corbincorn

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
Is there anyway to shutdown a Xbox 360 remotely? Besides the controllers? I tried connecting the xbox to a computer then bringing up the command prompt in windows and typing Shutdown -m \\(Xboxs IP) -s but of course that didnt work. Im thinking of trying it with Linux also.

The reason I ask is because I work at a lan center and I was looking for a easier solution to turn off the xboxs.

Supe_

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009

Hi corbincorn,
Here is one possibility but I am not sure of it. Stick with me here.

I have a homebuilt HTPC that I use Windows Media Center on. I also have the Harmony One remote that I programmed as a Media PC remote (AKA WMC remote). It works great. It turns on the HTPC, the receiver on the right input, the Plasma on the right input and I have remote functionality in WMC. My one weird problem is that it also turns my xbox 360 on and off because the Xbox 360 is a media extender for WMC and therefor a media PC. So I keep it unplugged until I want to play it.
I am not suggesting the Harmony One as that would be ridiculously expensive for what you want.
But maybe you could try something like this REMOTE $16.95 at Amazon. You won't need to use the USB IR receiver as every Xbox already has IR receiver built in. At worst you could use the yellow button to get to the shutdown option, at best the power button turns the xboxes on and off. Now that would be cool.

corbincorn

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010

Interesting... Did you have to sync that remote at all to the Xbox? I might just buy this to try it out. Ill post the results. Ive been searching the web for a answer to this and I was surprised to see nobody had tried it before.

Supe_

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
no, no need to sync. I jsut noticed it kept turning the damn thing on LOL Then I checked to see if worked to get to the WMC and it's functionality and it worked.