Start Menu Has A Mind Of Its Own

Quite often when I am working on my laptop (Dell D600 XPSP2), for no apparent
reason the Start menu will pop up. For a while, I thought maybe I was bumping
the Windows logo key, but I have since become very conscious of not touching
it, and still the Start menu will just pop up. It does no damage; I can close
it immediately and continue.

But it is a major nuisance. Any ideas what is causing this and how to stop it?

Bill F

Your Windows key on the keyboard may be stuck,Try tapping it a few times
to free it up.

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

Bill F wrote:
> Quite often when I am working on my laptop (Dell D600 XPSP2), for no apparent
> reason the Start menu will pop up. For a while, I thought maybe I was bumping
> the Windows logo key, but I have since become very conscious of not touching
> it, and still the Start menu will just pop up. It does no damage; I can close
> it immediately and continue.
>
> But it is a major nuisance. Any ideas what is causing this and how to stop it?
>
> Bill F

S,
Thanks for the quick reply, but oh, were it only that simple. No, the key is
not stuck.
Bill F

"S.Sengupta" wrote:

> Your Windows key on the keyboard may be stuck,Try tapping it a few times
> to free it up.
>
> regards,
> ssg MS-MVP
>
> Bill F wrote:
> > Quite often when I am working on my laptop (Dell D600 XPSP2), for no apparent
> > reason the Start menu will pop up. For a while, I thought maybe I was bumping
> > the Windows logo key, but I have since become very conscious of not touching
> > it, and still the Start menu will just pop up. It does no damage; I can close
> > it immediately and continue.
> >
> > But it is a major nuisance. Any ideas what is causing this and how to stop it?
> >
> > Bill F

Malke

Bill F wrote:

> S,
> Thanks for the quick reply, but oh, were it only that simple. No, the
> key is not stuck.
> Bill F
>
> "S.Sengupta" wrote:
>
>> Your Windows key on the keyboard may be stuck,Try tapping it a few
>> times to free it up.
>>
>> regards,
>> ssg MS-MVP
>>
>> Bill F wrote:
>> > Quite often when I am working on my laptop (Dell D600 XPSP2), for
>> > no apparent reason the Start menu will pop up. For a while, I
>> > thought maybe I was bumping the Windows logo key, but I have since
>> > become very conscious of not touching it, and still the Start menu
>> > will just pop up. It does no damage; I can close it immediately and
>> > continue.
>> >
>> > But it is a major nuisance. Any ideas what is causing this and how
>> > to stop it?
>> >
>> > Bill F

Since this is a new laptop, contact Dell Tech Support (I know, I know)
because it sounds like there is a hardware problem with your keyboard.
Before you do this, go to Dell's support site and download the latest
software for the keyboard for your specific machine. Reinstall it and
see if that helps. That way you can skip a step when talking to
Support. They may tell you to reinstall Windows, but I don't think this
will help. Be strong.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Malke,
Thanks for responding. I've actually had this laptop for about a year now,
but your idea of re-downloading the keyboard driver is a good one. Talking to
Dell Support is not ;-).
Bill F

"Malke" wrote:

> Bill F wrote:
>
> > S,
> > Thanks for the quick reply, but oh, were it only that simple. No, the
> > key is not stuck.
> > Bill F
> >
> > "S.Sengupta" wrote:
> >
> >> Your Windows key on the keyboard may be stuck,Try tapping it a few
> >> times to free it up.
> >>
> >> regards,
> >> ssg MS-MVP

> Since this is a new laptop, contact Dell Tech Support (I know, I know)
> because it sounds like there is a hardware problem with your keyboard.
> Before you do this, go to Dell's support site and download the latest
> software for the keyboard for your specific machine. Reinstall it and
> see if that helps. That way you can skip a step when talking to
> Support. They may tell you to reinstall Windows, but I don't think this
> will help. Be strong.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

F10 is menu access key. Ctrl + Escape is Start's key.

"Bill F" <BillF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1AA64394-C46E-4884-98EF-0CAF5E33939D@microsoft.com...
> Quite often when I am working on my laptop (Dell D600 XPSP2), for no apparent
> reason the Start menu will pop up. For a while, I thought maybe I was bumping
> the Windows logo key, but I have since become very conscious of not touching
> it, and still the Start menu will just pop up. It does no damage; I can close
> it immediately and continue.
>
> But it is a major nuisance. Any ideas what is causing this and how to stop it?
>
> Bill F

David,
Thanks for the quick reply. But hitting the windows logo key (next to Alt
key next to spacebar on many keyboards) also opens the Start menu window in
XP. Anyhow, not quite sure what your post was trying to tell me about what
might be causing this or how to resolve it ... ???

Bill F