change accountname using the command line

Hi,

does anybody know how i can change the name of an useraccount using the
command line like "net user /change old-name new-name"?

Thanks
1 answer Last reply
More about change accountname command line

    Robert wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > does anybody know how i can change the name of an useraccount
    > using the command line like "net user /change old-name new-name"?
    Hi,

    You could put the VBScript you find further below in this post into a
    ..vbs file, e.g. named renameuser.vbs. The script supports input
    arguments, so you run it from a command line with
    "cscript.exe renameuser.vbs old-name new-name".

    Here is the output on my computer when I run it from a command line:

    C:\>cscript.exe //nologo c:\scripts\renameuser.vbs user1 user2
    User account successfully renamed from user1 to user2

    If the script is able to rename the account, the errorlevel
    returned is 0, if it is not, errorlevel 1 will be returned.

    '--------------------8<----------------------
    '
    ' Script that renames a local user account
    ' Will return errorlevel 1 if it fails

    Set oArgs = Wscript.Arguments
    If oArgs.Count <> 2 Then
    WScript.Echo "Invalid input, needs to be: " & vbCrLf & vbCrLf _
    & WScript.ScriptName & " <old-name> <new-name>"
    WScript.Quit 1 ' return with errorlevel 1
    End If

    Set oWshNet = CreateObject("WScript.Network")

    ' get computer name for local computer
    sComputerName = oWshNet.ComputerName

    ' Turn off internal error handling
    On Error Resume Next

    ' connect to user object
    Set oUser = GetObject("WinNT://" & sComputerName & "/" _
    & oArgs(0) & ",user")

    If Err.Number = 0 Then
    Set oComputer = GetObject("WinNT://" & sComputerName)

    ' rename user
    Set oNewUser = oComputer.MoveHere(oUser.ADsPath, oArgs(1))

    If Err.Number = 0 Then
    WScript.Echo "User account successfully renamed from " _
    & oArgs(0) & " to " & oArgs(1)
    Else
    WScript.Echo "Was not able to rename user account from " _
    & oArgs(0) & " to " & oArgs(1)
    WScript.Quit 1 ' return with errorlevel 1
    End If

    Else
    WScript.Echo "User account " & oArgs(0) & " does not exist!"
    WScript.Quit 1 ' return with errorlevel 1
    End If

    WSH 5.6 documentation (local help file) can be downloaded from here
    if you haven't got it already:

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Microsoft Command Line Windows XP