Help - lost existing network, access denied - after upgrad..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.za.windowsxp.networking (More info?)

Hi all,

I have a problem with my existing network at home - I have had a fully
functional network at home with 2 desktops and 2 wireless laptops sharing an
internet connection via Linksys router on WinXP. The problems occured after
I upgraded one of my laptops and one of my desktops to SP2. The upgrade
went flawlessly. However, when I click on the network neighbourhood and
select one of my four computers - I get an dialog; "Computer Name is not
accessible... you may not have permissions... contact network
administrator... Access denied" I am logged in as the administrator. What
had changed? I still see all my computers in the neighbourhood.

Simple File Sharing is set on
I have shared certain directories and drives before I upgraded to SP2
I've checked the firewall - and filesharing exception is checked.
I've got internet sharing on all computers
I've pinged each computer and I get a return
I've confirmed that Computer Browser in Services has started and is
automatic
I've tried TCP/IP advanced from standard to NetBios over TCP/IP
I've tried the network wizard disk on all computers
I've renamed my workgroup to HOME and each computer to ONE, TWO, THREE, FOUR

None of these seem to work to allow me access so far. Funny occassionally,
I see a shared documents folder in my Network Places, and I can copy to it -
but I can open the computers themselves. Is there something new in SP2 that
I need to set permissions? I haven't set any passwords for anything - its
only my wife and I at home, so we each just log on with our names without
passwords and WindowsXP just loads onto the desktop without asking (which is
how we prefer it). I actually re-installed WinXP (SP2 slipstreamed) on my
desktop - thinking something got mucked up in the upgrade - but still no go.
So far I have very little back on my desktop - its still pretty much a bare
clean install - just updated from MS, MS Office and Norton SystemWorks
2005 - but NO Internet Security.

Help, any suggestions would be helpful.
Wm
10 answers Last reply
More about help lost existing network access denied upgrad
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.za.windowsxp.networking (More info?)

    ouch, doesn't sound like much fun:

    completely uninstall security softwares temporarily for Troubleshooting
    procedures (this includes 3rd party firewall, antivirus, spywares,
    antispywares, popupstoppers, etc...)

    How to troubleshoot TCP/IP connectivity with Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314067

    How to troubleshoot network connectivity problems
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325487

    How to troubleshoot wireless network connections in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313242

    How to set up your computer for wireless networking in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314897

    How to troubleshoot home networking in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308007

    How to configure file sharing in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040

    hope one of these articles helps.

    "William Cheng @work" wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have a problem with my existing network at home - I have had a fully
    > functional network at home with 2 desktops and 2 wireless laptops sharing an
    > internet connection via Linksys router on WinXP. The problems occured after
    > I upgraded one of my laptops and one of my desktops to SP2. The upgrade
    > went flawlessly. However, when I click on the network neighbourhood and
    > select one of my four computers - I get an dialog; "Computer Name is not
    > accessible... you may not have permissions... contact network
    > administrator... Access denied" I am logged in as the administrator. What
    > had changed? I still see all my computers in the neighbourhood.
    >
    > Simple File Sharing is set on
    > I have shared certain directories and drives before I upgraded to SP2
    > I've checked the firewall - and filesharing exception is checked.
    > I've got internet sharing on all computers
    > I've pinged each computer and I get a return
    > I've confirmed that Computer Browser in Services has started and is
    > automatic
    > I've tried TCP/IP advanced from standard to NetBios over TCP/IP
    > I've tried the network wizard disk on all computers
    > I've renamed my workgroup to HOME and each computer to ONE, TWO, THREE, FOUR
    >
    > None of these seem to work to allow me access so far. Funny occassionally,
    > I see a shared documents folder in my Network Places, and I can copy to it -
    > but I can open the computers themselves. Is there something new in SP2 that
    > I need to set permissions? I haven't set any passwords for anything - its
    > only my wife and I at home, so we each just log on with our names without
    > passwords and WindowsXP just loads onto the desktop without asking (which is
    > how we prefer it). I actually re-installed WinXP (SP2 slipstreamed) on my
    > desktop - thinking something got mucked up in the upgrade - but still no go.
    > So far I have very little back on my desktop - its still pretty much a bare
    > clean install - just updated from MS, MS Office and Norton SystemWorks
    > 2005 - but NO Internet Security.
    >
    > Help, any suggestions would be helpful.
    > Wm

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.za.windowsxp.networking (More info?)

