Win7 "Not Working Properly"

kjriot

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
I know this is vague and I'll give any details I can if asked and I have them. Anyways, I recently bought a program called System Mechanic, just to help fix up some things or whatever these programs do. Upon trying to install it I would get an install loop, it would try, then say disconnected, and make me click to install again, just cycles. I contacted Iola (system mechanics company), the representative remotely logged into my system and tried to install it and failed. He then went into command prompt (/run whatever) and started typing things in, one of which being tree. After the tree command he typed in another one he said was a diagnostic of windows, tons of stuff went flying on the dialogue box and @ the end of it all it says "Windows 7 not working properly" He then tried to charge me 200$ to fix this. He also told me a fresh install of windows 7 would not fix my problem. So I'm hoping someone might know what my problem might be, how i could possibly find and/or fix this problem. Or even what the command he typed in was so i can google this all day. Any help would be greatly appriciated, Thanks.

Well I don't know about your program issues, but a fresh install can fix other issues (if you have them). I don't recommend formatting your hard drive, but if you can't run any part of your system without all of this pop-up stuff, I would format it. Of coarse $200 to fix it and not fix it, I wouldn't pay for them not fixing the problem.

I know that I'm not helping much, but thought you should know how I would try and fix things in general.

You brought this product because you had problems you wanted to fix? or just as a general "housekeeping" tool for your PC?

And did the tech guy make the situation worse? or did the fact that whatever he did... reported that your Wins 7 was not working correctly just scare you?

If he made it worse... you could try using the "system restore" facility to restore your system to the state it was before he messed with it...
But if you still have fundamental issues - it may not be a full fix.

Most of these products are pretty poor (in my limited experience... I dont trust them... so dont let them near my system..so I dont have a lot of experience with them).. most seem to do scans and make a big show of nothing (e.g. make a big song and dance about finding tracking cookies on your syetem... well whoppie f'ing do)... its in their interest to scare you... and make you think they doing a good job... so they "big up" anything they can. And they are rubbish at fixing anyting but the easy stuff.

Anyway - I digress....

Once you got it back to how it was... post back here with what you rreal problem was.. and perhaps we can help fix the root problem... or we may have to advise you that its best to do a clean resinstall... But th tech guy was talking crap - unless you have actuall hardware issues... a fresh install should result in a beutify clean and fully functioning Windows install.

Cheers

I will repeat what others have been saying here, there is no need for a program like system mechanic, in my experience they don't solve problems with your computer you usually have to sort them out for yourself or do a reinstall of the operating system. Report here as to what problems you have with your Windows system.

kjriot

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
Well, I did buy it as a general fix to my issues. heres my specs real fast
Asus Maximus IV Extreme-z mobo
I7-2600k CPU
SLI GTX 580 3GB
16GB Gskill ram
Pro 1250W XFX PSU
Samsung 830 series 256GB SSD (for OS and main programs)
seagate 750 GB Solid State Hybrid Drive (storage drive)
all water cooled (360+120 rad)

I've had various issues from wierd system lag, to BSOD's. I'm unsure if he made it worse or forced the pc's hand to say it wasn't working properly, as i said he did some form of command prompt diagnostic and it said windows not working properly. He told me afresh install would not work. I did try using my windows 7 disc start up repair but it didnt do much, and for some reason my PC doesnt let me factory restore or nothing like that, prolly cause its custom built by me. I'm not the most computer literate. I also have issues with some other programs not working e.t.c.

kjriot

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
i couldnt seem to get that memtest86 but i ran one from my admin tools twice, which did 2 passes each time and it said it had no memory errors to report.

I hate being so illiterate. I can't even remember how to bring up a list someone showed me that just showed a massive list of errors from different processes. Most of which were internet related i believe but, just really bothers me. I'm really at a loss here. I can't even seem to get my back up hdd to be read by my pc atm to even back up my programs and what not.