How important is memory?

Hi everyone.
I'm building a computer. The basics are AMD 64, 3500, Mobo Asus A8N SLI deluxe, and Asus GeForce 6800GT.
As for memory, i've got two options: either to get normal C3 kingston two 512 stick mems, or to get a Corsair twinX1024 with a 2-2-2-5 latency, which will cost me double.
I'm not an extreme user but i will probably OC to a reasonable limit.
The question is this: How much does this even effect the comps performance?
will i feel a significant difference between a C3, and a C2 ram stick?
Please advise.
Thanks.
11 answers Last reply
More about important memory
  1. Depends how much you OC I guess. If you can swing it, I'd go for the Corsair memory, or maybe go for a pdp systems Patriot solution

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Enthusiast </b>!! </font color=green>
    <i> <font color=red> One new Firefox fan </font color=red> </i>
  2. That Kingston won't overclock much / if at all.

CAS3 is the higest CAS rating allowed, I'd get some nice RAM with timings 2-2-2-5 @ DDR400 (Samsung TCCD chips).

Patriot PDP Systems are a good cheaper brand with TCCD chips.

4. Oh sorry :redface: .

I think CAS2 - CAS3 is about a 5% difference. If your not o/c just get the CAS3

Any idea how much difference when i OC the CAS2? i mean, between a OCed CAS2 and a non OCed CAS3...
  6. lol, how longs a piece of string? Depends how much you overclock really doesnt it?
  7. Hehe well, yea.
    I'm no computer noob, but i'm a layman when it comes to OC. Never done it.
    Let's say i've managed to OC it to a stable mod, and it runs TWICE as fast, with HALF the latency.. that would still just make the difference 10-14%, right?
  8. Twice as fast? Methinks not, no RAM will overclock to double its speed. Thats like 400Mhz to 800Mhz! Never gonna happen. Most good RAM will overclock by about 25%, say you managed this and had good timmings I would expect about a 5-10% performance boost depending on the app.
  9. <A HREF="http://www.ocztechnology.com/aboutocz/press/2005/124" target="_new"> This </A> isn't half bad :smile:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Enthusiast </b>!! </font color=green>
  10. Wow, thats pretty darn impressive! But I doubt they could manufacture large numbers of modules that could operate at that speed snytime soon.
  11. Still, nice to see that SOMEBODY could do it :smile:

Ask a new question

Read More

Memory Asus