Start Menu Has A Mind Of Its Own

Quite often when I am working on my laptop (Dell D600 XPSP2), for no apparent
reason the Start menu will pop up. For a while, I thought maybe I was bumping
the Windows logo key, but I have since become very conscious of not touching
it, and still the Start menu will just pop up. It does no damage; I can close
it immediately and continue.

But it is a major nuisance. Any ideas what is causing this and how to stop it?

Bill F
6 answers Last reply
More about start menu mind

    Your Windows key on the keyboard may be stuck,Try tapping it a few times
    to free it up.

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    Bill F wrote:
    > Quite often when I am working on my laptop (Dell D600 XPSP2), for no apparent
    > reason the Start menu will pop up. For a while, I thought maybe I was bumping
    > the Windows logo key, but I have since become very conscious of not touching
    > it, and still the Start menu will just pop up. It does no damage; I can close
    > it immediately and continue.
    >
    > But it is a major nuisance. Any ideas what is causing this and how to stop it?
    >
    > Bill F

    S,
    Thanks for the quick reply, but oh, were it only that simple. No, the key is
    not stuck.
    Bill F

    Bill F wrote:

    > S,
    > Thanks for the quick reply, but oh, were it only that simple. No, the
    > key is not stuck.
    > Bill F
    >
    > "S.Sengupta" wrote:
    >
    >> Your Windows key on the keyboard may be stuck,Try tapping it a few
    >> times to free it up.
    >>
    >> regards,
    >> ssg MS-MVP
    >>
    >> Bill F wrote:
    >> > Quite often when I am working on my laptop (Dell D600 XPSP2), for
    >> > no apparent reason the Start menu will pop up. For a while, I
    >> > thought maybe I was bumping the Windows logo key, but I have since
    >> > become very conscious of not touching it, and still the Start menu
    >> > will just pop up. It does no damage; I can close it immediately and
    >> > continue.
    >> >
    >> > But it is a major nuisance. Any ideas what is causing this and how
    >> > to stop it?
    >> >
    >> > Bill F

    Since this is a new laptop, contact Dell Tech Support (I know, I know)
    because it sounds like there is a hardware problem with your keyboard.
    Before you do this, go to Dell's support site and download the latest
    software for the keyboard for your specific machine. Reinstall it and
    see if that helps. That way you can skip a step when talking to
    Support. They may tell you to reinstall Windows, but I don't think this
    will help. Be strong.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke,
    Thanks for responding. I've actually had this laptop for about a year now,
    but your idea of re-downloading the keyboard driver is a good one. Talking to
    Dell Support is not ;-).
    Bill F

    "Malke" wrote:

    > Bill F wrote:
    >
    > > S,
    > > Thanks for the quick reply, but oh, were it only that simple. No, the
    > > key is not stuck.
    > > Bill F
    > >
    > > "S.Sengupta" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Your Windows key on the keyboard may be stuck,Try tapping it a few
    > >> times to free it up.
    > >>
    > >> regards,
    > >> ssg MS-MVP

    > Since this is a new laptop, contact Dell Tech Support (I know, I know)
    > because it sounds like there is a hardware problem with your keyboard.
    > Before you do this, go to Dell's support site and download the latest
    > software for the keyboard for your specific machine. Reinstall it and
    > see if that helps. That way you can skip a step when talking to
    > Support. They may tell you to reinstall Windows, but I don't think this
    > will help. Be strong.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    F10 is menu access key. Ctrl + Escape is Start's key.

    "Bill F" <BillF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1AA64394-C46E-4884-98EF-0CAF5E33939D@microsoft.com...
    > Quite often when I am working on my laptop (Dell D600 XPSP2), for no apparent
    > reason the Start menu will pop up. For a while, I thought maybe I was bumping
    > the Windows logo key, but I have since become very conscious of not touching
    > it, and still the Start menu will just pop up. It does no damage; I can close
    > it immediately and continue.
    >
    > But it is a major nuisance. Any ideas what is causing this and how to stop it?
    >
    > Bill F

    David,
    Thanks for the quick reply. But hitting the windows logo key (next to Alt
    key next to spacebar on many keyboards) also opens the Start menu window in
    XP. Anyhow, not quite sure what your post was trying to tell me about what
    might be causing this or how to resolve it ... ???

    Bill F

    "David Candy" wrote:

    > F10 is menu access key. Ctrl + Escape is Start's key.

    > "Bill F" <BillF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1AA64394-C46E-4884-98EF-0CAF5E33939D@microsoft.com...
    > > Quite often when I am working on my laptop (Dell D600 XPSP2), for no apparent
    > > reason the Start menu will pop up. For a while, I thought maybe I was bumping
    > > the Windows logo key, but I have since become very conscious of not touching
    > > it, and still the Start menu will just pop up. It does no damage; I can close
    > > it immediately and continue.
    > >
    > > But it is a major nuisance. Any ideas what is causing this and how to stop it?
    > >
    > > Bill F

Start Menu Microsoft Windows XP