McAafee vs Windows firewalls

July 20, 2005 1:53:00 AM

I have windows xp, sp2, totally patched and up to date.
I use the firewall that came with it.

I also have a not installed copy of McAfee Personael firewall #6.

Is the McAfee one better,i. e. should I disable the built in one and install
the MCAfee insnstead for the best protection?

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks
July 20, 2005 1:53:01 AM

the Mcafee Firewall most likely has more features, it would not be nessacary
to disable Windows firewall if you were going to install McAfee's. you can
leave Windows firewall enabled and also use McAfee's firewall at the same
time without issue (assuming you configure them properly).

"Patrick Pierson" wrote:

> I have windows xp, sp2, totally patched and up to date.
> I use the firewall that came with it.
>
> I also have a not installed copy of McAfee Personael firewall #6.
>
> Is the McAfee one better,i. e. should I disable the built in one and install
> the MCAfee insnstead for the best protection?
>
> Any opinions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks

July 20, 2005 1:53:01 AM

Patrick Pierson wrote:

> I have windows xp, sp2, totally patched and up to date.
> I use the firewall that came with it.
>
> I also have a not installed copy of McAfee Personael firewall #6.
>
> Is the McAfee one better,i. e. should I disable the built in one and install
> the MCAfee insnstead for the best protection?
>
> Any opinions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks

I have never used the McAFee PF, however in general you should not have
two firewalls running at the same time. XP's firewall is ok, but it
does not monitor traffic leaving the computer, only inbound traffic, so
if there is a bug on the system that wants to phone home, it can. It is
better to have a 3rd party firewall installed that monitors both inbound
and outbound. I use Sygate's PF. They have free and paid versions.
Zone Alarm and Kerio are also good. As I said I have no experience with
McAfee's PF>

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Patrick Pierson wrote:
> I have windows xp, sp2, totally patched and up to date.
> I use the firewall that came with it.
>
> I also have a not installed copy of McAfee Personael firewall #6.
>
> Is the McAfee one better,i. e. should I disable the built in one and install
> the MCAfee insnstead for the best protection?
>
> Any opinions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks

Almost any firewall is better than WinXP's built-in one, although I've
no experience with McAfee's product.

WinXP's built-in firewall is adequate at stopping incoming attacks,
and hiding your ports from probes. What WinXP SP2's firewall does not
do, is protect you from any Trojans or spyware that you (or someone
else using your computer) might download and install inadvertently.
It doesn't monitor out-going traffic at all, other than to check for
IP-spoofing, much less block (or at even ask you about) the bad or the
questionable out-going signals. It assumes that any application you
have on your hard drive is there because you want it there, and
therefore has your "permission" to access the Internet. Further,
because the Windows Firewall is a "stateful" firewall, it will also
assume that any incoming traffic that's a direct response to a
Trojan's or spyware's out-going signal is also authorized.

ZoneAlarm, Kerio, or Sygate are all much better than WinXP's
built-in firewall, and are much more easily configured, and there are
free versions of each readily available. Even the commercially
available Symantec's Norton Personal Firewall is superior by far,
although it does take a heavier toll of system performance then do
ZoneAlarm or Sygate.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
July 20, 2005 1:53:02 AM

Hello Patrick.I installed the McAfee firewall earlier this week,but before i
done that i had to turn off the XP firewall as both firewall's would have
fought with each other.
I have reason to believe the XP firewall is only a very basic one,the McAfee
firewall will give you full protection.
Hope this will be of some help to you.
--
If you have received this e-mail in error then please notify the sender &
return.Thank you.

"anon" wrote:

> the Mcafee Firewall most likely has more features, it would not be nessacary
> to disable Windows firewall if you were going to install McAfee's. you can
> leave Windows firewall enabled and also use McAfee's firewall at the same
> time without issue (assuming you configure them properly).
>
> "Patrick Pierson" wrote:
>
> > I have windows xp, sp2, totally patched and up to date.
> > I use the firewall that came with it.
> >
> > I also have a not installed copy of McAfee Personael firewall #6.
> >
> > Is the McAfee one better,i. e. should I disable the built in one and install
> > the MCAfee insnstead for the best protection?
> >
> > Any opinions would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks

Anonymous
July 20, 2005 4:55:29 AM

Two firewalls does not mean double the protection and, many firewall
manufacturers ask you to disable the windows firewall while using there
product.
Windows firewall is extrememly basic and only monitors incoming traffic.
McAfee on the other hand has many more features (well all reputable
firewalls have more features than the Windows firewall) and monitors both
incoming packets and out going packets.
Personally i use the totally free version of Zone Alarm. It may be missing a
few features of the paid for version of Zone Alarm but it does the job a
hell of a lot better than the Windows Firewall. But as you have already
purchased McAfee PF then i suggest you install it and use it. Just make sure
you disable the windows firewall first.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert