Need laptop for college and new home

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlbertoEAF

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2009
Deciding factors: processing power, weight and battery life

1_What is your budget?
i'm thinking around 1000$ - but if there's something sweet above this price i'll consider it

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
around 15 or 16 inches of screen and the lighter the better because i need to carry it to college

3_What screen resolution do you want? >= 1280*1024 and <= 1920-1440

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
I'm going to a new home and to college and i won't take my desktop. The laptop is all I (will) have. I want a fast processor Core 2 duo or quad and 4 Gb of RAM because I'll do a lot of work and don't want the equipment to get in my way.

5_How much battery life do you need?
I plan to take it to the classes so the more the better and the minimum probably is 3 hours.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Yes, Medieval total war 2 in medium/high, some shooters like battlefield 2142 in high and maybe crysis in medium. maybe I'll buy diablo 3 and starcraft 2 :D the more performance the better but this is not a requirement, especially if it gets in the way of my deciding factors.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing, surfing the web, playing music, watching movies, Etc.)
I like to hear music a lot when I'm using the pc and I spend a lot of time on the web. I may do some photo editing but probably I won't do much video editing if at all. Watching movies will occur occasionally.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
I'll have a 500Gb external drive at home for backups,etc. so 100-200Gb are enough although the more the better (up to 500GB) though speed is more important than capacity.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.
Any reliable source. I have used this 2 once upon a time but they are in portuguese:
http://www.nuno-candeias.pt/
http://www.pcdiga.com/pcdiga/

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
During 5/6 years of college and maybe longer if it still is acceptable at that point

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. I would like to buy from asus - they seem to have very reliably and well designed products. Toshiba is another option :)
I would like to avoid hp and acer because I've heard bad things about faulty products and bad customer assistance when your hardware is in trouble. ( although i loved those hp with rotating screens that turned the pc into a "frame" and also had touchscreen )

13_What country do you live in? portugal

AlbertoEAF

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2009
Hmm , interesting. I customized it with a 2.53Ghz processor , etc and it was at 1069$ - great price for the hardware but I know nothing about it's weight and life battery and also I live in Portugal, Europe and that brand is from EUA and the insurance/support is too costly (since I want to use the laptop for a long time and I don't know how reliable the hardware is and if i add the support the pc costs +350$ :( )

AlbertoEAF

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2009
Hi again and thanks for replying

I've seen the details at that page and it has 3-4 hours of battery life and under 3kg / 6.6lbs !!
Compared to the Asus G51vx that is my dream laptop ( if it had a weight and battery life as good as this one ).
http://www.xoticpc.com/custom-gamin...ops-notebooks-15416-laptops-ct-95_51_149.html

So you recommend me that above any asus/toshiba right?

The specs are really good for the price and what you say about these 2 users is reassuring however this page is scaring me:
Complaints because as I said I need the laptop to last for 5/6 years.

About resellers there is none in Europe I think :(

Status
Not open for further replies.