Styles

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2005

Ever since installing SP2, I am unable to connect to an FTP site via Internet
Explorer. The only time I can connect is to turn off the firewall. is there
a way I can resolve this issue? I want to be able to connect to an FTP site
without turning off the firewall.

styles

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"styles" <styles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ever since installing SP2, I am unable to connect to an FTP site via
> Internet
> Explorer. The only time I can connect is to turn off the firewall. is
> there
> a way I can resolve this issue? I want to be able to connect to an FTP
> site
> without turning off the firewall.
>
> styles

It is not good practice to turn of a firewall for any reason if you are
connected.
Start > Control Panel > Internet Options > Advanced >
[x] Use passive FTP (for firewall and DSL modem compatibility)

Styles

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2005

The following did not work

"Frank" wrote:

> "styles" <styles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ever since installing SP2, I am unable to connect to an FTP site via
> > Internet
> > Explorer. The only time I can connect is to turn off the firewall. is
> > there
> > a way I can resolve this issue? I want to be able to connect to an FTP
> > site
> > without turning off the firewall.
> >
> > styles
>
> It is not good practice to turn of a firewall for any reason if you are
> connected.
> Start > Control Panel > Internet Options > Advanced >
> [x] Use passive FTP (for firewall and DSL modem compatibility)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323446/
See:-How to change the Internet Explorer FTP Client mode

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

styles wrote:

> Ever since installing SP2, I am unable to connect to an FTP site via Internet
> Explorer. The only time I can connect is to turn off the firewall. is there
> a way I can resolve this issue? I want to be able to connect to an FTP site
> without turning off the firewall.
>
> styles

frodo

in your ftp client (assuming you're using one and not IE), type the
command:

quote pasv

to enter passive mode; this often gets things working thru a firewall.

Styles

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2005

If I dont have an ftp client do I need to get one. Will that resolve my ftp
ie firewall issue.

"frodo@theshire.org" wrote:

> in your ftp client (assuming you're using one and not IE), type the
> command:
>
> quote pasv
>
> to enter passive mode; this often gets things working thru a firewall.

Styles

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2005

How do i get there using ftp pro.