Are files ever uncompressed by Windows?

If when I run DiskCleanup I let it compress old files,

Are they compressed forever if I do not manually uncheck the Compressedfile
check box in the files properties?

Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about files uncompressed windows

    [[Compress Old Files - Windows can compress files that you have not used
    recently. Compressing files saves disk space, but you can still use the
    files. No files are deleted. Because files are compressed at different
    rates, the displayed amount of disk space that you will gain is approximate.
    An Options button permits you to specify the number of days to wait before
    Disk Cleanup compresses an unused file.]]
    How to Automate the Disk Cleanup Tool in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315246

    [[When you open a compressed file, Windows automatically decompresses it for
    you, and when you close the file, Windows compresses it again. This process
    may decrease your computer’s performance. ]]
    File compression overview
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ff_file_compress_overview.mspx

    To uncompress files or folders.

    1. Right-click the file or folder you want to uncompress and then click
    Properties.

    2. On the General tab, click the Advanced button.

    3. UNSelect the Compress contents to save disk space check box and then
    click OK.

    4. In the Properties dialog box, click OK.

    5. In Confirm Attribute Changes, select the option you want.

    6. Click Apply, wait for the attributes to be applied (you'll see a window
    with a guage) then click OK.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:%23te0p7JjFHA.2004@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    **Developer** <REMOVEdeveloper@a-znet.com> hunted and pecked:
    > If when I run DiskCleanup I let it compress old files,
    >
    > Are they compressed forever if I do not manually uncheck the
    > Compressedfile check box in the files properties?
    >

    > Thanks

    thanks

    > [[Compress Old Files - Windows can compress files that you have not used
    > recently. Compressing files saves disk space, but you can still use the
    > files. No files are deleted. Because files are compressed at different
    > rates, the displayed amount of disk space that you will gain is
    > approximate.
    > An Options button permits you to specify the number of days to wait before
    > Disk Cleanup compresses an unused file.]]
    > How to Automate the Disk Cleanup Tool in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315246
    >
    > [[When you open a compressed file, Windows automatically decompresses it
    > for
    > you, and when you close the file, Windows compresses it again. This
    > process
    > may decrease your computer’s performance. ]]
    > File compression overview
    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ff_file_compress_overview.mspx
    >

    > To uncompress files or folders.
    >
    > 1. Right-click the file or folder you want to uncompress and then click
    > Properties.
    >
    > 2. On the General tab, click the Advanced button.
    >
    > 3. UNSelect the Compress contents to save disk space check box and then
    > click OK.
    >
    > 4. In the Properties dialog box, click OK.
    >
    > 5. In Confirm Attribute Changes, select the option you want.
    >
    > 6. Click Apply, wait for the attributes to be applied (you'll see a window
    > with a guage) then click OK.
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:%23te0p7JjFHA.2004@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    > **Developer** <REMOVEdeveloper@a-znet.com> hunted and pecked:
    >> If when I run DiskCleanup I let it compress old files,
    >>
    >> Are they compressed forever if I do not manually uncheck the
    >> Compressedfile check box in the files properties?
    >>

    >> Thanks

    Yes.

    " **Developer**" <REMOVEdeveloper@a-znet.com> wrote in message news:%23te0p7JjFHA.2004@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > If when I run DiskCleanup I let it compress old files,
    >
    > Are they compressed forever if I do not manually uncheck the Compressedfile
    > check box in the files properties?
    >

    > Thanks

    thanks
    "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    Yes.

    " **Developer**" <REMOVEdeveloper@a-znet.com> wrote in message
    > If when I run DiskCleanup I let it compress old files,
    >
    > Are they compressed forever if I do not manually uncheck the
    > Compressedfile
    > check box in the files properties?
    >

    > Thanks

Microsoft Windows XP