Are files ever uncompressed by Windows?

Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
July 19, 2005 8:17:38 PM

If when I run DiskCleanup I let it compress old files,

Are they compressed forever if I do not manually uncheck the Compressedfile
check box in the files properties?

Thanks

More about : files uncompressed windows

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 8:17:39 PM

[[Compress Old Files - Windows can compress files that you have not used
recently. Compressing files saves disk space, but you can still use the
files. No files are deleted. Because files are compressed at different
rates, the displayed amount of disk space that you will gain is approximate.
An Options button permits you to specify the number of days to wait before
Disk Cleanup compresses an unused file.]]
How to Automate the Disk Cleanup Tool in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315246

[[When you open a compressed file, Windows automatically decompresses it for
you, and when you close the file, Windows compresses it again. This process
may decrease your computer’s performance. ]]
File compression overview

To uncompress files or folders.

1. Right-click the file or folder you want to uncompress and then click
Properties.

2. On the General tab, click the Advanced button.

3. UNSelect the Compress contents to save disk space check box and then
click OK.

4. In the Properties dialog box, click OK.

5. In Confirm Attribute Changes, select the option you want.

6. Click Apply, wait for the attributes to be applied (you'll see a window
with a guage) then click OK.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%23te0p7JjFHA.2004@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
**Developer** <REMOVEdeveloper@a-znet.com> hunted and pecked:
> If when I run DiskCleanup I let it compress old files,
>
> Are they compressed forever if I do not manually uncheck the
> Compressedfile check box in the files properties?
>

> Thanks
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 12:54:56 AM

thanks

> [[Compress Old Files - Windows can compress files that you have not used
> recently. Compressing files saves disk space, but you can still use the
> files. No files are deleted. Because files are compressed at different
> rates, the displayed amount of disk space that you will gain is
> approximate.
> An Options button permits you to specify the number of days to wait before
> Disk Cleanup compresses an unused file.]]
> How to Automate the Disk Cleanup Tool in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315246
>
> [[When you open a compressed file, Windows automatically decompresses it
> for
> you, and when you close the file, Windows compresses it again. This
> process
> may decrease your computer’s performance. ]]
> File compression overview
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/window...
>

> To uncompress files or folders.
>
> 1. Right-click the file or folder you want to uncompress and then click
> Properties.
>
> 2. On the General tab, click the Advanced button.
>
> 3. UNSelect the Compress contents to save disk space check box and then
> click OK.
>
> 4. In the Properties dialog box, click OK.
>
> 5. In Confirm Attribute Changes, select the option you want.
>
> 6. Click Apply, wait for the attributes to be applied (you'll see a window
> with a guage) then click OK.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:%23te0p7JjFHA.2004@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> **Developer** <REMOVEdeveloper@a-znet.com> hunted and pecked:
>> If when I run DiskCleanup I let it compress old files,
>>
>> Are they compressed forever if I do not manually uncheck the
>> Compressedfile check box in the files properties?
>>

>> Thanks

July 20, 2005 12:20:17 PM

Yes.

" **Developer**" <REMOVEdeveloper@a-znet.com> wrote in message news:%23te0p7JjFHA.2004@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> If when I run DiskCleanup I let it compress old files,
>
> Are they compressed forever if I do not manually uncheck the Compressedfile
> check box in the files properties?
>

> Thanks

Anonymous
July 20, 2005 12:20:18 PM