    Hi William,

    Certain features of file and printer sharing have been modified in SP2 to enhance security. You
    might want to go through the following article to see the list of changes and it might help you
    figuring out the problem:

    Making File and Printer Sharing Safer in Windows XP Service Pack 2
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/learnmore/sp2firewall.mspx

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    In memory of Alex Nichol

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "William Cheng @work" <NOSPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have a problem with my existing network at home - I have had a fully functional network at home
    > with 2 desktops and 2 wireless laptops sharing an internet connection via Linksys router on WinXP.
    > The problems occured after I upgraded one of my laptops and one of my desktops to SP2. The
    > upgrade went flawlessly. However, when I click on the network neighbourhood and select one of my
    > four computers - I get an dialog; "Computer Name is not accessible... you may not have
    > permissions... contact network administrator... Access denied" I am logged in as the
    > administrator. What had changed? I still see all my computers in the neighbourhood.
    >
    > Simple File Sharing is set on
    > I have shared certain directories and drives before I upgraded to SP2
    > I've checked the firewall - and filesharing exception is checked.
    > I've got internet sharing on all computers
    > I've pinged each computer and I get a return
    > I've confirmed that Computer Browser in Services has started and is automatic
    > I've tried TCP/IP advanced from standard to NetBios over TCP/IP
    > I've tried the network wizard disk on all computers
    > I've renamed my workgroup to HOME and each computer to ONE, TWO, THREE, FOUR
    >
    > None of these seem to work to allow me access so far. Funny occassionally, I see a shared
    > documents folder in my Network Places, and I can copy to it - but I can open the computers
    > themselves. Is there something new in SP2 that I need to set permissions? I haven't set any
    > passwords for anything - its only my wife and I at home, so we each just log on with our names
    > without passwords and WindowsXP just loads onto the desktop without asking (which is how we prefer
    > it). I actually re-installed WinXP (SP2 slipstreamed) on my desktop - thinking something got
    > mucked up in the upgrade - but still no go. So far I have very little back on my desktop - its
    > still pretty much a bare clean install - just updated from MS, MS Office and Norton SystemWorks
    > 2005 - but NO Internet Security.
    >
    > Help, any suggestions would be helpful.
    > Wm

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.za.windowsxp.networking (More info?)

    Thanks,

    But could it be anything else? How does one give permissions? I'm pretty
    sure its not a hardware problem - my NC is working - I have stable internet
    connections on all computers.

    "William Cheng @work" <NOSPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have a problem with my existing network at home - I have had a fully
    > functional network at home with 2 desktops and 2 wireless laptops sharing
    > an internet connection via Linksys router on WinXP. The problems occured
    > after I upgraded one of my laptops and one of my desktops to SP2. The
    > upgrade went flawlessly. However, when I click on the network
    > neighbourhood and select one of my four computers - I get an dialog;
    > "Computer Name is not accessible... you may not have permissions...
    > contact network administrator... Access denied" I am logged in as the
    > administrator. What had changed? I still see all my computers in the
    > neighbourhood.
    >
    > Simple File Sharing is set on
    > I have shared certain directories and drives before I upgraded to SP2
    > I've checked the firewall - and filesharing exception is checked.
    > I've got internet sharing on all computers
    > I've pinged each computer and I get a return
    > I've confirmed that Computer Browser in Services has started and is
    > automatic
    > I've tried TCP/IP advanced from standard to NetBios over TCP/IP
    > I've tried the network wizard disk on all computers
    > I've renamed my workgroup to HOME and each computer to ONE, TWO, THREE,
    > FOUR
    >
    > None of these seem to work to allow me access so far. Funny
    > occassionally, I see a shared documents folder in my Network Places, and I
    > can copy to it - but I can open the computers themselves. Is there
    > something new in SP2 that I need to set permissions? I haven't set any
    > passwords for anything - its only my wife and I at home, so we each just
    > log on with our names without passwords and WindowsXP just loads onto the
    > desktop without asking (which is how we prefer it). I actually
    > re-installed WinXP (SP2 slipstreamed) on my desktop - thinking something
    > got mucked up in the upgrade - but still no go. So far I have very little
    > back on my desktop - its still pretty much a bare clean install - just
    > updated from MS, MS Office and Norton SystemWorks 2005 - but NO Internet
    > Security.
    >
    > Help, any suggestions would be helpful.
    > Wm

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.za.windowsxp.networking (More info?)

