raptors larger than 74gb?

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
is there any info when they are going to make larger cap raptors?

your all just a bunch of slaves
how long you gonna let them push you around

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
The Raptor is poised to be a SCSI killer, hence the 10k RPM, command queuing and the 5 year waranty.

Small incremental advances are the norm for IDE drive, but businesses want time to evaluate a product before integrating it into a mission critical system.

Also reliablity and short development cycles just don't mix. By the time they have the manufacturing process just right its time to change over to the new model which is proabably no more than 25% larger and 4% faster.

So there are doing to be a lot less models released at far greater intervals.

My guess is WD probably won't release a new one until it can have twice the capacity and is at least 25% faster. Or maybe twice the capacity paired with a new command queuing capiable of going head to head with SCSI in server performance.

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
good idea
the raptors will probably even quicker as a raid config
but only have to figure out how to do raid

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
very good thanks.
and what exactly is command queing i believe maxtors do that?

G

It has to do with the rotation of the disk and organizing commands. I believe you are asking about the TCQ feature on WD's Raptor drive right? Tagged Command Queiung allows the HDD adaptor to add tags to individual commands and organize them in a manner to reduce rotation and increase performance. Its only really effective with high I/O workloads. Think of an elevator carrying people. Imagine the elevator dropping people off in the order the buttons were pushed. Not a big deal if there's only 2 people, but a pain in the arse when you have 20 people in 1 elevator. Tcq would be the elevator going to the nearest floor instead of in the order the buttons were pushed, thereby reducing peoples waiting time and increasing efficiency. Catch my drift? :smile:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Enthusiast </b>!! </font color=green>
<i> <font color=red> One new Firefox fan </font color=red> </i>

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
that sounds good
but does it need special drivers or chipsets and the like?
and i thought thats what the buffer did?

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
that sounds good
Yes it <i>sounds</i> very good but in actual fact it's about as good for desktop/workstations as a hole in the head. It stands to reason that Command Queing can only work when you have a disk queue. In a single user environment you simply cannot generate a queue. Believe me, I've tried. I got my queue to 4. TCQ makes ah heck all difference when your disk queue is 4. When it's 64 sure, it'll make a world of difference.

but does it need special drivers or chipsets and the like?
You need a SATA controller capable of supporting it. It's only really come to the fore with the release of ICH6 and all the fanboys start crowing "Look at me I've got TCQ" not realising it's a bag of [-peep-] and actually decreasing their hard disk performance.

i thought thats what the buffer did?
The cache does what all caches do, holds information in memory which can be either written out to the drive at a later time or sent to the main RAM when requested without having to acess the physical media.

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
i still don`t get it
do i add it after os installed or before?

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
so i`m better off with a raptor then
i don`t think any mb support tcq
and if the did it would only be beneficial for a server?

G

Correct. If the mobo doesn't support it, no big deal it just won't be used. Also note that TCQ doesn't function on a controller that supports ncq and vice versa :smile:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Enthusiast </b>!! </font color=green>

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
<A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/20041116/command_queuing-01.html" target="_new">Native Command Queing</A> is the version of command queing implemented in the SATAII specifications and found on SATA drives.

Tagged Command Queing is the implementation found in SCSI devices.

So no, TCQ (SCSI) doesn't function on NCQ (SATA) controllers and vice versa.

G

Remember that Raptors are the exception. They support TCQ even though they are a SATA device. :smile:

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Raptors are pretty much a scsi drive w/ a sata plug, lol.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

RichPLS

Champion
In less than a year Western Digital launched an extension of its extraordinary Raptor drive. Officially it's not Raptor 2, but for simplicity we will call WD Raptor WD360GD - Raptor, and WD Raptor WD740GD - Raptor 2. At its time WD360GD was the first SATA drive with the spindle speed of 10,000 rpm. Moreover, there are no more hard drive makers that produce such drives. What changed except the disc size? First of all, the new version has a doubled size due to one more platter. The platter write density hardly changed, but the linear density is increased and it must have a positive effect on the linear read speed. Secondly, the average read access time was reduced from 5.2 ms to 4.5 ms, i.e. by 0.7 ms! Thirdly, WD740GD supports Ultra/150 Command Queuing technology (Ultra/150 CQ) which optimizes the command queue. Finally, the FDB motor must improve drive's acoustic characteristics. The changes are not few but if it improves the drive's performance we will see later. Unfortunately, the PATA-to-SATA bridge from Marvell (Marvell 88i8030-TBC) is inherited from the first drive. By the way, it's located on the outer side of the disc board. Also, you can use any power supply cable type (standard 4-pin or special 15-pin SATA) and proprietary cooling fins.

The Ultra/150 CQ is actually an analog of SATA 1.0 Tagged Command Queuing (but not SATA II Native Command Queuing), which in its turn was transferred to SATA from PATA (or rather ATA-4). All these technologies manage the command queuing optimization but it also requires a controller which could understand such commands. At the moment there are two chips supporting the command queuing management - Marvell 88SX60xx and Silicon Image SiI 3124 (both support SATA 1.0 Tagged Command Queuing and SATA II Native Command Queuing).

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

G

Yeah, I love em too :smile:

G

Wow that was very educational. I didn't know that about the power connector. Thanks for the info. :smile: But if you use the standard 4 pin does it affect performance negatively?

RichPLS

Champion
Makes no difference in performance, but I don't believe hot swap will work.

So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

pat

Expert
i still don`t get it
do i add it after os installed or before?

READ THE FUC&*#$ RAID FAQ, NOOB!

Ahhhhhhhhhh damn I was over due...

I wont let you push me aruond... you definitively shouldnt...

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

RichPLS

Champion
*whistles . . . applause*

TRENDING THREADS