Sign in with
Your question

PS3 Blinking Red Light

Last response: in Other Consumer Electronics
January 22, 2010 7:52:40 AM

Help!

One day I decided to update my 40GB Sony Playstation 3 to system update 3.15. After that, I decided to play Battlefield Bad Company. But alas, I could not get past the first loading screen, before it crashed and burned.

Leading up to this, my PS3 had developed a very loud fan noise. I had assumed that the noise was normal, but now I am thinking otherwise. Any help?

Now I cannot even start up my PS3 and hundreds of dollars has gone down the drain. If anyone knows of anyway to fix this, I would appreciate it.

-Klosteral

More about : ps3 blinking red light

January 26, 2010 12:14:12 AM

Klosteral said:
Help!

One day I decided to update my 40GB Sony Playstation 3 to system update 3.15. After that, I decided to play Battlefield Bad Company. But alas, I could not get past the first loading screen, before it crashed and burned.

Leading up to this, my PS3 had developed a very loud fan noise. I had assumed that the noise was normal, but now I am thinking otherwise. Any help?

Now I cannot even start up my PS3 and hundreds of dollars has gone down the drain. If anyone knows of anyway to fix this, I would appreciate it.

-Klosteral

Well the first thing to do would be to call Sony. But Im guessing dont want to do that cause your warrenty has expired, and thats why you posted here. Red light usually means HDD malfunction or failure. The PS3 fan gets very loud when the system begins to get too hot. Are you getting the heat warning from the PS3? Make sure your ps3 isnt in a confined spot and that its getting proper air flow.

As far as the red light, you might want to try taking out the HDD and re seating it.
Hope I helped!
February 6, 2010 12:21:35 AM

I have already called SONY and they want to chage me $250 to repair it. Even so, I would need to do more than 4GB worth of updating, I would loose all of my data and save games... even the disc that was in the drive when it crashed. The SONY support option is definetely out of the question.

As opposed to the idea of removing the HDD and putting it back in, I would have no clue where to start, without risk of completely and utterly destroying it.

If there were any reliable links to walkthrough videos or documents, that would be appreciated.

And, yes, you helped.

Cheers
-Klosteral
Related resources
February 6, 2010 1:03:52 AM

Ok well here is a pretty decent walkthrough on how to change a PS3 HDD. This will show you how to get into that PS3. Also on youtube many people have videos, just search "Upgrade PS3 Hard Drive" and you should get some hits.
February 17, 2010 1:10:26 PM

My best friend had the same exact issue right around the same time Battlefield 2 came out. Right after he downloaded the System Update his PS3 did the same thing. He called Sony and talked to someone about the problem and they sent him a box to return it. About 3 weeks later they sent him the new PS3 with more memory but it had less USB ports and he lost all of his saved game info.

Not sure why it happens because we both got our PS3's on the same day and (knock on wood) my PS3 is still runnning like a champ. But then again he lets his kids play constantly and that might have contributed to its demise! I rarely let my kids play on my machine and this Christmas I went out and bought one for them.

I dont remember him ever saying that he had to pay $250 though? I guess thats where the warrentee comes in to play. We bought ours from Best Buy and they always ask if you want to purchase the 2 year insurance should something go wrong. Normally I say no, but in this case it was worth having.
September 30, 2013 2:37:01 PM

red light of death. u was playing in a very hot time. now uer ps3 lens got fried!
!