    Thanks Anando,

    But unfortunately, the MS article wasn't of much help. As I mentioned
    before, my Windows firewall has the proper file sharing exceptions enabled.
    I don't use passwords (and would prefer not to - unless SP2 absolutely
    requires them now for networking) so the rest of the article didn't apply to
    me and I do have all my updates in order.

    Anything else - its not a hardware problem, its some software permissions.
    With my laptop at work, I can get onto other people's shared folder and
    computer - but they can't get onto mine. I show up in the workgroups, but
    when they click on me, they get the same "access denied" dialog I get at
    home. So it must be me!

    "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message
> [...]
    >> FOUR
    >>
    >> None of these seem to work to allow me access so far. Funny
    >> occassionally, I see a shared documents folder in my Network Places, and
    >> I can copy to it - but I can open the computers themselves. Is there
    >> something new in SP2 that I need to set permissions? I haven't set any
    >> passwords for anything - its only my wife and I at home, so we each just
    >> log on with our names without passwords and WindowsXP just loads onto the
    >> desktop without asking (which is how we prefer it). I actually
    >> re-installed WinXP (SP2 slipstreamed) on my desktop - thinking something
    >> got mucked up in the upgrade - but still no go. So far I have very little
    >> back on my desktop - its still pretty much a bare clean install - just
    >> updated from MS, MS Office and Norton SystemWorks 2005 - but NO Internet

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.za.windowsxp.networking (More info?)

    Hi Anon,

    Unfortunately, after much reading, the articles were not of much help. The
    articles that relate to hardware diagnosis doesn't relate to me, nor the
    wireless networking - its not the hardware, its the software security
    portion. All the pings confirm I have a network that talks to each other
    (which was perfectly fine before I installed SP2!) As I have mentioned
    above in my original posting, I have tried a lot of these solutions
    already - with the exception of repairing my IPSTACK and WINSOCK (which I
    don't think could be corrupted since I did a clean install of WinXP SP2 on
    the desktop). Additionally I do know how to configure file sharing - I've
    done it for years until the SP2 upgrade. I just don't get what I'm
    missing - arghh! I'm at wits end now - wasted so much time trying just to
    get back what I had! The upgrade to SP2 was the worst decision I've made in
    a long time - nothing was wrong before! If it ain't broke... don't fix it.
    But know I can't really go back unless I re-install everything.

    How do I set permissions to allow each other to log onto the computers?

    "anon" <anon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    >> it -
    >> but I can open the computers themselves. Is there something new in SP2
    >> that
    >> I need to set permissions? I haven't set any passwords for anything -
    >> its
    >> only my wife and I at home, so we each just log on with our names without
    >> passwords and WindowsXP just loads onto the desktop without asking (which
    >> is
    >> how we prefer it). I actually re-installed WinXP (SP2 slipstreamed) on
    >> my
    >> desktop - thinking something got mucked up in the upgrade - but still no
    >> go.
    >> So far I have very little back on my desktop - its still pretty much a
    >> bare
    >> clean install - just updated from MS, MS Office and Norton SystemWorks

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.za.windowsxp.networking (More info?)

    What are the os's of each workstation?
    FAT's can't access user accounts on NTFS (WinXP) boxes. Win9x loggon to XP
    boxes as a "guest" and can access the "All User" account only.

