JHsu

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2002
Hey y'all, got a problem with my DVD player. It's been working fine, up until about a couple days ago. It still reads CDs for Games and Music, but as soon as I put in a DVD, it starts to read really slowly. The picture in the DVD movie will move at a very low fps(not quite frame by frame, but a lot worse than it should be), audio will sound like it's slowed down, with lots of pauses, cracks and pops. I've tried using VideoLAN, WinDVD, Windows Media Player, and Realplayer, and all of them show this problem. Any ideas on how to fix this, or even where to start looking?

My Specs:

AMD Athlon XP 2000+
Asus A7V333 w/ 512 mb DDR333
Geforce 4 TI 4400
SB Live!
Toshiba SD-M1612 16x DVD ROM drive

RichPLS

Champion
I've seen similar problems when the laser and or pickup start to fail. Could be just needing cleaning, but could need laser and pickup replaced.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

sobelizard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
A thorough cleaning with a non-abrasive dvd cleaning kit would be a good start. You may have problems with your video codecs as well as resources issues if the problem only occurs with the DVD discs and not regular CD discs. If you have cd/dvd burning software installed on your pc, run the data transfer tests on the dvd drive and see what the data throughput reveals.

The good news is that new DVD players are cheap. Good luck.

<b><i>Powered by <font color=blue>V</font color=blue><font color=purple>E</font color=purple><font color=red>R</font color=red><font color=purple>T</font color=purple><font color=blue>O</font color=blue></b>
Fueled by <b><font color=blue>CL-</font color=blue><font color=red>ONE</font color=red></b>