> IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL message with STOP error 0x0000000A (0x00000000,
> 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x804DBC95)
> I ran verifier.exe and it found 2 unsigned drivers: viapfd.sys (VIA PFD
> driver) and vinyl97.sys (Vinyl AC'97 Codec Combo WDM Driver) and let it
> verify them. But it didn't help. Norton doesn't find any viruses. I have also
> Zone Alarm installed. What can I do to solve this problem?

See this link for some troubleshooting tips:
http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm
0x0000000A: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 2:10:10 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"Marta" <Marta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>When I turn on my computer (Windows XP) I can see only black screen and it
>doesn't want to continue unless I restart it. After few restarts it turns on
>or not. Sometimes it doesn't respond and sometimes it shows blue screen with
>IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL message with STOP error 0x0000000A (0x00000000,
>0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x804DBC95)

Which black screen? The one that shows when the computer is first
turned on, before anything happens at all? Or the black screen that
shows (usually briefly) during the initial loading phase of Windows
XP, immediately after the initial Windows XP startup screen displays?

Because the problem is always there when the machine is cold, and
sometimes goes away after the machine has been on for a while and the
components have warmed up a bit, I would put a temperature related
hardware defect at the top of the list.

Diagnosing these can be difficult, and it usually ends up with just
swapping out components until the problem goes away, at which point
you know that the last component you changes was probably the culprit.


>I ran verifier.exe and it found 2 unsigned drivers: viapfd.sys (VIA PFD
>driver) and vinyl97.sys (Vinyl AC'97 Codec Combo WDM Driver) and let it
>verify them. But it didn't help. Norton doesn't find any viruses. I have also
>Zone Alarm installed. What can I do to solve this problem?

What anti-spyware software do you have installed? See MVP Jim
Eshelman's Spyware pages, starting with
http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm and try the various tests,
cleanup, and preventative procedures that he recommends.

Good luck


Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Related resources
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 4:28:19 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Check your system RAM.

On another PC:
1. Go to http://www.simmtester.com/
2. Register and download a free copy of DocMem.
3. Have it build a test floppy.

On your PC in trouble:
1. In BIOS, set 1st Boot Device temporarily to floppy
2. Boot from this floppy.
3. Choose Burn-in test
4. Run tests for at least 2 hours (under standard usage conditions).

Post results back here.

HTH,
John7

"Marta" <Marta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:AEA8DB31-AE35-49CB-82E8-4F8FF8168A91@microsoft.com...
> When I turn on my computer (Windows XP) I can see only black screen and it
> doesn't want to continue unless I restart it. After few restarts it turns
on
> or not. Sometimes it doesn't respond and sometimes it shows blue screen
with
> IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL message with STOP error 0x0000000A (0x00000000,
> 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x804DBC95)
> I ran verifier.exe and it found 2 unsigned drivers: viapfd.sys (VIA PFD
> driver) and vinyl97.sys (Vinyl AC'97 Codec Combo WDM Driver) and let it
> verify them. But it didn't help. Norton doesn't find any viruses. I have
also
> Zone Alarm installed. What can I do to solve this problem?
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 4:48:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thanks a lot for your advice!
Computer stops with the first black screen - before anything happens at all
and it doesn't want to continue unless i restart it.
Today when I mamaged to turn my computer on I saw blue scren with STOP error
0x000000C4 (0x00000090, 0xFFDFF120, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) and a message
that the system was stoped because one of the drivers could harm my computer.
What can I do with it?
Marta


"Ron Martell" wrote:

> "Marta" <Marta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >When I turn on my computer (Windows XP) I can see only black screen and it
> >doesn't want to continue unless I restart it. After few restarts it turns on
> >or not. Sometimes it doesn't respond and sometimes it shows blue screen with
> >IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL message with STOP error 0x0000000A (0x00000000,
> >0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x804DBC95)
>
> Which black screen? The one that shows when the computer is first
> turned on, before anything happens at all? Or the black screen that
> shows (usually briefly) during the initial loading phase of Windows
> XP, immediately after the initial Windows XP startup screen displays?
>
> Because the problem is always there when the machine is cold, and
> sometimes goes away after the machine has been on for a while and the
> components have warmed up a bit, I would put a temperature related
> hardware defect at the top of the list.
>
> Diagnosing these can be difficult, and it usually ends up with just
> swapping out components until the problem goes away, at which point
> you know that the last component you changes was probably the culprit.
>
>
> >I ran verifier.exe and it found 2 unsigned drivers: viapfd.sys (VIA PFD
> >driver) and vinyl97.sys (Vinyl AC'97 Codec Combo WDM Driver) and let it
> >verify them. But it didn't help. Norton doesn't find any viruses. I have also
> >Zone Alarm installed. What can I do to solve this problem?
>
> What anti-spyware software do you have installed? See MVP Jim
> Eshelman's Spyware pages, starting with
> http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm and try the various tests,
> cleanup, and preventative procedures that he recommends.
>
> Good luck
>
>
> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
>
> In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
> http://aumha.org/alex.htm
>
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 12:36:06 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"Marta" <Marta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks a lot for your advice!
>Computer stops with the first black screen - before anything happens at all
>and it doesn't want to continue unless i restart it.

That indicates a hardware problem of some sort, most likely with the
power supply or the motherboard. You probably need to take it to a
computer repair shop to get this diagnosed and fixed.

If the computer does not get to the point where the initial Windows XP
startup logo is displayed then the cause is almost always a hardware
failure rather than a Windows problem.


>Today when I mamaged to turn my computer on I saw blue scren with STOP error
>0x000000C4 (0x00000090, 0xFFDFF120, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) and a message
>that the system was stoped because one of the drivers could harm my computer.
>What can I do with it?
>Marta
>

The name for that STOP code is DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION

Did the message include the name of the specific driver that caused
the error? That is probably the most important item that needs to be
identified.

Good luck


Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
http://aumha.org/alex.htm
!