Sign in with
Your question

Looking for a laptop, please help.

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
September 5, 2009 10:39:21 AM

1_What is your budget?
~$1000 US

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
~17in - the bigger the better

3_What screen resolution do you want?
What's good for a sharp looking 17in screen? 1080p or is there something better? I have an ultrasharp 20" screen (1680x1050) at home, so anything too cheap looking will really be glaring.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Desktop replacement. I care less about mobility, and more about raw power. Seeing my cursor change from the arrow pointer to the hourglass and the computer lagging really makes me mad - so yeah, I'm gonna need a decent processor and at least 4GB of DDR2 ram.

5_How much battery life do you need?
The longer the better, I'm thinking at least 4hrs.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Yeah, I'd like to play games. I'm probably looking at perhaps Diablo 3 when it releases. Also Age of Empires 3, Civilization 4, Chessmaster - nothing too crazy. I'll play the fps at home.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing, surfing the web, playing music, watching movies, Etc.)
Surfing the web; playing music; watching movies; work with MS Office apps; Photoshop; Rosetta Stone; burning DVDs; and other stuff a grad student would need.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
The more the better, naturally. However, I'd prefer a faster HDD over sheer size. At least 7200rpm; and at least 300GB.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.
Anywhere that's a trusted site. I was looking at the HP site.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
2-4 years.

11_If you would like to mention some other things about purchasing your ideal laptop, post them.
I want a black one or very dark gray. No childish looking designs like some of the new HPs - although I'd be willing to ignore them if the price is right for good specs.
Windows Vista x64 (with options to upgrade to Win7).
Full sized keyboard would be nice; don't really care about a numpad though.
e-SATA for my external HDD.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I generally like HPs - is it still considered a good brand? NO MACS and NO DELL. I'm neutral to most other brands, although the Sonys have always been overpriced.

13_What country do you live in?
Los Angeles, USA.

Thanks in advance for the help!

More about : laptop

September 7, 2009 9:13:27 PM

Anyone got suggestions, or are my expectations not realistic for ~$1000?

Also, for sites that let me customize the laptop features, is it generally better to pay the extra $20-50 to upgrade things like HDD and RAM, or better to go with the cheapest they offer and then buy better hardware on sale and install them yourself?

(is installing stuff like graphics cards, RAM and HDD just a matter of plugging in the pieces like on a desktop, or will I need to open the whole laptop case up and solder stuff in?)
Related resources
September 8, 2009 12:40:23 PM

:lol: 

I missed that i guess, but it's a good spec, considering the budget. Plus you covered for 2 years.

Intel Core™ 2 Duo P8600 (3MB cache/2.4GHz/1066Mhz FSB)
4GB4 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM3 at 1067MHz
FullHD Widescreen 16.0 inch RGBLEDHD LCD .
BluRay ComboDVD+/-RW Drive
500GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive
ATI Mobility RADEON HD 4670 – 1GB
2Yr Warranty.

http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/notebooks/laptop-studio-...

What do you think?
September 9, 2009 7:54:44 AM

Thanks for all the links, guys. The XPS doesn't seem too bad, actually, but I'm trying to stay away from Dells in general. I've come across some really badly made Dell PCs in my time, not to mention their OS that's inflated with Dell addons...so yeah, I want to avoid that at all costs.

The Alienware is just way beyond my budget. The M17 seemed reasonable, so I checked it out, but the version at $999 turned out to be a barebones system...anything decent will end up to be around $1500 at least.

The MSI mentioned earlier looks really good, however. I also checked out that xoticpc site and found some nice looking Sager laptops...looks like I'm going to have to read some more reviews and post some of my final choices to see what you all think...

Thanks again.
September 10, 2009 5:36:06 PM

ibnsina said:
Also have a look at Alienware is got Powerful Graphics performance (owned by Dell).

Alienware Area-51 m15x Prices start from $1049
Alienware M17 Prices start from $999
Alienware M17x Prices start from $1799

http://www.alienware.com/products/m17-notebook.aspx?Sys...

Gets good reviews

http://hothardware.com/Articles/Alienware-M17x-DualGPU-...

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2350263,00.asp

http://www.geek.com/articles/games/review-alienware-m17...

did you read anything he wrote???
no dell, which means no alienware
he wants to pay around $1000,- not $1800

I'm not so sure about the xotic laptop, it's very overpriced and not that great, unless you have the extra money to upgrade some components.

Take a look at this
http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Xplorer_X5-5900_Note...

the only bad thing is the 2 gb ram,
you can upgrade it to 4 but then it'll be $945,- but it will be ddr3 1333mhz
+$5 gives you 320 GB instead of 250 on the hard drive
but with the taxes and all, it will go above the $1000
keep looking anyway

(alienware and dell are way overpriced)
September 10, 2009 5:44:37 PM

actually the alienware m17 doesn't look too bad
but it has 2 gig ram and upgrading that will cost you 200 dollars
and it has 160 gb on the harddrive
+tax, it will also go above the $1000 budget
September 10, 2009 6:28:42 PM

I think you are shooting yourself twice in the foot here, firstly by not reading this

Quote:

I missed that i guess, but it's a good spec, considering the budget.

And secondly

Ehsan w said:
no dell, which means no alienware

Ehsan w said:
actually the alienware m17 doesn't look too bad

:non: 
September 11, 2009 2:50:12 PM

ibnsina said:
I think you are shooting yourself twice in the foot here, firstly by not reading this

Quote:

I missed that i guess, but it's a good spec, considering the budget.

And secondly

:non: 

I said the m17, I didn't say anything about the other alienware's
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 11, 2009 3:40:03 PM

The best thing i would like to confess according to the experience of mine in the computer seems to be great and fine .

So, you need to look up for the good company first , the company depends upon you country . So, you need a great company i would confess than only buy a computer than has as much as warranty it offers than you will not need to worry about all the things i have experience in the computer life.

To be honest and simple fine and great computer

4 GB OF RAM
300 HD STORAGE
2 PROCERROS
SOME GREAT SOFTWARE YOU NEED
32 bit is fine

This is enough for a great computer.

If you follow my instruction th an you will probably enjoy a great computer
!