    I just had a similar issue resolved. With this comment.
    "XP Home does not allow sharing of the My Documents or Program Files

    "William Cheng" <wm_cheng_NOSPAM_@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > Thanks,
    >
    > But could it be anything else? How does one give permissions? I'm pretty
    > sure its not a hardware problem - my NC is working - I have stable
    internet
    > connections on all computers.
    >

    > "William Cheng @work" <NOSPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I have a problem with my existing network at home - I have had a fully
    > > functional network at home with 2 desktops and 2 wireless laptops
    sharing
    > > an internet connection via Linksys router on WinXP. The problems
    occured
    > > after I upgraded one of my laptops and one of my desktops to SP2. The
    > > upgrade went flawlessly. However, when I click on the network
    > > neighbourhood and select one of my four computers - I get an dialog;
    > > "Computer Name is not accessible... you may not have permissions...
    > > contact network administrator... Access denied" I am logged in as the
    > > administrator. What had changed? I still see all my computers in the
    > > neighbourhood.
    > >
    > > Simple File Sharing is set on
    > > I have shared certain directories and drives before I upgraded to SP2
    > > I've checked the firewall - and filesharing exception is checked.
    > > I've got internet sharing on all computers
    > > I've pinged each computer and I get a return
    > > I've confirmed that Computer Browser in Services has started and is
    > > automatic
    > > I've tried TCP/IP advanced from standard to NetBios over TCP/IP
    > > I've tried the network wizard disk on all computers
    > > I've renamed my workgroup to HOME and each computer to ONE, TWO, THREE,
    > > FOUR
    > >
    > > None of these seem to work to allow me access so far. Funny
    > > occassionally, I see a shared documents folder in my Network Places, and
    > > can copy to it - but I can open the computers themselves. Is there
    > > something new in SP2 that I need to set permissions? I haven't set any
    > > passwords for anything - its only my wife and I at home, so we each just
    > > log on with our names without passwords and WindowsXP just loads onto
    the
    > > desktop without asking (which is how we prefer it). I actually
    > > re-installed WinXP (SP2 slipstreamed) on my desktop - thinking something
    > > got mucked up in the upgrade - but still no go. So far I have very
    little
    > > back on my desktop - its still pretty much a bare clean install - just
    > > updated from MS, MS Office and Norton SystemWorks 2005 - but NO Internet
    > > Security.
    > >
    > > Help, any suggestions would be helpful.
    > > Wm

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.za.windowsxp.networking (More info?)

    In article <Oe1HEGNjFHA.3336@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, "mgm"
    <mgmombo@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >What are the os's of each workstation?
    >FAT's can't access user accounts on NTFS (WinXP) boxes.

    Yes, they can.

    A Win9x computer can't access an NTFS partition on its own local disk,
    but that doesn't apply to accessing a shared disk over a network.

    All versions of Windows can access shared disks and folders on all
    versions of Windows. It makes no difference what the disk format is
    on any computer. For example, an XP computer with an NTFS can read
    the data on its disk and send it, over the network, to a Win9x
    computer that has a FAT disk.

    >Win9x loggon to XP boxes as a "guest" and can access the "All User" account only.
    >I just had a similar issue resolved. With this comment.
    >"XP Home does not allow sharing of the My Documents or Program Files

    Here's the full story: When XP Home is installed on an NTFS disk
    partition, it blocks networked access to the Program Files and Windows
    folders and to individual users' folders (but not the "All Users"
    folder) within Documents and Settings. I think that's a bad design,
    but that's how Microsoft did it.

    You can share subfolders within those folders, e.G. you can share
    "C:\Program Files\Outlook Express" or "C:\Documents and
    Settings\Username\Desktop" and access that folder from another
    computer on the network.

    In Windows XP Professional, you can disable simple file sharing, which
    removes those sharing restrictions.
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.za.windowsxp.networking (More info?)

    Solution found,

    It wasn't the upgrade to SP2 afterall, it was the immediate installation of
    Sunbelt's CounterSpy right after the SP2 install.

    There are security optimizations which the anti-spyware program performs -
    one of which closes a potential hole of "Restrict Anonymous Access". That
    registry entry has been subsequently restored - and now I have access to my
    other computers.

    I hope this helps others.
    Thanks.

