Convert vs Format NTFS

July 19, 2005 11:52:01 PM

Question...

I already converted my HD from FAT32 to NFTS. I ran the "fsutil fsinfo
ntfsinfo c:" and it shows my cluster size of 4096 KB. BootIT NG also confirms
the 4KB cluster size.

So..Is that all I needed to do? Is there an advantage of formatting a HD
directly as NTFS?

Is the convert command (with the 4KB cluster size) enough or will a
re-format give better security, performance etc.?

P.S. I already converted to NTFS!

More about : convert format ntfs

Anonymous
July 20, 2005 3:16:07 AM

That's all you need to do. 4,096 is the optimum cluster size for NTFS. On odd occassions, the Convert command will give you a 512 cluster, due to the alignment (starting position) of the Partition. BootIt NG actually takes this into account, and if you tell it to create a new partition and format it using FAT32, one of the options is to "Align for NTFS conversion". If Convert gave you a 4,096 cluster size, formatting directly will not give you any better performance.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"cmcarthy" <cmcarthy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A1FDFFC8-986F-4898-A5F3-13523FDFF68B@microsoft.com...
> Question...
>
> I already converted my HD from FAT32 to NFTS. I ran the "fsutil fsinfo
> ntfsinfo c:" and it shows my cluster size of 4096 KB. BootIT NG also confirms
> the 4KB cluster size.
>
> So..Is that all I needed to do? Is there an advantage of formatting a HD
> directly as NTFS?
>
> Is the convert command (with the 4KB cluster size) enough or will a
> re-format give better security, performance etc.?
>
> P.S. I already converted to NTFS!
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 7:18:44 AM

Conversion to NTFS is like converting from Methodist to Baptist.
Either way your still a Christian.
"cmcarthy" <cmcarthy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Question...
>
> I already converted my HD from FAT32 to NFTS. I ran the "fsutil fsinfo
> ntfsinfo c:" and it shows my cluster size of 4096 KB. BootIT NG also
> confirms
> the 4KB cluster size.
>
> So..Is that all I needed to do? Is there an advantage of formatting a HD
> directly as NTFS?
>
> Is the convert command (with the 4KB cluster size) enough or will a
> re-format give better security, performance etc.?
>
> P.S. I already converted to NTFS!
July 20, 2005 7:32:13 AM

In article <uH1$flNjFHA.1232@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, dknox@mvps.org
says...
> That's all you need to do. 4,096 is the optimum cluster size for NTFS. On odd occassions, the Convert command will give you a 512 cluster, due to the alignment (starting position) of the Partition. BootIt NG actually takes this into account, and if you tell it to create a new partition and format it using FAT32, one of the options is to "Align for NTFS conversion". If Convert gave you a 4,096 cluster size, formatting directly will not give you any better
performance.

That's only partly true - Optimal for the "Norm" is more like it. In the
case of a large database setup, larger cluster sizes is better. In the
case of a lot of SMALL files, smaller 512byte cluster sizes is better.

It's all about the average size of files and how much slack space you
want to waste.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Thanks for the answer. The HD was formatted as FAT32 with Win XP and that's
why I believe I got the 4 KB cluster in one go.

Thanks again!

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

> That's all you need to do. 4,096 is the optimum cluster size for NTFS. On odd occassions, the Convert command will give you a 512 cluster, due to the alignment (starting position) of the Partition. BootIt NG actually takes this into account, and if you tell it to create a new partition and format it using FAT32, one of the options is to "Align for NTFS conversion". If Convert gave you a 4,096 cluster size, formatting directly will not give you any better performance.

> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> --------------------------------
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "cmcarthy" <cmcarthy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A1FDFFC8-986F-4898-A5F3-13523FDFF68B@microsoft.com...
> > Question...
> >
> > I already converted my HD from FAT32 to NFTS. I ran the "fsutil fsinfo
> > ntfsinfo c:" and it shows my cluster size of 4096 KB. BootIT NG also confirms
> > the 4KB cluster size.
> >
> > So..Is that all I needed to do? Is there an advantage of formatting a HD
> > directly as NTFS?
> >
> > Is the convert command (with the 4KB cluster size) enough or will a
> > re-format give better security, performance etc.?
> >
> > P.S. I already converted to NTFS!

Anonymous
July 20, 2005 2:35:08 PM

Its been said the convert will normally take 4KB cluster size.

I started from scratch, no partition etc. Used the XP HE install CD to
create and format a 26GB partition on empty space. The cluster size is 512
bytes. I did nothing but select NTFS for the partition. The empty space
was after two hidden primary partitions, and before an extended partition
with logical drives if that matters. All the remaining partitions were/are
FAT32.
"cmcarthy" <cmcarthy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Question...
>
> I already converted my HD from FAT32 to NFTS. I ran the "fsutil fsinfo
> ntfsinfo c:" and it shows my cluster size of 4096 KB. BootIT NG also
confirms
> the 4KB cluster size.
>
> So..Is that all I needed to do? Is there an advantage of formatting a HD
> directly as NTFS?
>
> Is the convert command (with the 4KB cluster size) enough or will a
> re-format give better security, performance etc.?
>
> P.S. I already converted to NTFS!
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 8:10:41 PM

Rich Barry wrote:

> Conversion to NTFS is like converting from Methodist to Baptist.
> Either way your still a Christian.

I've read an awful lot of stupid analogies here, but this one takes the
cake.

Stteve
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 2:08:35 AM

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 03:32:13 GMT, Leythos <void@nowhere.lan> wrote:

>It's all about the average size of files and how much slack space you
>want to waste.

Not only that - it's also about the processor's natural paging size
(4k), the speed impact of tiny clusters and fragmentation, etc.

Where data recovery is possible, larger clusters can make this easier,
but NTFS is so weak on that anyway that I don't think it's a factor.

Forget http://cquirke.blogspot.com and check out a
better one at http://topicdrift.blogspot.com instead!