Is there a card that meets these specs?

halfpower

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2005
I would like a TV/FM card that meets the criteria below. I've been looking around for some time but have not found anything. I like the Hauppauge but I do not know if it has built-in A/D converters...

1) tunes FM and TV
2) has an external stereo analog audio output
3) has stereo analog to digital audio converters built
in

I'm using this card mostly for capturing audio. Quality audio from the external analog output and the internal digital output is my top priority. 16bit@44100Hz or 16bit@48000 Hz are probably good bit/sample rates for the converter. I do not intend to capture video. Quality video is not a priority. If there is more than one card that meets these parameters I would like to know. Good performance (efficient use of the various system resources) is, as always, preferred.

Thank you for any recommendations or advice,

- = h a l f p o w e r = -

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You're loony!

TV cards do NOT CAPTURE AUDIO! They simply output TV audio to the sound card. Cards with audio inputs simply pass the sound through to the sound card as well. If you want to input audio at the best quality, use a SOUND card that offers this feature!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

halfpower

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2005
They do capture audio, at least by my definition. I know most of them have an analog output that is intended for the sound card. What I'm not sure of is whether or not some TV cards do an A/D conversion on the card and output the audio to the soundcard via the PCI bus.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I haven't seen any, the only ones I've seen output analog sound to the sound card.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

lb19984

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2003
the hdtv wonder doesnt have an audio outto the sound card so i'm guessing thats what ure looking for

<A HREF="http://www.freewebs.com/lb19984/" target="_new">My Rig</A>

avidday

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2005
Actually he is not a loony and you are basically 100% incorrect. Just about all the common PCI TV capture chipsets have onboard audio A/D converters for audio streaming onto the PCI bus. They also have I2C controlled digital audio pass through for digital audio sources, the most common being NICAM stereo decoder ICs (stereo analog TV audio in the UK, France, Scandinavia and a lot of central Europe is broadcast using a multichannel, 32kHz digitally encoding system transmitted in the side band along with standard AM mono audio). These days there are only really two big players in the TV chipset market - Connexant and Philips.

Connexant have two common PCI TV capture ICs - the Fusion 87x and CX288x familys. The Fusion 878 has a single channel A/D converter that captures 16bit LE signed audio at 32-448kHz - most boards have a line from the Tuner or audio switching IC to the A/D converter. The CX288x family have a more sophisticated audio processor that can do AM and FM-FM analog inputs at 32kHz and 44.1kHz onto the PCI bus. It also has a NICAM digital stereo decoder onboard. Just about all of Hauppauge's analog capture cards without an MPEG decoder are BT878 or CX288x based, as are most of Pinnacles older cards and most LeadTek cards. The BT878 has been by far the most common capture IC on the market over the last 4 years or so, although Connexant are trying to phase it out in favour of the CX288x. Even so the mainland Chinese OEMs continue to churn out BT878 based cards by the thousands under literally hundreds of different brandnames. The CX288x is also very common found on "Blackbird" reference design cards with the companion cx23416 MPEG2 encoder chip - most of the new Hauppauge WinTV PVR cards are based on the "Blackbird" referece design.

Philips have two major families of PCI capture IC's - the SAA713x and the SAA7146. The latter is usually only seen on MPEG capture cards (like the Philips "Empress" reference design) and a lot of the first generation DVB-S reciever cards (which were almost all based on either Siemens or Technotrend reference designs). The SAA713x is becoming very common - it has an AM and FM-FM decoder and onboard A/D convertor for audio that can capture at 32kHz, 44.1kHz and 48kHz. It also has a NICAM digital stereo audio reciever. Most of Pinnacle's newer analog and analog-DVB hybrid cards use the SAA7134, Asus's TV-FM cards use either the SAA7133 or SAA7135, as do a lot of the Compro cards. There are also a couple of Chinese mainland OEMs offering samples of SAA7133 cards based on slightly modified copies of Philips reference design, so they should become even more common in the near future.