    "William Cheng @work" <NOSPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have a problem with my existing network at home - I have had a fully
    > functional network at home with 2 desktops and 2 wireless laptops sharing
    > an internet connection via Linksys router on WinXP. The problems occured
    > after I upgraded one of my laptops and one of my desktops to SP2. The
    > upgrade went flawlessly. However, when I click on the network
    > neighbourhood and select one of my four computers - I get an dialog;
    > "Computer Name is not accessible... you may not have permissions...
    > contact network administrator... Access denied" I am logged in as the
    > administrator. What had changed? I still see all my computers in the
    > neighbourhood.
    >
    > Simple File Sharing is set on
    > I have shared certain directories and drives before I upgraded to SP2
    > I've checked the firewall - and filesharing exception is checked.
    > I've got internet sharing on all computers
    > I've pinged each computer and I get a return
    > I've confirmed that Computer Browser in Services has started and is
    > automatic
    > I've tried TCP/IP advanced from standard to NetBios over TCP/IP
    > I've tried the network wizard disk on all computers
    > I've renamed my workgroup to HOME and each computer to ONE, TWO, THREE,
    > FOUR
    >
    > None of these seem to work to allow me access so far. Funny
    > occassionally, I see a shared documents folder in my Network Places, and I
    > can copy to it - but I can open the computers themselves. Is there
    > something new in SP2 that I need to set permissions? I haven't set any
    > passwords for anything - its only my wife and I at home, so we each just
    > log on with our names without passwords and WindowsXP just loads onto the
    > desktop without asking (which is how we prefer it). I actually
    > re-installed WinXP (SP2 slipstreamed) on my desktop - thinking something
    > got mucked up in the upgrade - but still no go. So far I have very little
    > back on my desktop - its still pretty much a bare clean install - just
    > updated from MS, MS Office and Norton SystemWorks 2005 - but NO Internet
    > Security.
    >
    > Help, any suggestions would be helpful.
    > Wm

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.za.windowsxp.networking (More info?)

    A Solution!

    It wasn't WinXP SP2 after all, it was Sunbelt's CounterSpy. In its efforts
    to tighten security, it changed a registry setting so that it no longer
    allowed anonymous logon. Unfortunately, the program cannot reverse its
    setting and un-installing it does not reverse this setting either.
    Fortunately after e-mailing Sunbelt's support, they were able to create a
    REG file for me to patch my registry - which solved it!

    Thanks to all who helped - and I hope this solution may help those in the
    future.

    "William Cheng @work" <NOSPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have a problem with my existing network at home - I have had a fully
    > functional network at home with 2 desktops and 2 wireless laptops sharing
    > an internet connection via Linksys router on WinXP. The problems occured
    > after I upgraded one of my laptops and one of my desktops to SP2. The
    > upgrade went flawlessly. However, when I click on the network
    > neighbourhood and select one of my four computers - I get an dialog;
    > "Computer Name is not accessible... you may not have permissions...
    > contact network administrator... Access denied" I am logged in as the
    > administrator. What had changed? I still see all my computers in the
    > neighbourhood.
    >
    > Simple File Sharing is set on
    > I have shared certain directories and drives before I upgraded to SP2
    > I've checked the firewall - and filesharing exception is checked.
    > I've got internet sharing on all computers
    > I've pinged each computer and I get a return
    > I've confirmed that Computer Browser in Services has started and is
    > automatic
    > I've tried TCP/IP advanced from standard to NetBios over TCP/IP
    > I've tried the network wizard disk on all computers
    > I've renamed my workgroup to HOME and each computer to ONE, TWO, THREE,
    > FOUR
    >
    > None of these seem to work to allow me access so far. Funny
    > occassionally, I see a shared documents folder in my Network Places, and I
    > can copy to it - but I can open the computers themselves. Is there
    > something new in SP2 that I need to set permissions? I haven't set any
    > passwords for anything - its only my wife and I at home, so we each just
    > log on with our names without passwords and WindowsXP just loads onto the
    > desktop without asking (which is how we prefer it). I actually
    > re-installed WinXP (SP2 slipstreamed) on my desktop - thinking something
    > got mucked up in the upgrade - but still no go. So far I have very little
    > back on my desktop - its still pretty much a bare clean install - just
    > updated from MS, MS Office and Norton SystemWorks 2005 - but NO Internet
    > Security.
    >
    > Help, any suggestions would be helpful.
    > Wm

    What is the registry fix? I am having the SAME problem. thanks...

    --
    Sparky1641

Network Access Microsoft Windows XP