Sign in with
Your question

Which of these computers would be better for video editing?

Last response: in Computer Brands
October 27, 2009 6:55:42 AM

Hi, I'm looking to buy a computer to edit HD videos, and I think I've narrowed it down to two choices, and I was hoping I could get some advice on which one would work better: 1) A Dell Studio Slim with a 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Q9400 (quad core), 6 GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB, and Windows 7. 2) An iMac with a 3.06 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 9400M, and Snow Leopard. As far as I can tell, both use the same kind of HDD.

Judging this purely on the basis of which machine would perform better for me while editing HD videos, which one do you think I should get?
October 27, 2009 1:40:18 PM

I think the dell would be better. Probably 2/3 of the price of the imac also.

The 4350 and 9400m are probably close performance wise.
m
l
October 27, 2009 11:52:12 PM

You're right, it's almost exactly 2/3 the price. The price difference is actually what made me unsure of which one's better. I don't know very much about computers, so I figured there might be something beyond specs that would make the iMac a better pick. I think I read somewhere that Macs are more efficient, so they put their resources to better use than PC's. At least that's what I think the article I read was trying to say. I'd definitely want to go on something more concrete than that if I'm going to spend an extra 400 bucks to buy the Mac. So I'll probably go with the Dell, unless I find out a benefit with picking the iMac that would be worth the higher cost.
m
l
Related resources
!