All of the abovementioned chipsets also show up in a lot of Digital TV receiver cards, although they are usually only being used as a PCI bridge and I2C bus controller in those applications - an external digital TV dmux IC takes the signal from the tuner, demuxes the stream and outputs the MPEG-TS to the TV chip for PCI bus master transfers. On BT878 and SA7146 based cards the MPEG-TS stream goes over the digital audio input line, the CX288x and SAA713x chips have dedicated MPEG stream input ports for external MPEG sources like analog encoder chips and digital TV demux chips. Even though many of these terrestrial digital TV cards are theoretically capable of analog TV capture, almost all of them cannot because the Tuner is only connected to the digital tv demux chip and not the TV capture chip itself. The Pinnacle Mediacentre 300i is one of the few that can do both analog and digital reception on the same card.

I personally own a couple of Hauppauge Win-TV PCI's (BT878) and a Pinnacle Medicenter 300i (SAA7134 + Zarlink MT352 DVB-T demod) in home theatre/PVR PCs and I record TV audio directly off the card without a pass through cable and without using the PCs own sound card to capture audio. I can simultaneously timeshift one program while recording another or record two programs on different channels simultaneously without the need to use the A/D converter on the PC sound card - it also means you can record without having to mute the sound card output volume if you don't want to hear what you are recording.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
All of my TV cards have used analog outputs to the soundcard, but I can only refer to cards I've used. I just got a TVWE and it's the first I've owned using digital audio compression (to the PCI bus).

avidday

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2005
I would be willing to bet that whatever TV capture card(s) you had before were perfectly capable of analog audio capture - *unless* it contained a Brooktree BT848 or Zoran MJPEG capture chip. Just about every other TV card made in the last 5 years will have been based on a capture chip with an audio ADC. Note I am talking about audio capture and not compression - the audio comes across the PCI bus as an uncompressed stream (similar to .wav).

Your shiny new TV Wonder Elite contains an ATI MPEG2 compression chip which is rather interesting in that it packages the PCI bus master controller, video and audio ADCs, elementary MPEG2 video and audio compression and stream mutiplexing into a single chip. The only other IC on the board looks to be an input signal switcher. The competing designs from Philips and Connexant do it with two chips - most MPEG enocoder chips don't feature a PCI interface and require something like a CX288x or SAA7135/SAA7146 to act as a bridge. This is how the Hauppauge PVR family of MPEG2 capture boards work.

im1withthematrix

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
i was wondering what video capture card i buy to hook my playstation 2 and gamecube up to my pc. i would want to do this to play my games in higher resolutions, if possible, and also to have the sound be processed through my sound card.

system specs.
p4 3.0 ghz
1 gig corsair mem
assylum 5900
creative audigy 2 Zs

avidday

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2005
Higher resolution than what? You can't magically increase the resolution of your GameCube or PS2 - it comes out at 480 or 576 lines (depending on which TV standard you use) and that is the maximum resolution you will ever see. If you were to sample the output of a console at higher resolution, all that would happen is that you would wind up with blank overscan at the top and bottom of the sampled image. If you sample at the TV output resolution (say 768x576 in the case of 4:3 PAL), and then view it as 1024x768, you have only made the image larger, you haven't increased its resolution - you can't create additional picture detail out of thin air!

im1withthematrix

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
ok i get ur point. the reason i wanted to run the gamecube/ps2 through my computer using a video capture card is because i want better image quality, the tv im using right now is not the greatest, what should i do?

im1withthematrix

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
i want to run the ps2/gamecube signal through a tv or video capture card which would then be displayed on my monitor, disregard what i said about the running it at a higher resolution(i thought the video capture card would convert the incomming signal and be able to out the picture at a higher resolution) i just want sharper image quality.

avidday

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2005
Use S-video outputs from your consoles rather than composite, if you are not already doing so, otherwise get a better TV. In short, there is *very* little likelyhood that a signal path like Console(Digital->Analogue)->PC(Analogue->Digital->Analogue)->Monitor will ever be better in quality than Console(Digital->Analogue)->TV, no matter how much money you spend on an Analogue video capture card.

im1withthematrix

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
ok, ill scrap that idea. any recomendations on t.v.s, the one i have right know only has one connection and thats for the antenna. i want to get something with decent quality but dont want to spend so much money becuase im giong to upgrade to hdt v when the new consoles come out(considering they have and lcd with fast enough response times) so ill prbly only be using the tv for the next year or two. thanx for the help, more than likely u prbly just saved me a ton of money.

TRENDING THREADS