PC power Failure

After installing a new graphic and sound card my PC suffered a power failure and the video card, power supply and hard drive had to be replaced. What caused this power failure?
4 answers Last reply
More about power failure
  1. What are your computer specs? And are you sure there is nothing else that could have shorted the PC? Ive had this happen to me once, it was with a graphics card that needed extra power directly from the power box, and somehow I did something wrong and I had to replace my graphics card... Never figured out what though. I probably gave it too much power.
  2. corbincorn said:
    What are your computer specs? And are you sure there is nothing else that could have shorted the PC? Ive had this happen to me once, it was with a graphics card that needed extra power directly from the power box, and somehow I did something wrong and I had to replace my graphics card... Never figured out what though. I probably gave it too much power.

My specs are as follows:
    Gateway LX6920-01 Computer
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q9400 (2.66GHz, 6MB L2 cache
    Memory: 8GB DDR3 Memory (4 x 2048MB Modules
    Hard Drive: 1 TB 7200RPM SATQA 2 32MB 3.5" ST31000528AS(PHARAOH) LF F/W:CC44
    VGA: PC Partner GeForce GT230 1.5 GB GDDR3 (192BITS) SAMSUNG VGA DVI HDMI VG>PCGT2.301 ATX BRACKET
    Chassis: Premium Tower Desktop w/Media Control Interface
    Audio: HD Audio w/(7.1) Channel Audio support
    Memory capacity: 8GB
    Modem: 56K ITU V.92 ready FAX/Modem (RJ-11 port)
    Systwmboard with Intel G43 Express Dhipset
    Network 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 port)
    Power Supply: 500 Watt
    I was installing a new video and sound card when I lost all power to the PC and had to retu rn to manufaturer since PC was under warranty>
  3. corbincorn said:
    What are your computer specs? And are you sure there is nothing else that could have shorted the PC? Ive had this happen to me once, it was with a graphics card that needed extra power directly from the power box, and somehow I did something wrong and I had to replace my graphics card... Never figured out what though. I probably gave it too much power.

My specs are as follows:
    Gateway LX6820-01 Computer
    VGA: PC Partner GeForce GT230 1.5 GB GDDR3 (192BITS) SAMSUNG VGA DVI HDMI VG>PCGT2.301 ATX BRACKET
    Systwmboard with Intel G43 Express Dhipset
    I was installing a new video and sound card when I lost all power to the PC and had to retu rn to manufaturer since PC was under warranty>
  4. corbincorn said:

My specs are as follows:
    Gateway LX6820-01 Computer
    Systemboard with Intel G43 Express Dhipset
    I was installing a new video and sound card when I lost all power to the PC and had to return to manufaturer since PC was under warranty, cards were EVGA 9800 GT and Asus Xonar D2X sound card
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Graphics Cards Power Sound Cards